Can I change my own brake pads?

pcw1982

Hello all,

Just had a service and been advised that need new pads all round, seen a lot of threads of you guys saying you've changed your own, following a service, MOT and 4 new tyres like the idea of doing it on the cheap. :thumbs:

I'm not great with cars but would get help fron my Dad who is pretty handy, is there much to it, could a novice manage? After all its a pretty inportant job!

Managed to change the pads on my MGF a few years ago.

Thanks.

Having mine done on Monday (don't see the point of getting my hands dirty these days). Yeah you should be fine doing your own, especially as you have done pads before. Takes about a hour according to those that have done their own. Common advice is to make sure you copper grease the back edge if you have Brembos. Go for it & good luck (its always feels better if you've done it yourself)

Me and a friend changed mine. The standard JDM calipers though. We also changed the discs and cleaned and painted the calipers. I did the same job on my own, to my old saxo following a forum guide. Make sure you have everything before you start as you usually find the shops are shut when you really need something. :teeth:

I would give it a go if you have the space and the tools.

12102008957.jpg

• 4 months later...
if you can change a wheel then you can change pads, its that simple ;)

brembo's ?

just pull the clips out then the pins and remove the pads, copper grease the rear of the new ones

Wow, don't you need to bleed the fluid or anything? I should really have a proper look around here for the guide, I guess. :)

Mal.

If it is a Brembo set up you have then it is eazy peazy but the JDM set up does involve a bit more work.

If you are running Brembos then a brake pad upgrade to Ferodo DS 2500 should seriously be considered.

Ferodo DS 2500 in stock and available at £180.00.

Brembo pads in stock and available at £125.00

Alex.