happy chinese new year everyone

So call me stupid but I've always wondered why is there a Chinese New Year but not, say, a Japanese New Year?

I could understand if it was maybe the Buddhist New Year or some kind of religious annual event but why would one country do this and another would not?

What do they do in Beijing on Dec 31st, just stay at home?! :wacko:

I probably should understand it better after my years training in martial arts but no-ones ever mentioned it!

Oh and I can swear quite colourfully/badly in Mandarin thanks to Firefly

(Best show ever and my Avatar)

:lol:

So call me stupid but I've always wondered why is there a Chinese New Year but not, say, a Japanese New Year?

I could understand if it was maybe the Buddhist New Year or some kind of religious annual event but why would one country do this and another would not?

What do they do in Beijing on Dec 31st, just stay at home?! :wacko:

I probably should understand it better after my years training in martial arts but no-ones ever mentioned it!

Oh and I can swear quite colourfully/badly in Mandarin thanks to Firefly

(Best show ever and my Avatar)

:lol:

It's to do with the way the Chinese calculates the annual calender, they call it the moon calender, so because they adhere to a different format of dates, hence it's new years like two days ago.....

Japanese don't use this method....so no Japanese new year....

I think the mexicans may have also a different way of calculating days...the old aztecs....

i think for say december 31st people in china celebrate... well the youth do... the elderly folk generally try to stick to the lunar calendar.. but its all a bit of a con/faf as every other day of the year they just use the western calendar...

not really complaining though.. think i was given about 400 quid... :lol: put a tenner in the roulette machine (my families tradition) and came away with an extra 300 quid B) so all in all a good day..

my best mate actually does the lion dance (he' the head of the red one..hsi arse is his brother in law.. hahaha).. its his dad that runs the chollerford gym.. they did like a 10 minute show at aspers and got paid 3 grand for it :scare:

-ho

Is there a difference when writing between Mandarin and Cantonese?

no there's no difference... they write chinese.... just words are said differently as martin says regional dialects.. i mean put it simply.. us northerners dont really understand scousers.. so imagine the size difference between china and england.. thats why the variation in languages...

-ho

Is there a difference when writing between Mandarin and Cantonese?

no there's no difference... they write chinese.... just words are said differently as martin says regional dialects.. i mean put it simply.. us northerners dont really understand scousers.. so imagine the size difference between china and england.. thats why the variation in languages...

-ho

Eh, la?