A few newbie Q's

gpmanning7

Hi all

First of all great site, really helpful members.

I'm looking to get an import 350z - budget to about £11k (sub 50k miles) but I've seen quite a few new off the boat for less than £10k. Need to get something more fun and less practical before the marriage and babies set in.

I have already spent about 4 hours on the site on the usual FAQ so I know about the radio frequency, potential known "problems" - click etc,

Some things I haven’t managed to bottom out are the following:

- Cruise control – is this possible at all on the JDM or only on UK cars with the GT pack?

- Import Direct – anyone got experience, look like some good stock there: http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/134425/index.htm

- Boot space – hard to tell from pics, how much can you get in? eg a suitcase or sports bag without it going on “her†lap !

- Should I be worried spending less than £10k? seems cheap for what you get.

- Folding mirrors - was this an option or standard on JDM?

- Auto box – is there a method to which ones will have it or was it an option so could be on any?

I’m not so bothered about the following so hopefully I’m being flexible but feel free to set me straight !!

- BOSE CDs can skip – I’ll prob get an after market to integrate ipod and Bluetooth hands free

- Speedo conversion – not bothered by the sticker etc

- Indicator on the right – I actually think this is better as you can keep your left arm rested and still overtake on the motorway using the signal

- Wheels – would prefer the standard 7 spoke

- Upgrades – not looking to upgrade anything but I’ll see if I can avoid the temptation once I get one.

- Brembos – not bothered as I won’t be using it for the track

- Square plates – quite like the rear, would prob fit a front UK plate

- Sat Nav – will keep my TomTom Europe

- Speed limit – not nothered, can’t imagine I’ll need to go above 112 anyway in the London traffic jams !!

- Colour – would prefer the blade silver / gray – is that dull?

- MPG – no prob as I use public transport to commute.

Enough of my questions now, I look forward to the responses and hpe I’ve not asked questions that are already here – I did try to weed them out.

Thanks

Gary

Hi all

First of all great site, really helpful members.

I'm looking to get an import 350z - budget to about £11k (sub 50k miles) but I've seen quite a few new off the boat for less than £10k. Need to get something more fun and less practical before the marriage and babies set in.

I have already spent about 4 hours on the site on the usual FAQ so I know about the radio frequency, potential known "problems" - click etc,

- Cruise control – is this possible at all on the JDM or only on UK cars with the GT pack? Uk only I think

- Import Direct – anyone got experience, look like some good stock there: http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/134425/index.htm They look decent not heard of them though

- Boot space – hard to tell from pics, how much can you get in? eg a suitcase or sports bag without it going on “her†lap ! More than you think, can't get a suitcase in but if you pack a sportsbag that can be stuffed under or over the strut you'll be fine.

- Should I be worried spending less than £10k? seems cheap for what you get. No, drive off laughing at the seller

- Folding mirrors - was this an option or standard on JDM? standard on uk cars

- Auto box – is there a method to which ones will have it or was it an option so could be on any? auto is JDM only

I’m not so bothered about the following so hopefully I’m being flexible but feel free to set me straight !!

- BOSE CDs can skip – I’ll prob get an after market to integrate ipod and Bluetooth hands free Probably the best thing to do.

- Speedo conversion – not bothered by the sticker etc

- Indicator on the right – I actually think this is better as you can keep your left arm rested and still overtake on the motorway using the signal

- Wheels – would prefer the standard 7 spoke 7 spoke? Are they the horrid 17's?

- Upgrades – not looking to upgrade anything but I’ll see if I can avoid the temptation once I get one. Of course you won't

- Brembos – not bothered as I won’t be using it for the track I'd defo try to get one with Brembo's, think about resale

- Square plates – quite like the rear, would prob fit a front UK plate +1

- Speed limit – not nothered, can’t imagine I’ll need to go above 112 anyway in the London traffic jams !! Yeah right ;)

- Colour – would prefer the blade silver / gray – is that dull? YES, VERY!!!

- MPG – no prob as I use public transport to commute. :yahoo:

Enough of my questions now, I look forward to the responses and hpe I’ve not asked questions that are already here – I did try to weed them out.

Thanks

Gary

:thumbs:

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would have thought that with the exchange rate and the price of the cars already in the UK, both domestic and JDM, it would hardly be worth importing. For around 10k you should have a pretty good choice of options. :)

Tend to agree with the argument for not buying an import, why bother when you can probably pick up a UK example for similar money.

Bought my roadster for £11950 sub 13,000 miles gt pack etc.. dont see the need to buy an import, but thats just me perhaps.

- Cruise control – is this possible at all on the JDM or only on UK cars with the GT pack? I thought it was also available on the version T and ST jap car?

- Import Direct – anyone got experience, look like some good stock there: http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/134425/index.htm no but try jurgen at jm-imports.co.uk

- Boot space – hard to tell from pics, how much can you get in? eg a suitcase or sports bag without it going on “her†lap ! you can fit more in than you think - never been a problem for me

- Should I be worried spending less than £10k? seems cheap for what you get. agree with sarnie's comment - bargains to be had at the mo!

- Folding mirrors - was this an option or standard on JDM? I think standard on JDM - I have them on my version S anyway

- Auto box – is there a method to which ones will have it or was it an option so could be on any? will be advertised as auto or tiptronic but only on jap cars and all versions I think

- BOSE CDs can skip – I’ll prob get an after market to integrate ipod and Bluetooth hands free - that's what i did as jap stuff is useless anyway

- Speedo conversion – not bothered by the sticker etc mine was done to the exact spec as a uk speedo - no daft sticker involved

- Indicator on the right – I actually think this is better as you can keep your left arm rested and still overtake on the motorway using the signal - absolutely - great for one handed driving

- Wheels – would prefer the standard 7 spoke - not sure which you mean?

- Upgrades – not looking to upgrade anything but I’ll see if I can avoid the temptation once I get one.

- Brembos – not bothered as I won’t be using it for the track - agree with sarnie again - people like them when you sell on

- Square plates – quite like the rear, would prob fit a front UK plate - thats what i did

- Speed limit – not nothered, can’t imagine I’ll need to go above 112 anyway in the London traffic jams !! cheap enough to de-restrict

- Colour – would prefer the blade silver / gray – is that dull? VERY

- MPG – no prob as I use public transport to commute.

All

Wow – thanks for the swift responses. Just to tighten up on some of my questions and my thoughts:

 Imported vs to be imported. What I mean is get one that has already been imported and either be the first UK owner or buy 2nd hand.

 Good point on the UK cars too, ie cheaper these days. However as I’d like an auto box I am restricted to import. However I really want cruise as do a lot of motorway between the families so I’ll have to make a choice.

 On that subject – still a differing view on whether cruise is a possibility on an import. Does anyone here have an import with cruise control?

 Wheels – think I’ve confused everyone here. Happy with the standard ones but may upgrade later.

 Bonsai Cars – another import dealer I found, not sure of any reviews – anyone?

 Brembo’s – recommended highly I see. I’ll take note.

 Colour – better rethink the blade, don’t want to be ridiculed forever having been told from the outset :p

 Finally – I didn’t say whether I wanted a roadster or coupe – are there any main differences apart from the obvious? How is boot space on the open top?

Thanks again all. You must have as much work on today as I do :yahoo:

- Wheels – would prefer the standard 7 spoke - not sure which you mean?

7 spoke are on the tiptronic 17's, I guess JDM's (that you get in the UK), the more squarish looking ones with the little diamonds up the spokes.

Welcome to the forum. As the others have eluded, you'll be surprised how much you can get in the back of a Zed, and I'm talking behind the strut bar, I rarely store anything forward of the strut bar as you can't secure it.

 Finally – I didn’t say whether I wanted a roadster or coupe – are there any main differences apart from the obvious? How is boot space on the open top?

The road noise is slightly higher in a roadster, you have slightly less torsional rigidity and the roadster is slightly heavier. That said it doesn't seem to slow the ballistic ZR owned by ZMANALEX. ;)