when spinning on ice?

ARphotographs

Jay and i were just discussing this and we cant agree,

so hopefully we can get other peoples views, i know stew has done skid pan stuff so should be able to help.

If you hit ice and your steering wheel is turned to the right, and the car starts to slide round clockwise, to straighten it up you turn the wheel opposite lock, is this correct?

but to a certain point you can correct it, if your past it then turn into it so would keep the wheel turned to the right and then it will complete a 180 or 360.

comments please,

Adam

If you hit a proper chunk of ice, good luck doing anything! It'll all be over before you can think, and forget about TC that wont react quick enough either.

BUT, should you hit a patch of ice and then back on normal tarmac, you should steer into the skit, pointing the front wheels where you want to go. So if turning right and the back end kicks out, you should give it some opposite lock (turn to the left) but keep the wheels pointing in the direction you want to go. If you are past the point when opposite lock will work, then you prob dont have the room to 360 without hitting something, but in theory, keeping the wheels turned to the right would help

If in a spin, both feet in.

Hit both brake and clutch and hope for the best. If you get the tail wagging a bit on purpose (or even if not) and you're quick/talented enough then you can catch it by steering into the skid whilst maintaining a steady balance on the throttle (don't lift off, you'll simply spin quicker), but for 90% of people my first line usually works as the best way of getting yourself into the least amount of trouble.

Well I would always keep the wheels pointing in the direction you want to go.

You can use the clutch to cut then feather power in to gain control if it's low speed.

If you are understeering badly going round a roundabout (for instance) so turning the wheel right, you can turn the wheel to the left and then turn right again and it'll bite in. Great in a FWD car!

I'm talking about road driving as I have only done skid pan a couple of times and it was for road driving!

If you hit a proper chunk of ice, good luck doing anything! It'll all be over before you can think, and forget about TC that wont react quick enough either.

+1

:lol::lol::lol:

Keep the steering steady to the right....and lift gently off the throttle or dont lift all.... soon the rear wheels will hit the bit of ice and you will oversteer as well....and then may god be with you... :scare: or B)

at work i take my 350 on the skid pan, simulates ice, its really hard to explain, but you can either power into it to gain control, or coast, i been taught not to touch the brakes, but on a country lane i'm sure options are limited. on a skid pan theres both options avaiable.

when you go from a grippy bit to a bit of ice its really strange, as the car will just glide