Questions Re: the cubby and also Cubby facia adapter

rtbiscuit

I have my pioneer F500 bt to fit in the cubby, it is not much different to an LCD touch screen in size and thickness etc. i will put up dimensions later, but its 3 in the morning and the car is in the garage.

i have been having a look at the cubby, i haven't taken it out yet, but my original plan was to remove the box section, leave the lid attatched and make a new thinner box to mount the unit it.

but on closer inspection it looks like the lid is attatched to the box, so removing the box would loose the lid. ( its an 2006 prefacelift with the non retractable lid (just goes up and down))

can anyone who has dismantled their dash confirm this for me.

secondly, if this is correct, how have other people mounted screens in the cubby.

is there a facia adapter to fit in the cubby to make the fitting more flush.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, i want to make it look as OEM as possible, especially if i'm not going to be able to keep the lid to hide the unit behind.

right been doing some serching as it seems no one has any answers to my first questions.

i remember there being talk that the old 03 cubby only fitted in cars up to 04-05. and that they did not fit in an 2006.

mine is an 06, but does not have all the face lift parts in the dash, would it be the same as an 05 but registered later. and when they talk about the 06 cars are they referring to all 06 cars or just those that got the facelift interior.

secondly if the 03 cubby doesn't fit then the 06 satnav cubby was one with no lid on it. is it possible to order this part seperatly so i can use that adapter to fit my nav into.

my car reg seems to have put me in Zed Limbo, im bot sure if i'm classed as an 06, or a late plated 05, i'm definatly not a facelift car, and now i'm confused what to get.

gaurenteed if i order an 03 cubby with retractable lid it won't fit my car, but if i order the other one i bet that won't fit. i don't know which way to go with this especially as no one seems to remember how they fitted there screens into there cubbies.

My one with a flip up lid DOES have a removable "box" its just 2 screws...

Dash is easy to take apart, just remove the screws then pull forward from the top (removing the gauge link) and then see if you can see the screws...

There have only been 2 types of interior although in different colours...

If your prefacelift the 03 cubby with retractable lid will fit...

Photos at this juncture may help!

the box in mine is removable, but i think i will loose the lid if i take it off, as it looks like the lid is attatched to the box, or is this wrong?

On the older models, the back half of the box was removable. This is what they did to fit the Nav. So you'd have the front half of the box and the lid. Sounds like yours is all in one? When they fit the OEM nav to an 06 did that have a lid or was that the one with no lid? If it didnt have a lid, that might be why yours comes out as one, as it either had the full box or nothing, never the cubby with the back off. If that makes sense?

makes perfect sense, the only way to find out is to take it out and see what happens.

just not got round to doing it, can't be arsed to dismantle the interior at the mo. just been so cold.

i'm guessing its about a 10 min job to take it out.

cheers fiddy,

thats the big thing, i could really do with one to work on, without taking the original out of the car. and then just transplant it in when i'm ready.

once i remove mine i'll know what i'm dealing with and then should be able to take appropriate action. just got to get off my arse in order to do it.

might have a go this weekend.

• 3 months later...

have just gone and bought the retractable cubby from JDM performance, so will be fitting the F500bt into this.

I noticed on the website it seems to have a cable out of it and refers to a motorized mechanism, does this mean it could be set up to open when the car is turned on, if so, does anyone know how to do this?

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the same cubby limbo as you. My 08 Z has the sticky-out lid fixed to the box.

How are you getting on with the JDM retractable ?

Cheers

Stewart

Hi Stewart, welcome to the forum. Stick a post in the intro section so we can say Hi. :)

I am in the same cubby limbo as you. My 08 Z has the sticky-out lid fixed to the box.

How are you getting on with the JDM retractable ?

Cheers

Stewart

hasn't arrived yet, ordered it and got an email saying they had non in stock so woulld have to order it in from japan, should take about 2 weeks from day of ordering, and then how ever long to post from uk to me.

i think it should fit fine, but i think that it won't fit the facelift 350z. although mine is an 06 its technically an 05 that wasn't registered till 06 so i have the old style attatchemnts behind the cubby.

i think it changed for the updated version but i could be wrong, my friend ekona looked into it but aparently the fixings are different. maybe someone else could back that up?

Ah, it's rather irritating having to wait for your item to come from Japan before you can check it out.

OK your's on being pre facelift. I have been searching for any information or photos of what a facelift "non Nav" center console looks like from the back, but so far have drawn a blank.

More diggin required...

Cheers

Stewart

Ah, it's rather irritating having to wait for your item to come from Japan before you can check it out.

OK your's on being pre facelift. I have been searching for any information or photos of what a facelift "non Nav" center console looks like from the back, but so far have drawn a blank.

More diggin required...

Cheers

Stewart

i had the same problem drawn a complete blank for any kind of pictures.

i'm hoping mine is due at the end of this week.

i'll take pitures of the new item from the rear as a reference point as i won't get round to fitting it for a few weeks. with the pic of the new unit from behind you should be able to dismantle your own dash and see if it fits. will send you the measuremnt s between fixing points if that helps

That would be great, many thanks. I suspect that there will be rather a colour mismatch between the cubby cover, and the dash on my 08.

If the cover could be obtained separately then I would be tempted go ahead and make up a new box. I would do this in fiberglass, as I had some experience with it in the past with a kit car.

That way I wouldn't have to mess around with cutting to fit a display, and I could be sure that the fixings were in the right place, because I put them there.

Cheers

Stewart

if the cubby is a different colour which it may be with mine as well i am just going to send my dash off to paul at Dream customz how will skin it in a carbon fibre cloth. its not true carbon, but looks dam close.