That was close!

Toon Chris

Went for a tootle up the coast last night but was on reserve fuel only.

Unbelievably I could not find a garage anywhere that has 97 unleaded so had to gently drive back to my local Shell at the end of the evening.

I managed to get 79.54 litres in the tank :scare:

Sh*t! only 100m from conking out on the A1 (in theory) but there were no coughs or splutters, even going around corners.

My mate, with an old audi 80 was that close to running out of few he had to dilute what was left with redex to the nearest petrol station. I have never seen a car smoke so much!!!

But then again it ran like a dream with a full tank and some very clean pipes!

You would have been fine with a drop of the weak stuff to get you back if you had no alternative ;)

Only if really desperate :surrender:

I can't say i can detect any better performance with 97 over 95, but the mpg is slightly higher and enough to offset the extra cost, so why not use it :thumbs:

I used to only Shell Optimax in but now I use standard 95 and I see absolutly no difference in performance or fuel consumption

Not a good idea running on the standard 95 long term as you are very likely going to be having pinking going on undetected which causes premature engine damage. Most Tesco superunleaded pumps (offering both 99 ron and 97) are actually cheaper than regular 95 pumps at main stream garages.

So how much do you get to a tank now?

I average just under 30mpg so that's 500 miles per tank, although I rarely run it as low as I did that time.

On the 95 it was about 2mpg less. If you calculate that the 97 fuel costs about 4p more per litre it makes the price per mile nearly a penny less. Um, ish. Not scientificly accurate but near enough that i don't bother with the cheap stuff :0

So how much do you get to a tank now?

I average just under 30mpg so that's 500 miles per tank, although I rarely run it as low as I did that time.

On the 95 it was about 2mpg less. If you calculate that the 97 fuel costs about 4p more per litre it makes the price per mile nearly a penny less. Um, ish. Not scientificly accurate but near enough that i don't bother with the cheap stuff :0

How the hell do you average just under 30mpg??? I struggle to get more than 22...!! :scare: