Drying Towel

From A to Zed

Hi all,

Just a quick one... Which towels do you guys use to dry your car?

I bought one of these from Halfords but it never covers the whole car.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Stor ... ductId=305

Once I've dried the bonnet, roof and rear window it's water logged and it's never as good after a good wringing... I usually end up grabbing a microfiber to finish the job.

Any recommendations?

Matt

I use an autoglym wiper thing to start and then move on to a megs towel, no worries for the whole car... and when its an inbetween wash thats finnished with quick detailer, the QD likes a bit of moisture on the car, gives a better shine IMO.

Or if I am feeling affluant then I run the leafblower over it for a few mins to run the excess water off and get the water out of the panels...

Hi all,

Just a quick one... Which towels do you guys use to dry your car?

I bought one of these from Halfords but it never covers the whole car.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Stor ... ductId=305

Once I've dried the bonnet, roof and rear window it's water logged and it's never as good after a good wringing... I usually end up grabbing a microfiber to finish the job.

Any recommendations?

Buy another one - that's what I did! :D:thumbs:

Matt

I use an autoglym wiper thing to start

Please tell me its not one of these

Hydra_Flexi_Blade.jpg

:headhurt:

I got a towel of Matt@i4detailing and its awesome. You basically lay it on the area to dry, pat it down, lift off and repeat on the next section. This way any dirt that is left is not dragged over the paint. You look like a nonce, but its works very very well. We get a discount with him too :thumbs:

http://i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/I4D_U ... wel_1.html

UBERDRYING.jpg

Chris, is that how it should be done?

Works for me bud and doesnt drag anything over the car so minimises swirls. I used to have loads of swirls, so got a random polisher to remove them. Since doing that, using the 2BM and pat drying, the swirls have stayed away :thumbs:

Works for me bud and doesnt drag anything over the car so minimises swirls. I used to have loads of swirls, so got a random polisher to remove them. Since doing that, using the 2BM and pat drying, the swirls have stayed away :thumbs:

Awesome, i am going to start doing that, thanks mate :thumbs:

Yes it is chris? Why? Car has been washed twice, no dirt left on it so no worries! It gets clayed about once every other month so the chances of any real engrained dirt on the roof, bonnet and trunk are pretty slim.... No marks as yet!

Hope you use a brand new drying towel that comes out of a hermetically sealed bag that has been checked by tiny trained dust mites that have removed every partical of dust from the towel before its sent to you!! ;) And then never use it again cause patting down dirt into a towel isnt going to hold the dirt there again is it

You drive yours every day dont you? Thought a few small particals of dirt on your car under a wiper blade would be the least of your worries ;)

Awesome, i am going to start doing that, thanks mate :thumbs:

As taken from the Yoda of detailing known as Dave KG from Good Washing Guide:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... php?t=4637

Drying

Another risk stage as far as scrathes are concerned. First off, I find that using a waffleweave drying towel is far safer and more effective than using a chamois leather. A couple of examples of good quality waffleweave drying towels are:

Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel

Poorboys Waffleweave

Also Pakshak towels are very very good too! Rather than sweeping the towel across the paintwork to remove the water, I prefer to pat dry the car. The sweeping of the towel has more risk of inflicting scratches as stray grit particles may be picked up and inadvertantly swept across the paint inflicting swirl marks. Instead, pat dry the car by laying the towel down over the wet paintwork. Gently pat the towel, then lift off the paintwork. The towel will absorb the water to dry the paint. A thin flim of water may be left behind but this will quickly evaporate to leave a sparkling, streak free finish.

Bloomin hell!! Didnt realise there was that many water blade haters on here!!!! Is there an alarm that goes off when wipers are mentioned :p

Have had no issues on using it myself.

Its one of these 090_980.jpg so not the same as the one posted. Its a Hi-Tech one.

Autoglym Hi-Tech Flexi Water Blade

The Autoglym Hi-Tech Flexi Water Blade incorporates amazingly flexible structure together with a patented wiping design to rapidly remove rinse water from a vehicle’s bodywork after washing. Just a few wipes with the blade cuts drying time in half compared with traditional methods. Safe on all types of paintwork, plastic, rubber and glass. The medical grade silicone rubber blade is guaranteed non-scratch.

And guaranteed... So you got to belive everything that these guys tell you!! After all there not in it to make money buy selling new products are they :p;)

Yes it is chris? Why? Car has been washed twice, no dirt left on it so no worries! It gets clayed about once every other month so the chances of any real engrained dirt on the roof, bonnet and trunk are pretty slim.... No marks as yet!

Hope you use a brand new drying towel that comes out of a hermetically sealed bag that has been checked by tiny trained dust mites that have removed every partical of dust from the towel before its sent to you!! ;) And then never use it again cause patting down dirt into a towel isnt going to hold the dirt there again is it

You drive yours every day dont you? Thought a few small particals of dirt on your car under a wiper blade would be the least of your worries ;)

I used to use one, but saw the damage it did to my Leon. Where I live there are trees all around and they drop crap all the time in the wind. You dont see it, but it lands on the wet car and then does mark the paint. If you live in an area free from that kind of thing fair enough, its personal choice. The pat method doesnt need you to have a spotlessly clean towel as you arent dragging over the surface so it wont do damage ;)

And thats crap that the wiper doesnt mark the car. Course the wiper doesnt mark it, its the dirt under it that marks it :surrender:

Bloomin hell!! Didnt realise there was that many water blade haters on here!!!! Is there an alarm that goes off when wipers are mentioned :p

Its one of these 090_980.jpg so not the same as the one posted. Its a Hi-Tech one.

The Autoglym Hi-Tech Flexi Water Blade incorporates amazingly flexible structure together with a patented wiping design to rapidly remove rinse water from a vehicle’s bodywork after washing. Just a few wipes with the blade cuts drying time in half compared with traditional methods. Safe on all types of paintwork, plastic, rubber and glass. The medical grade silicone rubber blade is guaranteed non-scratch.

And guaranteed... So you got to belive everything that these guys tell you!! After all there not in it to make money buy selling new products are they :p;)

It's just simple science bud. Dragging anything across the car will leave some sort of mark. The point with a rubber blade is that anything trapped under it will be dragged and could mark the paint. The blade itself is guaranteed non scratch, just not the stuff it traps! As for cloths coming out of sealed bags, no-one is saying that, just that the towel ABSORBS the water and any residual dirt as opposed to moving across the surface. It's the same theory as the sponge vs. wash mitt. :)

Thanks everyone, that's quite a debate I started!

I've heard good things about the Meg water magnet and waffle weave, the patting sounds like a good idea too. My neighbours think I'm mad and my girlfriend hates my so another step can't do any harm!

"this can't be another weekend that's all about the car'

'oh yes, it can' :lol:

It's just simple science bud. Dragging anything across the car will leave some sort of mark. The point with a rubber blade is that anything trapped under it will be dragged and could mark the paint. The blade itself is guaranteed non scratch, just not the stuff it traps! As for cloths coming out of sealed bags, no-one is saying that, just that the towel ABSORBS the water and any residual dirt as opposed to moving across the surface. It's the same theory as the sponge vs. wash mitt. :)

I appriciate what your saying mate but even when patting down you will push the dirt into the paint / wax (even if there is hardly any there) and then when it comes to washing your going to drag the dirt along with the mitt... cause the dirt is more firmly fixed to the car its not going to pick up in the mitt like it would if it floated... Or even when using a wax or polish after the dirt would get picked up in the foam applicator...

If there is still water on the car in "pools" the dirt would / could / may be in a state of suspension thus when wiping with the blade it will be carried away with the water.... When thinking about it, 2 swipes with the blade clears the roof, 3 swipes on the bonnet, 1 on each side and the spoiler and job is done so no chance of swirls (but with your argument a chance of a slight scratch....) Doors and other bits dont need doing cause of using the vario lance. The whole car is then dryed with one waffle that dosnt get really wet as most of the water has gone.

Am not saying either way is right or wrong, just saying that any way of washing can cause issues but with the amount of stone chips we all pick up and the other weather conditions / state of roads in this country a few microscopic marks arnt going to worry me! :)

Just out of curiosity how does everyone wash their towels? I got scolded by my mate for washing them in the machine with detergent.....i know the salt in them is bad and all but if they go in for a full cycle there shouldn't be any detergent left on them.

R

I appriciate what your saying mate but even when patting down you will push the dirt into the paint / wax (even if there is hardly any there) and then when it comes to washing your going to drag the dirt along with the mitt... cause the dirt is more firmly fixed to the car its not going to pick up in the mitt like it would if it floated... Or even when using a wax or polish after the dirt would get picked up in the foam applicator...

If there is still water on the car in "pools" the dirt would / could / may be in a state of suspension thus when wiping with the blade it will be carried away with the water.... When thinking about it, 2 swipes with the blade clears the roof, 3 swipes on the bonnet, 1 on each side and the spoiler and job is done so no chance of swirls (but with your argument a chance of a slight scratch....) Doors and other bits dont need doing cause of using the vario lance. The whole car is then dryed with one waffle that dosnt get really wet as most of the water has gone.

Am not saying either way is right or wrong, just saying that any way of washing can cause issues but with the amount of stone chips we all pick up and the other weather conditions / state of roads in this country a few microscopic marks arnt going to worry me! :)

I think the point in washing with a mit and drying with a towel is that they have deeper pile with holds the dirt into the pile rather than on the surface which "minimises" the chances of scratching the paintwork. As you said though its all personal choice on how anal you want to be with your cleaning regime.

R :teeth: