Clutch

xStric9x

My new clutch arrives on friday and i've been quoted £180 by Demon Tweeks to have it fitted.

Problem is i don't think they have ever changed one on a 350 so i'm a bit worried, does anybody know of someone in the north west worth checking out to do the job that has possibly done it before?

Thanks

Mike

How many hours does that equate to? I think Adam said he can do it in ~3hrs? I'm sure the Nissan monkeys local to me told me it was an 8hr job :scare: So somewhere in between should be about right! :lol: £180 sounds reasonable as long as they know what they are doing.

Alex/Adam will put you straight :thumbs:

Oh... thought it could be north london.. Can't help you i'm afraid.. but try and get a good person to do it, otherwise it'll be double.. like it was with mine! :(

i've read this on a few forums, badly fitted and only lasting a month or so :scare:

How many hours does that equate to? I think Adam said he can do it in ~3hrs? I'm sure the Nissan monkeys local to me told me it was an 8hr job :scare: So somewhere in between should be about right! :lol: £180 sounds reasonable as long as they know what they are doing.

Alex/Adam will put you straight :thumbs:

4 hours is an average time for a clutch and fly swop out, 3 hours on a good day.

The workshop manual lists a lot of unnecessary stuff to be removed to get the gearbox out.

Alex.

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon here, do both need done at the same time? i.e. clutch and flywheel or is it ok to do one with the other? Reason I ask is i've had an after market flywheel gathering dust for a while and wouldn't mind fitting or selling it on........

4 hours is an average time for a clutch and fly swop out, 3 hours on a good day.

The workshop manual lists a lot of unnecessary stuff to be removed to get the gearbox out.

Alex.

Doesnt supprise me in the slightest :dry: Nissan like to add things to the task list, it keeps them in the job :thumbdown:

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon here, do both need done at the same time? i.e. clutch and flywheel or is it ok to do one with the other? Reason I ask is i've had an after market flywheel gathering dust for a while and wouldn't mind fitting or selling it on........

Dont have to be done at the same time, but for the labour costs, its usually best to get them both done. Saying that, its usually people who need the clutch doing that get the flywheel, not heard of anyone who has the flywheel and thinking of doing the clutch! How old is your clutch? Might be worth replacing it, or hold off on the flywheel until you need the clutch?

Alex.

Doesnt supprise me in the slightest :dry: Nissan like to add things to the task list, it keeps them in the job :thumbdown:

Dont have to be done at the same time, but for the labour costs, its usually best to get them both done. Saying that, its usually people who need the clutch doing that get the flywheel, not heard of anyone who has the flywheel and thinking of doing the clutch! How old is your clutch? Might be worth replacing it, or hold off on the flywheel until you need the clutch?

Got a good deal on the flywheel on eBay so figured I'd snap it up. Dont actually know how old the clutch is, but I agree, I'd rather save on the labour and have them both done at once. Cheers

What about L&G in Audenshaw Mike? Their number is 0161 3015000, I had my P3 last month and I think their labour rate was £60 a hour. It's a very quiet garage but top blokes and no bull from them (and Nissan mechanics). They service scoobies as well there. There's a retail park nearby which will kill some time for you, oh and a McDonalds! Just found my other post £180 for a P3 in the end, I was there 3 hours so about £60 an hour labour I make it, here's the link - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20486

I'm in two minds about DT, I've been there and had my alignment done. They fitted my discs, pads & brake lines in 2007 all fine no problems. But would I trust them to fit a clutch? Honestly, I don't think they would be my first choice. They quoted me £80 to fit my spacers last month which I did myself. So I would be wary of their £180 !!!

What about car planet in Warrington? They are a big importer of japanese cars (it's where Phil got his GTR from), when I was up there last year they were servicing evo's and I think they know their stuff.

If it was me I reckon L&G would be good as long as the price is OK.

You could always PM DJTIMO he's in Ellesmere Port, I'm sure he would recommend somebody local as well as he's had loads done on his zed.

Will be interested to hear how you get on bud, I reckon mine is due soon....

Good luck!

Quoted £260 all in at L&G in Manchester, after the conversation we had they sound like they will look after the car :thumbs:

Booked in for friday morning :teeth:

TDI failed to give me a quote on 3 occasions so i'm giving that one a miss :thumbdown:

Just recieved an e-mail from TDI, £342.53 incl vat for fitting. I think thats a tadge steep.

It cost me over £500 to fit flywheel and clutch at TDI. They said the steel clutch hose took 2 hours to fit and bleed. They're good mechanics, and very helpful, but not familiar with the Zed. They quoted 3 - 5 hours to remove front bumper and put a clip around a leaky power steering hose. I did it in less than 2 hours, and I'm an idiot. Shouldn't have to pay for other people to learn how to work on the car.

Shouldn't have to pay for other people to learn how to work on the car.

Couldn't agree with you more!

I also agree that TDI are expensive Mike.

When you go to L&G ask them for directions "the canal way" to the retail park - it is such a lovely walk.

Shouldn't have to pay for other people to learn how to work on the car.

Couldn't agree with you more!

I also agree that TDI are expensive Mike.

When you go to L&G ask them for directions "the canal way" to the retail park - it is such a lovely walk.

Will do bud :thumbs:

daft question, but what are the signs of needing a new clutch or is it something that's picked up at MOT/service time.

Generally, if you are in gear and accelerate, watch the revs vs how much you move. If the revs rise more than you accellerate (in say 5th/6th) then its on its way out. Another thing you will notice is that the bite point gets high up the pedal travel (ie you dont need to push the pedal far to disengage the clutch). Another test, which I dont suggest you do, is to have it on the handbrake, stick it in first and let off the clutch. If it doesnt stall straight away, the clutch is on its last legs :surrender: