Self assessment doesnt have to be taxing

Chesterfield

Has anyone else come to the conclusion that the above statement is just the biggest load of b*ll*cks?

I think if HMRC tried hard enough, they could probably make the process just that little bit more complicated.

In fact if it was mandatory to fill in whilst standing on your head, I think that would possibly be the only way of making this more troublesome.

Took four attempts to get the correct form for Liz. At the last attempt I was asked why I had left it so late :headhurt:

Its a major headache each year. Glad I am PAYE. Still keep getting those " you may be paying too much tax" letters though.

I AM :dry: But I am not going to get assessed on the offchance :lol:

As I take dividends as a director, I get the joys of filling it in every year.

Last year they wouldnt speak to me as I wasnt answering the security questions correctly, it turned out that they had my address recorded incorrectly, but it took four attempts of phoning in and providing details and changing the adress each time before they would speak to me.

I did contemplate just not bothering, becuase after all as they had my address wrong - where would they send the heavies?

Then they decided I had been a director for 3 years longer than I actually had, so sent me tax returns for those years, and then fined me £100 for not fillinng them in, I had to send the signed company docs stating when I took the position before they refunded me that.

Then they have best guessed with my dividends until I send the form in. Both myself and my brother have EXACTLY the same income, yet our tax codes are considerably different.

The whole system is a shower of sh1t if Im honest.

It amazes me that you can go to the Jobcentre and they will happily sit down for hours explaining to someone exactly how they apply for benefits and showing them the processes for ensuring they get everything entitled to - yet the tax office give you the most complicated system ever known to man, and expect you to work your own way through it... :dry:

I have to deal with them quite frequently through work, and they are a NIGHTMARE (apologies to anyone who works for HMRC :L )

Some of the forms may as well be in a foreign language for all the sense they make! And as for getting any decent help in plain english over the phone.. forget it :headhurt:

Good luck :surrender:

At the risk of letting out a nasty secret, I'm a Chartered Accountant, if you have any queries or problems let me know and I might be able to help. Tax isn't my speciality but I still know a thing or two.

Also as a tip my local tax office is really good, you can literally go in and see them and they will talk you though how to fill out your TR, obviously this only really works if you have relatively basic affairs. Might be worth trying yours.

All the best.

Agree with the above, being self-employed i make the pilgrimage to my local tax office once a year, and they are really friendly and very helpful. They help me fill in my form which i forget how to do every time :blush: This year for the first time ever i've had a tax rebate :yahoo: This couldn't of come at a better time, as i've been off work with a slipped disc for the past 3 weeks :crutches: So the tax man is my mate :teeth:

I am fairly certain there is an entire government department dedicated to making forms as complicated as possible. :wacko:

Seriously though, as a business owner myself, it does seem often that the government wants a communist state simply because they make it so hard for any individual to make any money for himself.

They force you to go through torture to give THEM money annually, then use it to literally threaten people via TV ads/letters/radio into paying them more money for Road Tax/Council Tax/TV Licence etc

I'm not a particularly political person but it does annoy me :rant:

Rant over..for now....

It drove me round the bend filling in tax forms when I was on PAYE and even though I now work as a 'sole trader' rather than waste my earning time trying to figure out puzzles (and giving myself headaches) I am quite happy to pay the accountant to do the necessary. Value for money in my book. :)

Im sure Martin will agree with me I say how difficult it can be to claim FED.

I tried to do it myself the first few times, but got fed up of banging my head against the call centers muppets. Ended up paying an accountant to do it for me.

But now Im PAYE through the Scottish Govt. so dont have to worry about it.

Her

Majesty's

Royaly

Comlicated tax service