really wide 18's or 19's???

wide

I personally wouldn't put 19's on my car as you sacrifice handling.

Dont really agree with you there Im afraid.

Ive found that fitting the coilovers and 19's hasnt made any detrimental effect to my cars handling. In fact, Ive pushed her harder before things start to get outta hand.

Thats just my experiance though with my Zed.

That's honestly rubbish!

Ive gone from the 18" rays to 19" 5Zigen 9" Front, 10" Rear wheels, and i can only say the car feels a lot more responsive and enjoyable to drive on the 19's than it did on the 18's!

Anyway, for 99% of us its a road car, we dont drive it anywhere near the limit and you would never in reality notice the difference between 18's and 19's in daily use!

So i'd say if you like the look of 19's go for it. Heres some before and after pics for me...

Photo0208.jpg

Photo0212.jpg

Photo0213.jpg

Photo0219.jpg

Photo0220.jpg

I havent driven a Zed on anything other than 18's but I would imagine that the effect is minimal. Especially in Lexx case where the coilovers would have made a much better handling car than the 19s could take away. But what people have to remember is that they say 19s are better, but in all (cases I can rememeber) every person has gone from 17/18 to 19 but have also stepped up the width of the tyre. I think the added grip this gives will hide what it takes from responsiveness. When I had my Rotas refurbed and had my Rays back on (both 18s), you could feel the Rays would turn in quicker, but also made the car more twitchy.

The thing I would most question is the stagger front to rear. I dont know what is or isnt a good combo, but you need to watch you dont make the rear too much wider than the front unless the car will have an even greater tendancy to understeer on the limit. I'm sure others will be along soon with recommendations :)

If you want the car to go faster then reducing unsprung weight is key. As you increase wheel size and tyre width the unsprung weight goes up.

The forged Rays are just about as light as you can get in 18" wheels without spending ££££.

Bigger wheels can look better though!

If you stick with a light 19" the difference the extra unsprung weight makes should be minimal. 18" for track or serious driving, 20"/heavy 19" for posing, light 19" for the best compromise on looks/handling. :thumbs:

Or just run some 8" and 10" 18's like me :D :D

Good point - style makes a difference too. The standard Rays look small because of their design (lip, convex spokes etc.) but an 18" with spokes that come right out to the rim can look pretty damn sexy too.

The correct offsets and lowering can make a huge difference with 18" rims.

not working herbie !!

hmmmm i know, dont know wtf has happened with that post, all the tags are correct :wacko: lol

I have 20's and my car feels planted

Any pictures of your 20's please !!

Yup any excuse LOL

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

If you stick with a light 19" the difference the extra unsprung weight makes should be minimal. 18" for track or serious driving, 20"/heavy 19" for posing, light 19" for the best compromise on looks/handling. :thumbs:

I agree with this, although it may not always be possible...

My 19's are cheap ass and heavy, and i now have very little confidence in my car compared to my 17" JDM's. Im running fk452's though in the same sizes as everyone else - so it is because of the wheels' size and weight.

Now for a lightweight set of 19's you're looking at £1.5k minimum i think with tyres, which was simply out of my budget.

Given the choice again i'd rather get 18's and retain most of my handling, and with the change lower it too.

I agree with this, although it may not always be possible...

My 19's are cheap ass and heavy, and i now have very little confidence in my car compared to my 17" JDM's. Im running fk452's though in the same sizes as everyone else - so it is because of the wheels' size and weight.

Now for a lightweight set of 19's you're looking at £1.5k minimum i think with tyres, which was simply out of my budget.

Given the choice again i'd rather get 18's and retain most of my handling, and with the change lower it too.

It could be the weight of the wheels. I'd agree that £1.5k minimum is required to get a decent set of lightweight 19's and tyres and that's bottom end.

Have you had your alignment checked since you fitted the new wheels? Worth doing as it can make a real difference to the feel and handling. :thumbs: