headlight condensation

ireynolds

Guys...im getting to the end of my tether with my headlights.

They are either working, not working or one is one isnt...im adament that its due to condensation, what can I do besides getting new lights to fix it, cos its really pissing me off now!!! :(

Never heard of any problems with headlights before, what year and spec is your Zed, is it a JDM or ?

Guys...im getting to the end of my tether with my headlights.

They are either working, not working or one is one isnt...im adament that its due to condensation, what can I do besides getting new lights to fix it, cos its really pissing me off now!!! :(

Similar issue here... http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... headlights

:thumbs:

Were you talking about this a few weeks ago?

To me, it sounds like a faulty ballast or something...

In that case you have 3 options.

1. Replace like for like - not sure of the price, but looking at mucho dollar i'd think.

2. Turn your lights into regular halogen lights, bypassing the HID kit. This will cost you about a fiver plus bulbs, and a few hours DIY work. Can talk you through this if you want to go down this route - just PM me...

3. Buy an aftermarket HID kit, and replace your stock HID kit with it. These kits start at about £40 on eBay, but im not vouching for their quality...naturally i'd assume that the more expensive kits would last longer. This last option is probably what i'd go for though.

Either way, this is all easy enough to do yourself - i wouldnt take it to a garage for this.

Hope this helps...

No that link is regarding a guy with ssues with the plastic itself.

Mine is a UK spec.

There is loads of clearly visible water in one. I pulled the back off when i wasnt driving for a while and let it air...cleared and so i screwed the back back on...it came back :(

Can the seals on the screw back perish or be re made some how to prevent the condensation build up?

Hi there. The rubber seals that you talkof are pretty robust. I have worked with many headlights and never once seen a dodgy seal. The round backing is extremely difficult to get in. Are you removing the whole light unit or just acessing it via the wheel arch ? The backing has 5 slots on it and they aren't spaced evenly so they only fit in one way.

When you dried the lights out the hid bulbs work again ?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yeah the hid worked before on that bulb...then condensation came and went, then the snow bought the other one condensation, and now both bulbs dont bloody work! :rant:

When I put them back on they were defo sealed shut.

I do it through the wheel arch, as I cant for the life of me get the front bumper off.

not arch liners or undertray ??? think that might be your problem then

hadnt realised this was the set up with the nismo front end ?

maybe someone else can confirm this :wacko:

there will be shed loads of water getting in and around you lights which wont help them at all

not arch liners or undertray ??? think that might be your problem then

hadnt realised this was the set up with the nismo front end ?

maybe someone else can confirm this :wacko:

there will be shed loads of water getting in and around you lights which wont help them at all

+1 on this Paul, there will be loads of water, and the eliments from the road.......

Okay....the saga continues.

I have bought two new bulbs from the internet...as I cant keep driving round with full beams on.

Fitted them both today. the connector on the back twisted into locking position on the back so definately connected properly.

Still neither bulb works.

Thought it must be the fuse, but on investigation both the fuses in the drivers footwell and the fuses in the battery compartment dont seem to have a headlight fuse?

Am i looking in the wrong place or barking up the wrong tree?

What else could it be that could cause both to go more or less at the same time, and still not work when the bulb is replaced?

Thanks

Ian

Ok, I have a light that sometimes stops working.

Paul T had a look at it when my lights were getting some further work done a while ago. I think he dried out the power packs.

I now need to do it again after the current weather.

I will have to investigate further though as it pisses me off taking the car to bits all the time to dry power packs.

You could try that for a start.

Well I'm going to investigate!

Maybe put them on a medium heat radiator or dry them by putting a halogen light near them.

I would be too extreme with the heat.

I think I'll dry out really well and seal up the twist off cover at the back as I'm sure it's getting in there even though it has an oring.

• 1 month later...

Ok,

The saga continues - after 3 weeks of driving around with my full beams on as neither headlight works - i did some afternoon investigations in the sun.

I can only think I have used the wrong level bulb??

I have been buying the 6000k version of these:

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/xenon-hid-d2s-d2r-replacement-bulbs-p-217.html

and last time i did, they were put in and have blown immediately...my question is are 6000k too much? or too little?

Any answers would be good - i need to order some new ones asap :)

6000k relates to the colour of the light the bulb emits, not its power... as far as i know there is only 1 type of D2R bulb, which you can buy in many different colour 'temperatures'. I have 8000k in mine for a blue tinge.

It really does sound like your ballasts mate...

I think your only options are:

1. buy some new bulbs - purely to rule out defective bulbs now... can get them for £30 delivered for a pair.

2. if that fails, either convert your lights to non-hid so that you use only regular bulbs, or buy an after market hid kit for < £50 and fit those instead.

3. if you want oem... then see if you can buy some hid ballasts from a breakers, but they wont be cheap...

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back up....but im still puzzled!

Ive recently had the car in for a service and asked them to check out the lights....

They mentioned that the backs werent on properly which would cause the condensation - ok....here what I dont get.

1. Condensation builds up as the seal isnt tight in the headlight - possibly letting water in

2. If you remove the back completely - condensation goes (but the opening into the light was causing the condensation??)

3. Isnt there a drain tube from the light to let condensation out? (therefore meaning the lights arent airtight anyway?)

My question is...ive now got the backs on 100% securely, and the condensation (although reduced in one light) has returned.

Is it worth drilling the back of the sealled back screw on section, as I can then attach my own rubber tube to air the light?

Im not going to simply replace the lights to blow a 3rd set while they continue to have condensation!

Any suggestions are always welcome...sorry to keep bringin the problem up!

Sorry to bring this back up....but im still puzzled!

Ive recently had the car in for a service and asked them to check out the lights....

They mentioned that the backs werent on properly which would cause the condensation - ok....here what I dont get.

1. Condensation builds up as the seal isnt tight in the headlight - possibly letting water in

2. If you remove the back completely - condensation goes (but the opening into the light was causing the condensation??)

3. Isnt there a drain tube from the light to let condensation out? (therefore meaning the lights arent airtight anyway?)

My question is...ive now got the backs on 100% securely, and the condensation (although reduced in one light) has returned.

Is it worth drilling the back of the sealled back screw on section, as I can then attach my own rubber tube to air the light?

Im not going to simply replace the lights to blow a 3rd set while they continue to have condensation!

Any suggestions are always welcome...sorry to keep bringin the problem up!

I need to look at mine tonight as my MOT is due!

I was planning on drying out the power pack to get it working then worry about it more later! :lol:

If I find out anything I'll let you know.

You need arch liners and just cause you have the nismo dosnt mean you cant have them. They will fit.. They can be bought from Nissan or get your self to a scrappers and find one with rear end damage. Too much around those areas to run without arch liners... esp in the uk... Have you got an under tray too? If not I suggest you get one whilst your at it...

Lights... One way to dry them is to get some of those little silicone bags that come in handbags and brief cases that get thrown away, open up the lights, remove the bulbs and place these inside (in a place you can just pull them out!) this may solve your damp issue, but your lights will already be damaged by the moisture. It may be worth getting them to paul for a repair.

Also cause you have had loads of water swishing about around the lights your problem could be anywhere.... it may not be bulbs and it could be wiring... The lights are pretty water tight but, and I am not saying this is the case, but as your car has a nismo and no front arches then it may have been in a little prang, bumper replaced, but not headlights cause they loooked ok. There may have been a little crack or split and now water has got in... A bit of freeze / thaw action over the winter will have opened up the cracks more...

To help out I do have a spare set of UK lights which I could loan you (you would need to pay for the insured p+p / collection both ways and I would also need a hefty deposit refundable on lights being in the same condition as when they left me), you could then send yours to Paul for repair and put mine on the car whilst they are away... Or paul may have a set he can send you as a loan for the same purpose.

Let me know if I can help,

Mark