Removal of single din facia?

bazza1702

Hi Guys, hopefully some of you can help me with a small problem I have......

In my wifes recently acquired zed (2003 Fairlady) is an Alpine Sat nav/dvd player, she has had the car for about 4 weeks now and everything has been fine, until earlier on today that is....

She was on her way to work and turned one of the heater control dials, and all sound has now gone from the stereo, sat nav,radio etc.

I have checked all the simple things like its not muted etc, and have came to the conclusion that a wire must have popped out the back of the headunit. Now lies my problem....

I have changed plenty of head units in my time, but for some reason cannot seem to get this one out. :blush:

Can someone please give me advice on how to get the stereo out, before frustration really kicks in..?

Thanks in advance guys....

Hi Guys, hopefully some of you can help me with a small problem I have......

In my wifes recently acquired zed (2003 Fairlady) is an Alpine Sat nav/dvd player, she has had the car for about 4 weeks now and everything has been fine, until earlier on today that is....

She was on her way to work and turned one of the heater control dials, and all sound has now gone from the stereo, sat nav,radio etc.

I have checked all the simple things like its not muted etc, and have came to the conclusion that a wire must have popped out the back of the headunit. Now lies my problem....

I have changed plenty of head units in my time, but for some reason cannot seem to get this one out. :blush:

Can someone please give me advice on how to get the stereo out, before frustration really kicks in..?

Thanks in advance guys....

your going to need to remove the facia panels ie pull out the gear stick surround remove the screws holding the centre consol radio facia panel ,lift the top panel with the oil temp gauge etc up then remove the screws holding the radio housing in place and hay presto you should be able to pull the radio housing forward.remove the 4 screws from the side of the radio holding it in place.

hope this helps

Thanks a lot Buster and Jim, I will give this a bash tonight.

Would I then be right in saying that even an aftermarket headunit is screwed in behind the dash panels in the same way the standard unit is...?

That would explain why I couldnt get the thing to move.....

Oh, and cheers to the "Expert" from my local Halfrauds who told me that the facia will just pull straight out, useless git.....

The facia wont pull straight out, its screwed in to the OEM screw holes. However, the HU itself should be removable with the usual HU keys for Alpine I would expect. However, its fairly easy just to remove the centre console (pull back on the surround around the gear lever), remove a few screws and it will just lift away. Watch out for the connector for the 3 pods, you need to pop it off before you can remove it fully :)

Are you trying to take out the Alpine head unit or the whole surround. To get the alpine head unit out you should be able to get the plastic trim round the edge off (bit fiddly but it will just pop off) and then there are two tabs which need to be moved up to release the Alpine head unit from the cage.

If you want to remove the whole center console check out the guides as others have mentioned

Thanks guys, Ive had a look at the guide and it doesnt seem to bad a job, so I will just give that a go.

I cant seem to get the plastic trim around the fascia out, it seems clipped (Bolted?) in somewhere and is just too tight.

Therefore I cant get to the tabs for the headunit.

Like I say, im hoping a connector has just fallen out the back of the unit, and thats the problem.

Would there be any other causes of the sound disappering..? The headunit itself is still working fine.

Ah yes the surround can be tricky. There will probable be 2 tabs on the top and 2 on the bottom, spaced around 1/3 and 2/3 along. Generally if you just pull and wiggle it about a load it will eventually unclip. Mine also does the same - you think it won't come out but then but more force and wiggling and it just pops off

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, I have just finished putting the dash back together but it aint solved my problem unfortunately, Im starting to pull out what hair I have left.....

Can anyone please give me any other possible reasons why my speakers have stopped working completely..?

I have checked connections at the back of the unit, and checked related fuses, but everything seems to be fine.

Can there be any reason why these aint working..?

Please help.....