Issues with car pulling left

Ekona

Guys, I'm really stuck here and I'm hoping someone will have some ideas as this is now getting daft... Please bear with me, will probably be a long post!

To put it simply, if you release the steering wheel when driving in a straight line the car starts drifting left, and also to get the car to go straight you have to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right. Everything points to a lack of alignment somewhere along the line, but having spent 7 hours at DMS yesterday we're 99.9% sure it's definitely not. Here's the basic story:

I've had at least 8 alignments now and no matter what we do, the car always drifts left. I've had a normal OEM setup, a fast road setup, an aggressive setup, an even a setup that should have the car pulling so far to the right it's untrue, and still no success. Nothing makes any difference! I've got some Cusco adjustable a-arms on the front and Eibach arms at the rear to give total control over the camber of the car, so it's not like it's the stock setup leaving no room for adjustment. Last time I knocked my perfect alignment (and it was perfect, so it's not just the car) out it happened as I ground the car ever so briefly but fairly heavily on a country road, but there's no damage underneath (few scrapes on the bracing, but nothing too bad over and above what you'd normally get).

We've checked:

Front top and bottom control arms

Rear control arms

ARBS

Shocks

Springs

Warping of the chassis/subframes

Toe adjusters

In short, everything it could be. The only we haven't taken apart is the steering rack: Given that mine's a speed-sensitive setup on the MY06, is it possible that something there is damaged? Maybe in the gearing when the rack connects at the bottom? I dunno, I'm grasping at straws here.

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated, even if it's stating the obvious that we might have missed.

Have you tried swopping the wheels over on the front ? have you checked the tyre wear, is it uneven on any ? have you measured on level ground, the distance from the arch to the ground is even to its opposite side on all four arches, as a problem at the rear can cause it to drift

also measure the wheel to the arch at its lowest point at the front (i.e. below the zed badge on the front wing)

have you checked the top mounts on the struts ?

sorry if it seems obvious advice but its a good starting point :thumbs:

any knocking when you hit bumps in the road ?

Hey Dan,

In addition to GIXXER's comments (and I am sure you've covered this) but are the tyre pressures spot on for all wheels?

Probably a stupid point :blush: but it is worth starting with the cheap / easy stuff!

I would be happy to catch up one weekend and let you try my wheels if that helps??

Matt

Have you tried swopping the wheels over on the front ? have you checked the tyre wear, is it uneven on any ? have you measured on level ground, the distance from the arch to the ground is even to its opposite side on all four arches, as a problem at the rear can cause it to drift

also measure the wheel to the arch at its lowest point at the front (i.e. below the zed badge on the front wing)

have you checked the top mounts on the struts ?

sorry if it seems obvious advice but its a good starting point :thumbs:

any knocking when you hit bumps in the road ?

Haven't tried swapping the wheels over, as trouble is I'd need to swap the tyres too as they're uni-directional, but that's a good idea. We measured all points underneath the car on both subframes and the chassis on both sides of the car and they're all within 2mm of each other. Top mounts are fine, and no knocking when going over bumps. Tyre pressures are also spot on (nitrogen filled too).

Matt, thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on that! :D

Will do bud. Car's booked in at Nissan in Bishop's Stortford on the 7th of next month (!) so we'll see what they say then as well if I haven't had any luck sorting this. Hopefully they'll be replacing my bubbling alloys as well while it's there :D

Tyre pressure and wear are the obvious starting points. You may find that a tyre has gone "out of shape". This is rare but I have seen it happen a few times. Have you checked the front to rear step off. I.e are the front and rear ends of the car lined up? This is an often overlooked measurement when a car is aligned as in my experience many Alignment centers don't understand that piece of data and ignore it. This leads to all sorts of handling maladies. If you've replaced all the parts you mention I'd start looking at other areas of the alignment and tyre set up. If I can be any more help please Pm me. This is what I do for a living. :thumbs: ( Automotive Development Engineer )

Interesting, haven't heard that term used before and is worth looking at I think. I've been a bit busy this week so haven't had a chance to progress any further with my diagnostics, so I really need to start looking at it this week if I can :blush:

Thanks for the input, much appreciated :thumbs:

Mine has exactly the same problem, although I`ve only gone as far as looking at the alignment,

I fitted new tyres but that made no difference.

I find it depends on the road and is affected by the camber more than anything, although I have a *slight* pull to the lefty under *very* heavy breaking (I have to fight it to the right a little). I did wonder if I had a very slightly sticky brake on the left but having changed pads and discs thsi wasn't the case.

I just live with it!