leaving car on axle stands?

NWZ

Hi guys,

2 of my wheels (on passengers side) are being refurbed next week. The garage said they would take the car and would need it for 2 days. They'll refurb the wheels and return the car to me. I'm just a bit worried about them having the car for 2 days and I'd much rather just give them the 2 wheels.

My question is, if I buy axle stands would that be sufficient to leave the car supported for 2 days, and maybe use a jack as well for extra support?

What would you do?

I'd leave my car safely in my driveway behind the gates on stands with wood between the stands and my car, also with a trolley jack at the back and a standard jack on both sills at either side at the front.

Alternatively if anything happens in the garage they'll have liability for it.

Surely a garage would use a proper ramp and not stands anyway??

Thanks mate, I have no idea if it will be left on ramp but they said it will be left in a lockup unit. I just don't like the idea of them having the car for 2 days just for refurbing the wheels.

Thanks mate, I have no idea if it will be left on ramp but they said it will be left in a lockup unit. I just don't like the idea of them having the car for 2 days just for refurbing the wheels.

I wandered into the local garage the other day to see a zed with 2 wheels off - and them being resprayed in the open air, only feet from other cars. tyres still on, masking didn't look too good.

Mobile restorer was in there, comes every so often and they can't tell which day sometimes.

So, they needed the car for 2 days.....

Won't be going there again..

Tyres will be coming off, stripped and then resprayed.

This guys rents a unit off my neighbour. I have seen his work and it's mint...he repaired a kerbed Bentley continental wheel last week. I've seen my neighbours go-karting helmet resprayed in Gloss black with colour flecks in it, absouletly amazing. Was tempted to get the rays done but think it'll look too bling!

Think I'm just being a bit anal about them having the car for 2 days....I think I'll let them have it.

axle stands are fine, my mate mark has a mk1 mr2 thats been on axle stands outside for a year now :lol: and its been fine.

personally i'd jack it up put it on the stands and then put some wood under the jacking points. that way if for some freak reason the jacks were to fail it would hardly drop.

Absolutely no problems with leaving the car on axle stands for a few days. I had an Imp like that for about 18 months once when I was doing a major refurb.

+1 I left my last car on them for a few weeks while I got the wheels refurbed

Axle stands will do no problem, there's a wheel refurb place down the road from me and all the cars he does are left on axle stands for a few days and that includes the likes of porsche,ferrari, astons etc

You must live in an upmarket 'rarther' posh area then unlike I do.

They all talk the RP posh talk lingo by me but they're as common as I am really, just too snooty to admit it!