Painting induction kit / decal ideas

rtbiscuit

Right have just picked up the K&N typhoon induction kit, and its in good nick, but the metal work needs a clean and a spruce up.

which got me thinking if i'm tidying it up, why not respray it, and change the colour at the same time.

the main box section is easy, it'll get a wash, wire brush wet and dry and a coat of smooth black hammerite for protection and finish and no one is really going to see it.

but its the intake tube i need a little help with, how ever i do it its going to be red, but its the method i use i need a little help on.

option a.

hammerite smooth red, will leave it with a shiney red dip coat finish, its easy to apply, needs very little prep work, is heat proof to pretty high temps and will be quick to do.

option b.

metallic red paint with a laquer finish to seal it. will be all reflective and shiney so you can see your face in it, with tiny metal flecks like a car body work, but prep time is longer, need to do same work as above, but also prime it before hand, paint which is easy, but laquering with out runs is a bitch of a job, especially on something round like a tube as you have to rotate it with out touching it. (will be susspended fro ma beam on a wire) and because it will be hanging vertical runs a high risk of runs.

it will get all new decals (haven't decided what)

at the end of the day its in the engine bay, and no one will really see it.

what are peoples thoughts, or does anyone have any other suggestions.

also while i'm at it, the carbon fibre top has a tiny scuff mark on it (not a problem) but does anyone know of a way to either polish it out, or add some more laquer to hide it (don't know on this as never worked with CF before)

answer on a postcard ;)

I just sprayed a few things under the bonnet....

Engine cover, brake fluid cover, battery cover, caps, strut bar (two colours split) and the oil dip stick.

I sanded, primed, painted and laquered everything. No problem with runs and that was all lying in the back garden. Just kept it rotated and did lots of light coats.

Turned out pretty well.

You could chuck the tube in to a powder coaters.....

I think you like DIY though!

Pipe cleans up nice and easy with autosol ;)

Red would look cool, how about getting it powder coated? Less hassle and good finnish... Wouldnt be more that about £40...

djtim wrapped his box in heat resistant tape, I have removed mine as it gets more air now through the bonnet vent...

Clear nail polish on the cf top?

oh btw, I got a K&N Filter recharge kit in my garage, only used a couple of times.

Your welcome to it for free if you want.

It contains the filter cleaning solution an oiling spray.

I don't need it anymore since I now have a stainless mesh item that doesn't need all that cleaning stuff.

cheers bullet, that would be great. will give the filter a good wash at the weekend, so a recharge would be perfect. will wait till the wife has gone shopping on saturday before i defile the kitchen sink :lol:

also posted with the hammerite pic another one, but this time of candy red metallic. that would be my other option.

as for painting other things, not sure at the moment, i do have plans in my head for the engine bay.

will be fitting my red grounding kit as well this weekend.

at some point i want to get the carbon covers for the engine, battety cover and the other one :blush: have plans for the engine cover, but not sure what yet, still want to retain the carbon but there might be a splash of colour.

also i have a msssive workshop at work and access to laser cutters and vinyl cutters and cad packages, so i can make what i like. may even do abit of my own carbon fibre work, in the engine bay ;)

cheers bullet, that would be great. will give the filter a good wash at the weekend, so a recharge would be perfect. will wait till the wife has gone shopping on saturday before i defile the kitchen sink :lol:

also posted with the hammerite pic another one, but this time of candy red metallic. that would be my other option.

as for painting other things, not sure at the moment, i do have plans in my head for the engine bay.

will be fitting my red grounding kit as well this weekend.

at some point i want to get the carbon covers for the engine, battety cover and the other one :blush: have plans for the engine cover, but not sure what yet, still want to retain the carbon but there might be a splash of colour.

also i have a msssive workshop at work and access to laser cutters and vinyl cutters and cad packages, so i can make what i like. may even do abit of my own carbon fibre work, in the engine bay ;)

Sounds good.

I like the idea of the mettalic however I think it would perhaps clash with future work perhaps...

i'm away tomorrow on a course, will be back late thursday.

or around from 4pm friday onwards and over the weekend.

more than welcome to pop round, be good to catch up.

i've got to wash the car at the weekend if the weathr is good as she is proper filthy, but now i have a little porject, that might have to wait :blush:

argh, I'm away from 2pm ish for the weekend to Nottingham for a LAN Party weekend.

Won't be back till Monday.

don't worry, kit won't be fitted till probably following weekend, want to leave items long enough to harden off before fitting.

could meet up mid week sometime next week

The economics teacher in my school had a kuro black zed, she was FIT aswell :lol::lol: I went back up to the school with my zed but she doesnt work there anymore :wacko: The school must have heard wat we got up 2 :blush:;)

The economics teacher in my school had a kuro black zed, she was FIT aswell :lol::lol: I went back up to the school with my zed but she doesnt work there anymore :wacko: The school must have heard wat we got up 2 :blush:;)

:worthless:

Oh and did you really? That'd be uber cool....

Not the hole hog but yeh good times did happen :lol:

more than my jobs worth.

must admit working in a school as ruined the whole school girl fantasy thing, all my mates think it must be cool to be surrounded by oads of girls in school uniforms, but to be honest, its like having 600 little sisters, all annoying, and you feel protective of them if someone does wrong by them.

i prefer my women older and with more experience. thats why i married another teacher :teeth: plus there the only people who know what its like to be a teacher :lol:

Lol, dude i just couldnt believe my luck haha! She was only 23 at the time and i was 17! SO the whole teacher thing was a dream come true! But come on m8 some of the 6th formers must catch your eye from time to time ;)