first track day

T8 JPE

Right then i'm considering doing my first track day in 2weeks at castle coombe.

Firstly what do i need to consider. i have new brakes all round and new tyres. all my fluids are topped up is there anything else i need to consider.

The bite on my clutch is getting quite high and im slighty worried that this trackday will finish the clutch off. Am i worrying uneccesarily?

Lastly Wheres a good place to get track day insurance from?

Thanks in advance

Jim

1. When you say 'new brakes', you you mean discs + pads + fluid, or just pads? If so then it might be worth changing the brake fluid as well if it's over a year old. Also make sure your pads are well bedded in before you go on track. Other than that it's just the obvious stuff, make sure all your fluid levels are ok etc. Oh, and don't forget your helmet and long sleeved top & trousers!

2. I doubt it. Unless you seriously start mis-shifting all over the place then you're not actually putting that much strain on the clutch as you're not doing many standing starts at all, and far less than you would just pottering through town.

3. Personally I've never bothered in the past as there really should be no need for it if the day is well marshalled and you're not driving like a tit, and normally the insurance costs at least as much as the day itself. Also worth remembering that the excess on the policy will usually be at least 10% of the car's value, so you may have a light brush and still not end up being able to claim on the policy. That said, I've now got track cover included as part of my regular policy with Richard Eggar, so it'd be worth trying them as they do separate TD cover too. Also CCI are highly recommended.

1. When you say 'new brakes', you you mean discs + pads + fluid, or just pads? If so then it might be worth changing the brake fluid as well if it's over a year old. Also make sure your pads are well bedded in before you go on track. Other than that it's just the obvious stuff, make sure all your fluid levels are ok etc. Oh, and don't forget your helmet and long sleeved top & trousers!

2. I doubt it. Unless you seriously start mis-shifting all over the place then you're not actually putting that much strain on the clutch as you're not doing many standing starts at all, and far less than you would just pottering through town.

3. Personally I've never bothered in the past as there really should be no need for it if the day is well marshalled and you're not driving like a tit, and normally the insurance costs at least as much as the day itself. Also worth remembering that the excess on the policy will usually be at least 10% of the car's value, so you may have a light brush and still not end up being able to claim on the policy. That said, I've now got track cover included as part of my regular policy with Richard Eggar, so it'd be worth trying them as they do separate TD cover too. Also CCI are highly recommended.

+1 to all that,

also worth checking oil level, and dont stay out too long, make sure you do a cool down lap after youve hooned it otherwise you will cook the brakes,

ive used moris before for insurance but as Ekona said the figures are about right, also be aware that there is never any blame on a trackday, imo it isnt you driving like a tit you have to worry about, its others, if someone else hits you then no blame is put on them, its up to you to sort it.... :) (ive always took insurance before but will consider not doing next time)

oh, and make sure you have fun cc is great ;)

also worth checking oil level, and dont stay out too long, make sure you do a cool down lap after youve hooned it otherwise you will cook the brakes,

Good point, I forgot that! Also DON'T put your handbrake on once you've come back in, just leave it in neutral with the engine running for a few mins to circulate the excess heat, then switch it off and pop the car into 1st. If you put your handbrake on you'll stick the pads to the discs and wreck your brakes.

+1 to everything that's been said already.

I personally have never bothered with track day insurance, and haven't had need for it either (touch wood).

I always take a socket set and torque wrench with me just in case. Worth torquing the wheel nuts at the start of the day and during the day too (speaking as someone who lost a wheel nut at the Brighton Speed Trials because I didn't check them before the first run :blush:).

Also worth taking a tyre pressure gauge and pump, and also remove all the crap from the car before you set off.

Finally if there's cheap instruction available take advantage of it - it's normally only £20 or so and if nothing else you'll be taught the lines and braking points.

Oh, and if you've got a very loud 'zorst be aware that Coombe's noise limit is 100dB.

Thanks for the replys guys. I've got new pads all round and new disks on the front. i'll have done a few more hundred miles on them anyway before the track day.

Bought the noise meter back from work today, I spoke to one of the organisers and they said that the reading will be taken at a 45degree angle up from the exhaust at distance of 0.5m

Bought the noise meter back from work today, I spoke to one of the organisers and they said that the reading will be taken at a 45degree angle up from the exhaust at distance of 0.5m

:thumbs: Yep - static tests are normally at 3/4 max revs too.

I've found some testers measure from one exhaust and some from halfway between the two. Not sure if it makes much difference!

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, think im all set. gotta get to castle combe for 7.30-8.00 then then the briefing is at 9. Apparently there is free tuition from some qualified instructors and then 15min sessions with a maximum of 12 on the track till lunch time. Then after lunch its open pitlane till 5. All for £159 which i think is a bargain.

Got my track insurance sorted which just leaves me to check my oil again and tyre pressures on thursday night as well as giving it a quick clean.

Does the Zed have a baffled sump as my friend who has a type R has replaced his as apparently hard fast corners can cause oil starvation? Probably not going to affect me but was just wondering.

Hint!

Leave your traction control on!!! ;)

That way i cant see how you will need insurance cover....take it easy at first and then build up speed.... the Z can slide on all 4 wheels with no interference from the ESP....once you manage to do a few very quick laps without annoying the ESP then you can think of deactivating it.... :thumbs:

However, i have never been to castle comb and i dont know the corners....but as a general rule there are corners that you HAVE to heal-toe if you dont want to start spinning in the middle of the track with the ESP off.... you can always ask the instructor which these corners are.... ;)

And make sure you use the wet/dry racing lines depending...and if dry aim for the cone on the apex....dont be afraid with the ESP on..... :p

And last but not least.... the track fees are the least of the expenses... have cash with you for petrol.... be prepared to see tyres and brakes cooked.... and if there is a slight jadder from the steering wheel on braking on your way back home dont worry.... you f****d the disks..... :lol:

Its great fun tho....so great you wont be thinking of any of these things whilst there!!! :boxing::#1::drive1

Does the Zed have a baffled sump as my friend who has a type R has replaced his as apparently hard fast corners can cause oil starvation? Probably not going to affect me but was just wondering.

Cars with transverse engines suffer much more in long corners as the oil runs to one end of the sump.

hopefully the tyres wont get wrecked as they've only done 2500miles and the pads and disks have only done 400miles so that would be annoying

They shouldn't. The tyres might look a bit rough afterwards but they should be fine.

Do keep an eye on the side walls of the front tyres as the weight of the car can roll the tyres onto the side walls on grippy days. If it starts to happen put some more air in the fronts - you don't want to wear the side walls.

If you get judder from braking afterwards it's most likely you've managed to get a patch of pad material stuck to the disc... it wears off with time.

Get yourself a stick of chalk and draw a line from the middle of the tyre sidewall straight out to the edge of the tyre: It'll tell you just how much the tyre is rolling over during cornering, and you can then adjust tyre pressures as necessary.

Tbh if you're terrified of tyre wear then just pump all four to the maximum allowed, that'll keep wear to the absolute minimum although you'll obviously have to drive the car more carefully. Personally if you're that bothered about tyre wear then track days probably aren't a good idea full stop, but on a smooth track like Combe you'll do well to notice any wear at all, whereas an airfield with abrasive concrete can easily kill a set of tyres in a day (done that twice, both times at Elvington B) ).