Newbie buying advice

new2350z

Hi, have been looking to change car and had shortlisted a BMWZ4 3.0, Audi TT (3.2V6) and 350Z. I just had a testdrive in the 350Z and it blew we away, AWESOME -now I want one badly. the one I tested was an 04 UK spec GT, leather etc which I could get for 12k. Unfortunately my budget is about 10k so i'm now considering (somewhat reluctantly) to look at imports in the hope I could get something withing budget with equivalent GT spec.

Having had limited time to research stuff, I'm not too sure of the pitfalls of the import market - seems they generally are lower spec that UK GT's but am more worried about being legal for UK roads. Would I be right in thinking that if buying an 'used' import that all the necessary mods/conversions have been done to make it UK legal. If buying direct from importer (bansaicars) - do they do all they modifications for you before delivery and is there additional registration/import duty to pay outside the purchase price, and what import models are most similar to UK GT spec.

As an aside, I've yet to take a testdrive in the Z4/AudiTT as I can see the 350Z being bettered, but just out of curiousity I might arrange anyway - has anyone else driven these other cars to compare.

Sorry for all the questions but since driving the car I now am seriously gonna try fing one in my price range but need to know as mch about these cars as possible since am basically starting from knowing nothing!

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

I test drove the new shape 3.2 Audi TT and thought it was great, though I preferred the 2.0t and much preferred the Zed. With a £10k budget I'd imagine you're looking at the old shape TT? - From what I've read, it's nowhere near as good to drive as the new one, which isn't as good as the Zed so the obvious choice is the Zed!

As for the Z4, I didn't even test drive it; I got to the showroom and just didn't like the look of it, I was going from a Boxster and felt it was too big a step down and it was a bit girly.

As for an import; don't let that put you off if you see a car you like; I've had two import FTOs in the past and had absolutely no issues with either of them. The only thing to possibly put you off an import is other people's ignorance; you might find it more difficult to sell on as people are unsure about them, as are Nissan dealers I believe.

Here is a suggestion, what about a car auction? I have been here several times

http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/

some of the bargins they have had were unreal so much cheaper than autotrader or a dealer. I was a bit put off at first by not being able to give it a once over but if you get something with warranty on it then any problems (or at least most) the dealer will sort and any cosmetic damage you can see, plus most of the people selling there are lease companies so cars are generally returned to them in good nick other wise you get charged and are always main dealer serviced! To give you an example the last time I was there was Oct 08 and they sold a 57 Golf GTi with 8k on the clock for 12k

Now given that I paid 12k for my 2006 55 plate roadster GT with 19k on the clock from a private seller in Nov I would suggest that 10k in the auction house and a little luck might get you a real bargin.

Obviously if you still wanted dealer warranty on it you would be looking at a late reg 55 plate and with 10k it might be possible, worth a go - who knows in todays market and its a day out looking at some rather nice cars...when I went they were selling a year old M3's M'6 R32's 911's the list went on, Plus gives you an idea of what the auction value of cars are if you do decide to go down that route!

Dont get these sites confused with the dodgy back street auctions (we have one down the road) and it just sells rubbish for £100 a go! This place sells for lots of big lease companies and also main dealers

If you go on that website subscribe to something called aution view, costs about £10 and that is there version of autotrader and covers all the stock they have in all of thier sites (1000's of cars). Lets you see what zeds they have in stock and the spec and obviously the date of the auction!

I just bought a gun metal grey, 04 plate 350Z with 31,000 miles, full Nissan service history, dvd player, 18" alloys, 1 previous owner and not a scratch/knock or even slight wear and tear on it for £9500.

Is that very cheap? Yes. It's a buyers market at the moment mate. Don't be afraid to go for something priced at 12k and come in with an extortionately low bid in cash or w/e.

I just bought a gun metal grey, 04 plate 350Z with 31,000 miles, full Nissan service history, dvd player, 18" alloys, 1 previous owner and not a scratch/knock or even slight wear and tear on it for £9500.

Is that very cheap? Yes. It's a buyers market at the moment mate. Don't be afraid to go for something priced at 12k and come in with an extortionately low bid in cash or w/e.

Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcome to the site - very impressed with it, and thanks for the help so far. RobbieB, that deal you got sounds fantastic - did you buy from a dealer or private and was it an import? If I could haggle a deal like that I'd definately jump in! Have another 350z test drive booked today, the convertible this time, just to compare toa Z4 if I ever even bother test driving one cos I'm now totally sold on the nissan :D