Manual or automatic?

new2350z

Have been looking for a UK 350z GT with good miles, so far without success as have limited budget (£9.5K). Am now considering imports since they seem to be around a grand cheaper on average so might be able to pick something up in that price range. I see that many imports have the tiptronic gearbox - can anyone shed any light on how good it is both in fully automatic and sequential mode. I always prefer manual but if the tiptronic gearbox was good I might have to consider these aswell if I'm to bag a zed!

Cheers

You should easily be able to get a UK spec for that price, might be a 53 plate with higher miles, but well worth it imo.

I drove an auto 350z before I picked mine, I hated it, I didn't feel involved. Not sure about tip though. I went for manual, and that's what the zed was made for.... :teeth:

I just think when coming to sell you might find the JDM / auto a little harder to get rid of as well, or am I wrong?

Yeah I agree with you, think the manual is really what I want and if thime cos to sell, the import would be harder to shift without losing big money. Think im just being a bit impatient - since testdriving a few when off last week im just itching to get one asap. Think i should cool my jets and im sure the right one will come along eventually. Have seen higher mileage cars in budget but have stayed clear of them to hopefully try get something with no more than mid 30k miles on clock - is there any reliability/performance issues with higher mileage cars?

cheers

You should easily be able to get a UK spec for that price, might be a 53 plate with higher miles, but well worth it imo.

I drove an auto 350z before I picked mine, I hated it, I didn't feel involved. Not sure about tip though. I went for manual, and that's what the zed was made for.... :teeth:

I just think when coming to sell you might find the JDM / auto a little harder to get rid of as well, or am I wrong?

+1 I have also driven a tip and was not impressed at all, manual all the way for me :thumbs:

Mines done near 67k miles and I've only ever had 2 problems with the car in 18 months, 1) Clicking rear Axle, and 2) Drivers airbag light (reset job).

The clicking axle was done under warranty.

Otherwise, apart from a few stone chips it still drives like the dogs doobies. And the interior is wearing well.

But...I do know what you mean about mileage, it's just a stigma we can't seem to overcome.

Plus, personally - I would wait until the weather gets better to buy - the zed is at it's best to drive in Spring / Summer!

Speaking from a position of almost complete ignorance on the Zed Tiptronic, I have always felt that if you don't want a real manual in a sports car, you probably shouldn't be buying a sports car...

Thats a joke right? :lol:

Sounds like my mate. Moaned about my tiptronic Zed not being a REAL sports car and then he went and bought the 140bhp celica :lol:

Ive had both tiptronic and manual Zeds.

The auto is brilliant if you live in a town somewhere and often get caught in traffic as I find clutch is quite heavy on the manual Zeds so is just more comfortable. The auto still goes really well on the odd days you want to give it some.

The manual is great if you dont live in an area of heavy traffic and arent always on the clutch, manual gives more feel to the car.

I'd say the manual feels a little quicker too but its easy to miss gear changes as the gearbox is quite stiff (in a good way, sort of)

(sorry if this post made no sense - im still half asleep) :lol:

Go for the Manual! I owned a Mitsu FTO Tiptronic for about 3 years which i've just sold and bought my first 350z (Manual).

The tip is nice but it makes you incredibly lazy when driving and for the past year the FTO became very boring to drive.

If you buy one you wont be disappointed but im sure the novelty will wear off over time.

Go for the Manual! I owned a Mitsu FTO Tiptronic for about 3 years which i've just sold and bought my first 350z (Manual).

The tip is nice but it makes you incredibly lazy when driving and for the past year the FTO became very boring to drive.

If you buy one you wont be disappointed but im sure the novelty will wear off over time.

+1 I used to have a car with a tip box & paddle shifters, within 6months the novelty had worn off & I wanted a manual again