Test pipes

matth76

Hi

I was thinking about getting a complete new system but after hearing the stock exhaust with just some test pipes I have found the sound I am after. I know the cats would have to be put back in come MOT time but I have a couple of questions regarding the O2 sensors. What is involved in fitting test pipes regarding the O2 sensors (I have heard you need "anti-foulers" to avoid getting "CEL" problems) and how easy are they to install and re-install the stock cats for MOT. I'm not convinced test pipes are the way to go but just looking into them at the moment as I really like the stock exhaust but it just needs to be just slightly louder. Although I have been reading about lots of issues with test pipes and raspy rattling so not sure if they are too much hassle etc.

ZMANALEX can sell you anti foulers.

As for changing Cats over every MOT, well that's down to you if you want the hassle.

High flow cats (choose carfully to get the sound you want) and it's legal come MOT time.

Has anyone simply removed the resonator on the mid pipe? I was thinking Hayward and Scott might be able to fabricate a stainless replacement mid pipe without the resonator, running from the Y pipe to the backbox. Any thoughts on this? Should give the car that extra sound I'm after without spending £££

There is someone on here who has removed the resonator in the mid pipe, I cant remember who it was though. There would be no need to fabricate a replacement mid pipe, they should be able to just cut the resonator out and weld in a straight pipe.

I had the midpipe resonator removed on my blitz exhaust

DSC_0657Medium.jpg

Sounded amazing but had got rid of my test pipes by that point :(

Yeah I may leave the stock cats in as the hassle over MOT time and potential issues with O2 sensors plus raspy noises are a put off. Will it make it much louder if I remove the mid pipe resonator? Or will it just make it more amplified (ideally I want it to make it a bit more amplified without it sounding like an old banger)?

Has anyone simply removed the resonator on the mid pipe? I was thinking Hayward and Scott might be able to fabricate a stainless replacement mid pipe without the resonator, running from the Y pipe to the backbox. Any thoughts on this? Should give the car that extra sound I'm after without spending £££

This has been done on here previously and I believe was very quickly taken off again.

I have a pair of test pipes that I have just removed from my car as I required 3" test pipes for my application.

They are in great shape and are all predrilled for removable bungs or sensors to be installed as required.

They also have the o2 simulators (anti foulers) (spacers) fitted.

These are ready to be fitted with no modification required.

It is no big deal swopping out the test pipes for the cats come MOT time.

As regards sound, well that is a very individual preference.

These sound exactly what you are looking for and if you are interested let me know and I will post up some pictures for you if you want. :thumbs:

Alex.

Thanks Alex. What make of test pipes are they and are they resonated or non-resonated (do you know where I can find sound clips of your make of test pipes)? How easy is it to remove the wires that go to the stock cats and then remove the stock cats and then install the decat/test pipes - approx how long install time does it take?

Is there any difference in power/feel on the road or loss of torque lower down? How different is the sound after fitting them?

What's the lowest you'll accept for them (can pm me)? Did you get any issues with knocking or strange raspy noises? The main thing I'm concerned about are the vibration raspy noises many people seem to experience at certain revs (quite a few clips on youtube of this) such as:

and
and

What causes this and is it something you have to put up with or is it the metal that is used in the decat pipe?

Thanks again.

it was me that removed the centre silencer, only cost 60 pounds from the local powerflow centre, it sounds alot more amplified but a little too raspy up top but only until the exhaust has warmed up properly, and it pops alot, I have a video somewhere, ill try find It for you

Thanks Alex. What make of test pipes are they and are they resonated or non-resonated (do you know where I can find sound clips of your make of test pipes)? How easy is it to remove the wires that go to the stock cats and then remove the stock cats and then install the decat/test pipes - approx how long install time does it take?

Is there any difference in power/feel on the road or loss of torque lower down? How different is the sound after fitting them?

What's the lowest you'll accept for them (can pm me)? Did you get any issues with knocking or strange raspy noises? The main thing I'm concerned about are the vibration raspy noises many people seem to experience at certain revs (quite a few clips on youtube of this) such as:

and
and

What causes this and is it something you have to put up with or is it the metal that is used in the decat pipe?

Thanks again.

Wow!!!! Any more questions ?

Might be best that we talk as I know where this is leading and tennis ball emails is not for me :lol:

pm me your phone number and I will give you a ring.

Alex.