Which plenum spacer to go for mark1 350z, Motordyne, kinetix

matth76

Hi

Which plenum spacer is best for the mark1 350z (276hp model)? I understand the 5/16" spacer is all I need but wondered which manufacturer is best quality and yields the best gains?

Will I lose low down torque?

Does anyone have before and after gains on a dyno after fitting their 5/16" spacer on their 276hp 350z to prove the gains?

The alternative I've heard is not using any plenum spacer at all but instead only installing an MREV2 (the later rev-up engine requires both the MREV2 and spacer for optimum results - according to 350z-tech.com). Although I think for me I'd just go with the 5/16" plenum spacer.

And importantly will any of the above invalidate my extended nissan manufacturer warranty?

Thanks for any info on either options.

Matt

Results are all over the internet, check my350z for dynos

Most 5/16" will give the same numbers, but I think there was an issue with skunk2's never had an issue with my motordyne...

No loss of torque...

No it wont invalidate your wtee as they unless they can prove that what you have done has caused the problem you have taken the car in for...

Cost wise the spacer is a better option than the mrev... both are better, spacer is also easier to fit than the mrev...

I thought the MREV2 was for Rev up engines only? The 296 bhp models?

I have the kinetix V+ plenum which replaces the standard item. It's a decent enough bit of kit. I have no dyno readings but doubt you'd lose low down torque. I'd have thought you'd gain it.... The thing about these 'gains' are that I don't believe they are peak gains. The aftermarket plenum or spacer improves midrange in everyday driving.

As for warranty..... most Nissan dealers don't know what a 350Z is let alone be able to tell if it has a plenum spacer of not! :lol:

As the others have said, Motordyne is the most reliable I have heard of (and the one I have!). If installed correctly it will not invalidate your warrenty. Only way it will invalidate it is if you fit it incorrectly and it causes damage.

No loss of torque at all, but it doesnt really add owt at top end either. Its all about getting more mid-range torque and you can defiantely feel it. Its not a lot, but make daily driving easier to pottle around.

Thanks guys. Are you running the ISO "thermal" spacer or "basic" spacer?

I'm erring towards the Motordyne as it seems quite widely used. How much are Motordyne ISO thermal 5/16" spacers from Envy normally? And how many hours fitting do you think it would take a garage to fit? 1-2 hours?

How much can I expect my insurance to go up by? Do Admiral accept mods like this? How should I best describe this mod? On my last car they weren't able to understand what an exhaust manifold (6 branch/headers) were so it was just classed as non-standard exhaust system. However not sure what a plenum spacer would be classed as?

No need to tell insurance... It was on there when you got the car wasnt it????

Easy to fit yourself in about an hour... We have done them at all sorts of places one being a car show last year....

Am running the thermal, you also get another gasket that you fit to help heatsoak, I didnt bother though!

And no, not on commission (Wish I was!!!) :p, just helping out a buisness that offers great help and an amazing service! Oh and they are great people!!

I noticed on the envy site it came with the gasket but wondered if it really needed fitting.

This might be another mod for me to do myself :blush:

Is it possible to fit the plenum upside down :lol::lol:

I think ESR did the gasket for me, but TBH I cant see it making the smallest difference!

Fitting is pretty easy, only mistake I've heard people make is doing the bolts up too tight and stripping them. They torque up with hardly any pressure so most peoples torque wrench wont even register it. If in doubt do it hand tight, the heat cycling of the engine tightens it all up apparently.

I noticed on the envy site it came with the gasket but wondered if it really needed fitting.

This might be another mod for me to do myself :blush:

Is it possible to fit the plenum upside down :lol::lol:

I think ESR did the gasket for me, but TBH I cant see it making the smallest difference!

Fitting is pretty easy, only mistake I've heard people make is doing the bolts up too tight and stripping them. They torque up with hardly any pressure so most peoples torque wrench wont even register it. If in doubt do it hand tight, the heat cycling of the engine tightens it all up apparently.

Oh and don't trap the rubbery bit round the oil cap under it either.

We do have Motordyne in stock, although going fast. Next batch are ordered so when these run out you wont have to wait long. :thumbs: Keith yours is put aside.

How much for these ?? any student discounts :lol:

Who is Keith ??

Cheers

Heath

We do have Motordyne in stock, although going fast. Next batch are ordered so when these run out you wont have to wait long. :thumbs: Keith yours is put aside.

Who is Keith ??

Cheers

Heath

Keith is Maccaman. ;)

Who is Keith ??

Cheers

Heath

Student discount that is a crackin idea! Does this mean traders will give me student discount from now on? :lol::blush: