Recondition (or not) GT4 wheels before selling?

ms8qt

Guys,

As some of you already know I recently bought some LMGT4 wheels off 'zmanalex'. I'm now looking to sell my original 18" GT4 wheels. However...

...I had the wheels reconditioned about a year ago and the company told me at the time that they wouldn't recondition the entire depth of the alloy wheel but, once fitted, you wouldn't know otherwise (this sounded strange to me but apparently it was normal practice...is it though?). After they finished the job they all looked fantastic (once fitted) so I was happy. Anyway, I've noticed since Christmas that some sort of corrosion has taken place and is visible when the wheels are fitted (as you'll see in the photos)...I'm guessing this has happened on the border of where they stopped the reconditioning treatment. Should this have happened? If not, I'll try my best to get them to re-do them.

The tyres are Toyo T1R and all have LOADS of tread left as they're all quite new. I'm looking to sell all 4 and obviously want to get the best price for them. Please also take into account that there is some curbing on a couple of the wheels too. Question is, do I just clean them all up as best I can and sell them or do I do my best to get them in tip-top condition before selling? What would you do?

MANY thanks!

Mark.

[attachment=2]DSC04206.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]DSC04203.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]DSC04205.jpg[/attachment]

Guys,

As some of you already know I recently bought some LMGT4 wheels off 'zmanalex'. I'm now looking to sell my original 18" GT4 wheels. However...

...I had the wheels reconditioned about a year ago and the company told me at the time that they wouldn't recondition the entire depth of the alloy wheel but, once fitted, you wouldn't know otherwise (this sounded strange to me but apparently it was normal practice...is it though?). After they finished the job they all looked fantastic (once fitted) so I was happy. Anyway, I've noticed since Christmas that some sort of corrosion has taken place and is visible when the wheels are fitted (as you'll see in the photos)...I'm guessing this has happened on the border of where they stopped the reconditioning treatment. Should this have happened? If not, I'll try my best to get them to re-do them.

The tyres are Toyo T1R and all have LOADS of tread left as they're all quite new. I'm looking to sell all 4 and obviously want to get the best price for them. Please also take into account that there is some curbing on a couple of the wheels too. Question is, do I just clean them all up as best I can and sell them or do I do my best to get them in tip-top condition before selling? What would you do?

MANY thanks!

Mark.

Go back to the company who refurbed them, and see if they will redo them FOC :thumbs:

What ever you do make sure that if you get them powercoated rather than sprayed they use the low-temp version. If you put these wheels in a powercoating oven i.e. 300/400 degrees C then it can affect the structure and they are liable to crash or in the worse case snap

(US transport people investigated a number of failures over there and found it was due to people chroming/powercoating the 06+ forged wheels)

I've just contacted my local WickedWheels guy (who did the reconditioning a year ago) and have sent him photos of the problem. He said he'll drop by my house when he's in the area in about a week or so to take a closer look and advise further.

I'm going to do my best to get him to recondition them again (properly this time!) free-of-charge.

By the way, is it normal for these reconditioning companies not to recondition the entire wheel?...seems strange to me!

Mark.

Oh and I've used Bilberry wheel cleaner on them but it doesn't seem strong enough to remove the caked-on brake dust on the back of the wheel.

Can any of you recommend some really potent wheel cleaner that I can use as a one-off (only on the backs of the wheels) to remove that build-up of brake dust?

Thanks!