should I stick to main dealers for service outside warranty?

sprevett

hello zed people - advice needed again :teeth: my 2004 Zed needs a service, not sure which one, it'll be P something I suppose, probably only its second or third service EVER because it's only done 20k miles now, but what with credit crunchies and no monies I was wondering if I shouldn't just get my local garage chaps (who are very good peeps) to service it rather than pay gazillions to a main dealer? My local dealer (Bolton) also tell me they can service it, but not do warranty repairs, 'cos they just lost the franchise :scare: - and that RENAULT yes RENAULT frenchy mechanics are now the main dealers or summat....wot?!!?

although I am out of warranty I was rather hoping to get my halfshafts replaced cos it still goes clonky clonky even though they were rotated & greased blah blah blah which WE ALL KNEW would never work didn't we ? am I likely to get this done even though my warranty is finito?

oh God...so much easier just driving the Griff. :p

I have a local independent chap who is great. He has serviced all my cars for the last 12 years. I’m certain he is far better than Nissan dealerships, and I trust him. If you can find someone similar in your area, go for it.

I had my clicky driveshafts replaced out of warranty and Nissan paid a 50% contribution.

I'd stick to the main dealers as they are competitive and you can shout at them if they do it wrong!

depends on the dealer, some are good, most are hopeless.

i won't touch glyn hopkins in ipswich there sales team put in enough hard work to put me off ever stepping foot through the doors again. so i'm not giving there service department the same opportunity to wind me up.

i've found a good independent who work on race tuned cars etc, and know the zed well. so they get my business instead. i'm sure there are some good independents up your way, thats where most of them tend to be. ;) its difficult finfing them down south, i have to go to the london outskirts for mine

thanks for all the feedback guys - and Sarnie if that's your chick I think I should meet her :p - anyway, I now know it's a P3 service due and I think I'll see what the price is from a dealer and then decide if it's worth it. Is there anything special on a P3 service? do they use special engine oils or anything or is it all rather basic stuff?

That was my thread linky :D

Sprevett go to L&G in Manchester - you cannot fault them at that price :thumbs:

Some things are optional though guys:-

e.g. coolant replacement - they can test the coolant for strength - might save you a few quid.

Plugs - on the first P3 as well.

I think the plugs are up to you mate - the car is 5 years old so I would personally, but it's your money at the end of the day.

Choices near you:-

Nissan Chorley - been there - very good

Lockwood & Greenwood (L&G) - http://www.lockwoodandgreenwood.co.uk - also very good & probably cheaper as they're giving discount to new customers. L&G charge £35 for the oil so it's up to you if you take your own.