Panel filter - worth it or not

matth76

Hi

The Nismo race cars use high flow panel filters in a similar stock air box and not a CAI. Was just wondering if anyone had used a high flow panel filter and how their car felt and sounded afterwards? I expect minimal if no gains due to the ecu and probably no sound difference etc but does it rev more freely through the rev range?

Thanks for any info.

I've not noticed any noise change, but then I didn't really when I had the Pipercross CAI. Speaking to a tuner at Advanced Motorsport, he said the best gains they've had are out of just a drop in panel filter - more so than the CAI. But this needs an aftermarket ECU as well. Shows that they're efficient enough tho, prob by Nismo race cars use them.

The stock air box in the Zed is known to actually flow really well vs a CAI. From 06 onwards I beleive they have a venturi ring (one of the selling points of the JWT) which is even better. On the US forums they say the stock 06 airbox smoothed with a better filter gives the best flow rate of any intake. Doesnt change the noise though, which is what we are all after :thumbs:

Also with regard a stock car, the standard air box can flow more than enough air for the engine, so a faster flowing filter will do bugger all. Same goes for pop chargers or whatever, non increase the airflow I've seen from OBD logging (just quick logs). The FBW throttle dials out the extra intake and just opens the throttle less is my guess. :dry:

The stock air box in the Zed is known to actually flow really well vs a CAI. From 06 onwards I beleive they have a venturi ring (one of the selling points of the JWT) which is even better. On the US forums they say the stock 06 airbox smoothed with a better filter gives the best flow rate of any intake. Doesnt change the noise though, which is what we are all after :thumbs:

Also with regard a stock car, the standard air box can flow more than enough air for the engine, so a faster flowing filter will do bugger all. Same goes for pop chargers or whatever, non increase the airflow I've seen from OBD logging (just quick logs). The FBW throttle dials out the extra intake and just opens the throttle less is my guess. :dry:

is it possible to swab stock air box between earlier cars and newer ones "i.e. pre 06 with >06 air box"?

is it possible to swab stock air box between earlier cars and newer ones "i.e. pre 06 with >06 air box"?

I beleive it is, but good luck getting one for a reasonable price :surrender:

if you're going for performance i'd be surprised if the gains were worth forking out on an 06+ airbox.

Most definately not. The stock engine wont do anything with it. If you happen to find one, it might give you a little bit if you get it remapped. Pretty much a waste of money though :dry:

Having used uprated panel filters on the Zed and other cars, not likely to get any improvement in sound or performance. It may be pschological but I felt like the throttle was a tad sharper and on a long run got slightly better economy.

Regardless, they will put cleaner air into the engine compared to a paper filter so good for longevity I guess

Regardless, they will put cleaner air into the engine compared to a paper filter so good for longevity I guess

That depends on the filter. Its quite well documented that most filters allow more dust in compared to stock paper filters, but flow much better and increased flow for longer (due to larger surface area). But do tend to let in a bit more dust. According to the t'interweb ;)

I agree with that. Definately allow more 'unclean' air into the engine.

I've got a Neuspeed induction kit on my golf gti turbo (sounds effing awsome - throaty chishes accelerating and gear changing - just mint), and even though they recommend cleaning only every 60k, I've had to clean and oil it almost every 10k which includes removing my throttle body too and cleaning that up, as it's almost always as bad as the filter!

i have a post 06 air box with the intake pipe and the weird metal inlet thing on it for sale as well as a nismo panel filter, i must admit i thought it did increase the noise slightly and free up the rev range but only very minimally, im open to offers though i dont know if the intake pipe MAF thing is the same fitment on pre 06, if that makes sense... :scare: