Yes, another ipod query, but bear with me...

rogerxp

I'd don't get my new car until the 9th June (an 08 plate GT Roadster) and appreciate that connecting your ipod is more of a makeshift set-up as opposed to being fully intergrated. I've searched quite a bit and picked up various points from previous discussions. The bottom line is either 1) change the head unit 2) use an FM transmitter or 3) use a tape converter.

I've noticed you can actually spec a new build car with an MP3 Connector for £132.81, so, as this quite obviously (I presume) connects directly to the existing BOSE head unit there MUST be a way to connect it (and therefore an aftermarket product) directly to the head unit.

I called my local dealer today to quiz them on this issue and whether the MP3 Connector is available through them to retro fit to my car. They came back with, what sounded like it, and a price of £195 fully fitted. They couldn't confirm anything more than that though i.e. how does it work, how do you connect it, how do you control it. I asked if they could order one for me to look at before committing to buy it but, as it's a 'special order' item, they wouldn't do it. They told me to pop in when I get my car and they'll hunt through the accessory brochures to see if they can find more information. I'm also guessing an ipod is compatible with the MP3 Connector!!

The question is has anyone else either got the 'MP3 Connector' option fitted or know anything about it.

Hi Roger, and welcome btw :)

I would imagine it's a hard linked FM transmitter. A bit like the Denison range;

http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/Densi ... _Modulator

I doubt you will be able to 'control' the ipod from the Bose though, such as changing artists or skipping tracks. You could probably get around that by setting up some good playlists.

Matt.

Yup, sounds like an FM transmitter. The factory fitted bose stereos have no additional connectors free to plug in add-on items and I didn't notice any free wires when I was replacing my HU. I seriously doubt they would be splicing into the factory loom (if that would even work!) so it will more than likely be an overpriced FM transmitter.

IMHO the best way to use your ipod is to change the HU from the crappy looking BOSE that looks like it came from the 80's!

My sister has a belkin FM transmitter and loves is, but you have to use the ipod to change tracks/playlists etc which i didn't like.

The only factory BOSE 350Z HU that can accept a proper iPod link is the US one, which has a connector in the back to allow Sirius XFM to be received.

with an aftermarket linkage from a company called USA-Spec a iPod link is possible.

the UK models do not have this connector so the option is not available to us.

Best bet is to buy an aftermarket HU I'm afraid.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm used to controlling the ipod from it's controls (as opposed to the HU/steer wheel) in my Beemer so it's just a side-step I suppose.

Lot's of the aftermarket solutions replace the CD Changer input but I suppose with the BOSE it's combined within the same using so that option it out (unless you can open up the HU & change the wiring). Or, I was thinking, just replace the tape player cables internally as that'll never get used but, as above, it's getting very complete and how would the HU even recognise the incoming signal.

Don't think I can be bothered changing the HU though (I've got Sat Nav but can't remember whether it integrated with the HU - don't get my car another week) so will go for an FM transmitter or a tape converter I reckon.

I'll still follow up the Dealer when I'm back from my jollies but I think you're right and it's just an overpriced transmitter. Will report back though...

Now that sounds like quite a good plan. If you could disconnect the tape from the inside and run a phono cable out somewhere discrete, but within reach, I'd be happy with that.

I'm on holiday this week & have a very slow connection but will search when I get home. If any good samaritans can find it and post the link on here I'm sure you'll be rewarded in... ...the boozer!!! ;)

Think I found the link...

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-video ... guide.html

I'm now a little bit more confused as the guy who started the thread is based in Singapore; would he have had a US or UK spec car??? Is there even a difference. A poster previously said that US spec cars had an extra input so presume it's UK spec.

I reckon a tape converter will probably do for my purposes, and seems the easiest, so may look into this further.

Tape converter is gash compared with an FM transmitter, but both are rubbish compared with a proper headunit connection. Honestly, ditch the Bose and get yourself something decent in there, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes, I know I was!

I have bought a Sony tape converter for my 08 roadster and it sounds fantastic - way better than my Belkin FM transmitter or my mates iTrip. I couldn't believe the difference. I've had crappy tape converters before but the Sony one is really impressive. I bought mine from Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd quickly report back following this recent thread with a conclusion. I've not been back to the Dealer to investigate the solution they offered however, having spoken to 'D350z' I decided to try out the Sony Tape Converter.

Got a used one off ebay but just shy of £6 and tested it out this morning. Sounds great to me. I'm actually pretty impressed by it and struggled to tell any difference between the sound quality from it versus CD.

Yeah, OK, there's a bit of wire hanging around but it's pretty thin so I'm sure I can squeeze it between some gaps somewhere to hide it better.

For the price it's worth people trying it before shelling out more cash on other options. You can always flog it again on ebay (think they were £12 new). I appreciate it doesn't charge and you have to control it from the ipod but it'll do for me. :thumbs: