Basic performance gains

Chris Ellis

Hi

I was hopeing to get a bit more go from my Zed with a basic stage 1 tune up.

I expected this to be an induction kit, a freer flowing exhaust and a remap but am struggling to find a compay offering it.

Some bits I have read suggest the ECU is not reprogramable, so am I searching for somethig that does not exist.

Any advice welcome

Chris

Hi bud and welcome to the forum :)

This is common in the USA but we have been in the wasteland until this week. As has been said we know have a uk company that can do it so great timing.

Stick a post up in the intro section so we can all say Hi :)

Hi

I was hopeing to get a bit more go from my Zed with a basic stage 1 tune up.

I expected this to be an induction kit, a freer flowing exhaust and a remap but am struggling to find a compay offering it.

Some bits I have read suggest the ECU is not reprogramable, so am I searching for somethig that does not exist.

Any advice welcome

Chris

Hi Chris,

I normally advise the first mods to be a JWT Popcharger, Exhaust and Motordyne Plenum spacer. This does give good gains and will get you started on the modding path :)

As Scott and Martin say, ECU tuning is beginning to happen so we await results of the first guinea pigs!

Gaz

Thanks for the replies guys, I have spoken to RS Tuning and the price seems ok at £500 for a bespoke map.

It just means I need to get any other bolt on bits done first before I make the treck trom the south east to Leeds

In case any one else is lookig it appears two trips may be needed for UK cars as they have to download data from the car and send it to the US originator for somthing??? then you go back and get the remap. This is not needed for imports for some reason.

Chris

Thanks for the replies guys, I have spoken to RS Tuning and the price seems ok at £500 for a bespoke map.

It just means I need to get any other bolt on bits done first before I make the treck trom the south east to Leeds

In case any one else is lookig it appears two trips may be needed for UK cars as they have to download data from the car and send it to the US originator for somthing??? then you go back and get the remap. This is not needed for imports for some reason.

Chris

I thought the standard ecu wouldn't allow any performance gains from breathing mods?

As stock, the ECU will allow some gains until the fuel trim gets out of the preset limit (ie you will get more power until it runs as lean as it wants to). Then on it dials out gains. You can now (well new to the UK) have the OEM ECU reflashed and tuned to make best use of the mods. This will net you maybe 20BHP, but gives a much nicer torque curve :thumbs:

Well given that the alternative is around £1500 for the Haltech, plus tuning on top oh and fitting ofc, its actually pretty reasonable!

There are also piggybacks, but i dont know how much these are, and again most of the cost is not in the part but in the tuning.

Well given that the alternative is around £1500 for the Haltech, plus tuning on top oh and fitting ofc, its actually pretty reasonable!

There are also piggybacks, but i dont know how much these are, and again most of the cost is not in the part but in the tuning.

So what is used to tune the cars, what i meant was 500 to map it was a little pricey, if that includes some sort of ecu/chip then thats not so bad

How much :blink::blink::blink:

500 big one's to get what exactly, i saw 20bhp, what sort of torque gain? Seems pricey for what is essentially a map tweak

Agreed, compared to say a turbo application, its not a lot for quite a lot of money. But I've been informed as daily driving goes, it make a pretty sizeable difference, especially then if you get a lightweight flywheel. Reflashing is pretty new to the UK so we are still awaiting results, but if you fancy doing some homework, check out www.my350z.com , they've seen it all before ;)

Imho turbo cars would require a little more time and care setting up. Anyway if thats the only way then i guess they can charge what they want :rant: I used to pay 270 for a full AEM map on turbo applications

The £500 doesn't include a new ECU/chip, they simply unlock the current one so that it can be remapped.

Having said that, a mate of mine build ECUs and he was saying that he didnt think the memory in the stock ECU will be good enough to get a fully custom map as they are limited to the number of rewrites and the cheap memory used in oem ECUs can only take 100 rewrites and he was saying that it will take thousands of rewrites to get a half decent map.

Maybe nissan spent some cash on the ECU? If not, it looks like this will only provide a generic map, not specific to the individual car.

The £500 doesn't include a new ECU/chip, they simply unlock the current one so that it can be remapped.

Having said that, a mate of mine build ECUs and he was saying that he didnt think the memory in the stock ECU will be good enough to get a fully custom map as they are limited to the number of rewrites and the cheap memory used in oem ECUs can only take 100 rewrites and he was saying that it will take thousands of rewrites to get a half decent map.

Maybe nissan spent some cash on the ECU? If not, it looks like this will only provide a generic map, not specific to the individual car.

I have heard simlar things, and I read somewhere when researching that during the flash, they only write part of the flash back to that memory. There is other memory that you can write to a lot more times that they put the actual map in. This gets around the limited writes problem. The system definately works and many people in the States have had it done. So while your mate has a valid point, they have got around it and its not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Piggybacks are going for the mid £700's so £500 is reasonable. People in the States (my350z) have actually highly recommended the flash (Uprev Osiris) that RS tuning offer. Only thing that puts me off is I lose my warranty whether I go the piggyback or re-flash route :( (and yes a dealer can tell). I'd be interested to see the performance gains and reliability reviews before I consider any ecu tune done in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...

isaw some of your comment but do any of you know whats the best starting point to bump up my BHP and for it to be noticable exhaust is one and ibduction kit i belive will only make a small differance is it worth putting a lighter fly wheel on it or doing anything to the injectors or pumps cheers would be most greatfull for any info or any other info to get gains .... :drive1

isaw some of your comment but do any of you know whats the best starting point to bump up my BHP and for it to be noticable exhaust is one and ibduction kit i belive will only make a small differance is it worth putting a lighter fly wheel on it or doing anything to the injectors or pumps cheers would be most greatfull for any info or any other info to get gains .... :drive1

The flywheel makes a big difference to driveability.

The plenum spacer gives more mid range grunt.

I guess you want better drivability and more real power rather than big numbers on a dyno? If you want big numbers then FI is the only route!

If you want drivability then breathing and possibly a reflash (when they become available)