Painting stock 17" JDM wheels

marzman

Hey guys,

With the problems im having with my 19" alloys, i've decided to paint my stock JDM's and see how they turn out... if they look good i think i'll put them on the car instead of my 19's!

I prepped one of the wheels tonight - i spent 90mins with 260grit wet&dry paper, and then 20mins with 800grit... see comparison pics of the prepped wheel with a normal wheel.

Nurrish - how much prep did you do on your wheels before you painted them...?

Also everyone - im just going to buy a large can of standard gloss black spray paint from Halfords - is there any reason this wouldn't be suitable...? Then i'll give it a clear lacquer afterwards... again, any recommendations?

The first pics below are of how i want them to look - these are from a car i found on my350z.com If mine look 3/4 as good as that i'll be happy :yahoo:

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Comparison:

Photo0769.jpg

Prepped:

Photo0770.jpg

Normal:

Photo0771.jpg

Hey mate. Lovin the pics u found. This is exactly wat i did to my 17s altho i didnt attempt the red lip as i thought it would be too much hassle. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. I just took my time on the prep and did plenty of layers of paint. Good luck :)

Hey mate. Lovin the pics u found. This is exactly wat i did to my 17s altho i didnt attempt the red lip as i thought it would be too much hassle. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out. I just took my time on the prep and did plenty of layers of paint. Good luck :)

Hey Jay,

How long did you spend on prep per wheel? Did they look like mine looks now, or did you do more than that?

Also, hows the paint finish holding up now, and did you just use standard spray paint?

I was umming and arring about doing it until i found those pics - i think they look special there!

the can from halfords will do fine as its what i used on mine. You need to primer them first though. I gave mine about 3 coats of primer and then the same with the black then once dry gave it a few layers with the lacquer.

But before you go black check these bad boys out

fefb_12.JPG

:lol::lol: bling bling

Hey Jay,

How long did you spend on prep per wheel? Did they look like mine looks now, or did you do more than that?

Also, hows the paint finish holding up now, and did you just use standard spray paint?

I was umming and arring about doing it until i found those pics - i think they look special there!

Hey bud yeh they looked like that. I roughly spent the same amount of time on the wheels as you are just now, the paint it holding up really well not issues with them at all. Just remember spend plenty of time on the prep and the primering. Spraying them black is the easy part. :thumbs:

Just an update... black paint is on the wheels now... Done 4 coats and will be doing quite a few more - the coverage on the edges of the spokes isn't great, but i'll sort it...!

Hopefully i'll be painting the red lip on tonight if i dont go out, otherwise i'll be doing it on the weeknights, and then clearcoating next weekend...!

Pics to come soon!

Hey - pic-fest is below!

I ended up doing 7 coats of black, left them to dry a couple of days, and started on the red lip last night!

I underestimated how difficult the red lip was going to be - for starters the paint is really thick and shiny, so its very difficullt to paint it on evenly. And getting a straight line by hand is impossible, so im using electrical tape to mark the inner line as its flexible enough to put a curve in it.

I can see this taking me another week at least of an hour a night on these lips.. :bang: Still, at least i've moved in from my garage - have got them on a sheet in my lounge while i paint, while the missus (and me) watches Desperate Houswives boxset DVD's... :lol:

Photo0782-1.jpg

Photo0783-1.jpg

Photo0785-1.jpg

Photo0788-1.jpg

Photo0826.jpg

Photo0835.jpg

Photo0840.jpg

Photo0842.jpg