Alcantara re-trim

chazza

Hi all

I am going to re-trim by boot space in alcantara and then look at doing some of the dash....was thinking lower half of the dash, lower pockets on the door cards and armrest, centre console.

Not too keen on covering the whole of the dash...yet :teeth:

Has anybody done this? Where is the best place to get the material from? I have found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Alcantara ... 240%3A1318

I've done my a pillars, roof lining, sun visors and centre console but i just got it done by someone so they supplied everything but i'd say if you're confident enough then go ahead and do it yourself. I still want to get some other bits done but what's done already has totally transformed the very cheap looking interior.

sounds good, i will do the boot space myself and see how that goes but im pretty confident :D

I may even have the centres of both seats covered proffesionally in alcantara, as i dont really like the perforated leather and ive scratched both mine with belts etc...

The stuff on Ebay looks cheap...i was told the genuine stuff retails at over £60 per metre!

I got some cheaper stuff off eBay which was advertised as S-alcantara and while it appeared faily decent it has now faded in the sun. I think 3FIDDYZ was quoted about a grand to have most of the interior re-trimmed. I'm thinking of doing this or getting it flocked, which gives a similar appearance but is cheaper :)

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow and put them up. I think for real alacantara it is around 60/70 pound a metre. I also got all the headlining plastics sprayed black and for all that it was £900 but i've still to get the knee pads and backing bits done in that price,oh and i got the wee bit behind the door handles done also.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow and put them up. I think for real alacantara it is around 60/70 pound a metre. I also got all the headlining plastics sprayed black and for all that it was £900 but i've still to get the knee pads and backing bits done in that price,oh and i got the wee bit behind the door handles done also.

Please do get some pics up as this was next on my to do list but i havent made up my mind on how I want it done yet. :blush:

If it is real then it is very cheap!

+1 - the only stuff I saw going that cheap before was the end of roll stuff where they cant guarentee that any 2 pieces you get are off the same roll or batch. That way you might get slight differences in the colour. Might be worth sending the seller a message to make sure this isnt the case. ;)

Think i'll pass on the shag pile for now :lol:

Spoke to the guy last night, he re covers motorbike seats and buys rolls of material all the time, this was offered to him.

Its new/old stock. Brand new genuine stuff in the bags, but made about 10 years ago.

He can cut me 10 metres, by roll width (1.33m) and inc postage its less than £200...sounds good...but do you think 10 metres will be enough? Should go a fair way

This is something I have been looking at recently. Something I always thought would make the interior look just soo much nicer.

I was looking to start by doing the boot and then make my way forward through the car. There are a few panels which i can see being a bit tricky like the panel that spans across the glove box / sub cover as there are indentations and the panel above which has the pockets on it.

To do it all properly i would be supprised if you could do it without needing to sew some bits. Even the boot I think has some i.e. would be supprised if a single piece cold be stretched across the panel that sits under the sides of the strut bar.

As for the material I have heard avoid the fake alicantara etc stuff as it fades - more important in the front rather than boot. The genuine stuff is normally around £60/£70/m I rememeber from when i had my dash etc trimmed in my old car. One of the benifits of the geniune stuff is its meant to stretch much more than the fake stuff.

Also make sure you get some really good contract glue

Thanks for the advice Rob, was thinking the same re. that panel with the glove box! I will start in the boot and go from there...it doesnt need to be done in a rush so will just take my time and do one panel at a time.

Iv seen it advertised for £60 plus p/m but thats for new stock, as i said this stuff on ebay is new old stock, think i'll give it a go for under £200 for genuine material

Will post pics once its done ;)

Very nice mate B)

I want my centre cosole doing like that, but with the Aston like fat stitching down the side where the corner of it is. Also looking into flocking which gives a similar effect but can be done cheaper and easier on the more difficult bits.

I would avoid the fake stuff, mine looked mint but now starting to fade on the bits in the sun :blush:

Yup that looks good - the centre console has been sewn i.e. done by a pro/semi-pro.

Bits like that are not too hard to do - would be intersted to see what it looked like if you opened up the cubby hole. Thats the make and break of a good trim how it looks when its not just a case of stretch round the edges and put back on.

That Alacanata looks good. Would go for it myself but would want black due to having a black car and think it will look a bit strange if you have other panels not trimmed. Wonder how many panels the interior consis of.

Luggage Lower Finisher

Luggage Side Finisher lower (RH & LH)

Luggage Side Finisher upper (RH & LH)

Strut Cover rear

Strut Cover upper (LH & RH)

Strut Cover lower (RH & LH)

Strut Cover front

i.e. 11 panels for the boot

Back door finisher lower

Back door finisher side (LH + RH)

Back door finisher upper

i.e. 4 panels for the boot lid

The middle part is a further 6 major parts

The centre console (lower bit) is what i want done next as it's the hard scratchy plastic as well. The best way to trim around any joints etc is to take them down a few mm with a dremmel. The more you can do yourself obviously saves you a fortune so even removing the trim yourself and dropping it into a trimmers would save you a good few £s.

Hmmm really not sure on that...

Colours look them cheap halfords seat covers, causes you to lose all the lines and curves of the centre console .....IMHO

But then again ..... what do I know!

Dan