275/40/18 on standards Rays..?

Rosssco

Hi,

A thought running through my head today :wacko: was if it was realistic to put the rear 245/45/18 tyres on the front wheels, and buy some 275/40/18 (to maintain correct rolling radius) on the rear.

However, I'm not sure the standard wheel widths are sufficient (especially the rear wheels) to safely mount 275/40 tyres... Anybody had any experience of this?

I also have some 20mm spacers to fit, so then there's the possibility arch rubbing perhaps...

Thanks,

Ross

In theory, more grip, although I accept that this is probably negligible on dry roads and standard suspension, so I guess also looks... :blackeye: (Vain I know)

I don't think 265/40 (or 45), to maintain the standard stagger, are as readily available as 275's...

Well I like the look of the standard wheels (plus I can't afford any comparably light 19" wheels) so the obvious (and bluntest) way of increasing grip without modifying the suspension set-up, would be to fit wider section tyres. As I said, I'm not sure how much of a difference this would make in the dry, where good standard tyres will maintain grip up to a pretty high level unless deliberatly provoked.

Of course wider tyres are heavier too, but I doubt this would be really noticable.

Re: traction stability control, I don't see how this would cause any issues, and I presume the system will detect slip (based upon differences between measured hub speeds and revs) regardless of tyres profile or wheel size, just that in theory there should be less of it (forgetting standing water / aquaplanning and snow).

Just wondered if anybody had had direct experience...

:wacko:

What kind of tyres were you planning on fitting? Unless you're already running really grippy stuff like A048s/R888s then upgrading the width is a waste of time, as you could simply put a better tyre on whilst keeping the stock width, which would give you better grip without compromise.

Firstly it would look stupid, the tyres would buldge out the sides far too much. My Rotas are half an inch wider per wheel than Rays and have the same tyre widths you are proposing and they are just right, so putting them on thinner wheels would look very odd indeed. I would also guess that they would roll around more on the sidewalls so would give you less confidence in their grip level.

If you want to improve grip, go for a better tyre. :thumbs:

As I said above, I am fully aware that changing width will probably not increase dry road grip, as its already quite high on the standard widths

Tyres wise, currently running Avon ZZ3, which are pretty grippy, certainly in the dry, but seem to have a relatively soft compound, so I don't expect them to last too long... Then maybe look at Falkens, or, if I'm feeling flush at that stage, Pirelli's or Bridgestones...

Yeah was thinking they might look 'Over-tyred' with that fat, unattractive sidewall look, hence why I asked.

As for driver training, I take your point, but I guess the fun in a new car (only had it 2 weeks) is exploring it for yourself... Maybe at some point! :drive1

Cheers for replys.

Ross

Then maybe look at Falkens, or, if I'm feeling flush at that stage, Pirelli's or Bridgestones..

Try ps2s....just awesome and last long as well. the most expensive of all tho.... :teeth:

And wider tyres are worse in the wet....you can easily aquaplane.... :thumbs:

Then maybe look at Falkens, or, if I'm feeling flush at that stage, Pirelli's or Bridgestones..

Try ps2s....just awesome and last long as well. the most expensive of all tho.... :teeth:

And wider tyres are worse in the wet....you can easily aquaplane.... :thumbs:

+1

And once you have found your limit with the car, go do some driver training and see what the real limit is :teeth: