Are gains from an exhaust cancelled out by ecu

matth76

Hi

Has anyone got one of the new Invidia Q300 true dual cat back exhaust (http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=350z&cat=exhaust&prodid=3531) or G200? Are Invidia exhausts very easy to install and fit - ie no problem with hangers or clamps etc (are Invidia a very good quality make - ie up there with the likes of HKS, Greddy etc)? A lot of the true dual exhausts with x-pipe advertise impressive gains from just a bolt on. The Q300 which I like the look of says this exhaust will get 20+ wheel hp. What does the "X-Pipe" actually do - it is better having one than not?

I thought any initial exhaust gains get cancelled out by the stock ecu and you see no power increase - can anyone confirm what the case actually is, any dyno's before and after? Also will I see a loss in power low down the rev range in sacrifice for higher end power with fitting a true dual exhaust and X-pipe or is it an increase in power right through the band (my car is totally stock)?

Thanks for any info and help.

You do realise the swarm of people that will be wanting the service if remaps on the ECU work....Many people hear are happy to settle with just the noise of the intake/exhaust/high flow cats etc.....but more BHP? SIGN ME UP :D

Couldn't give a monkeys about BHP. It's just a number. Sign me up for a nice fat curve! Oh yes!

You do realise the swarm of people that will be wanting the service if remaps on the ECU work....Many people hear are happy to settle with just the noise of the intake/exhaust/high flow cats etc.....but more BHP? SIGN ME UP :D

Couldn't give a monkeys about BHP. It's just a number. Sign me up for a nice fat curve! Oh yes!

+1 - thats what its all about ;)

+1 - thats what its all about ;)

TORQUE!!!!!!! :teeth:

the ecu does not cancel out such mods - however, every car can, and often will react differently to similar mods. Some setups provide more gains than others, and some cars will show more gains than others when outfitted with the same mods.

Is there a point of diminishing returns? Absolutely- and this is where a proper ecu retune can really shine

The same software is used on all the ecu's from Japan to the US and worldwide. There may be minor differences in timing and fuel maps based on different fuels, and I also believe the immobilizer features differ slightly from country to country

Martin, you're not visiting a certain somewhere in the south east to have something fitted to your ecu are you? I thought it was someone else on here being the guinea pig. If you are having done what I think you are (I may be totally wrong) I'd be very interested to know how it goes too. What are your current mods (exhaust and CAI)?