engine management light

Flavius

Two months a go my light came on.I took the car back to wigan dealer who said it was a sensor in the exhaust.They said it was probably an anomily and re set it." weeks later it came on again.I returned and they said they fitted a new sensor...........yesterday it came on AGAIN :rant: ffs!!

anybody else had this type of problem and how was it solved? not happy.[/b]

get yourself and odbII (2) sensor reader off ebay, I dont have the link at the minute but will post later

I paid 20 quid for mine from the USA and it works a treat, you can then see the codes yourself - look it up and then take it in knowing full well what the car is reporting and thus should help you get it fixed

if you are near swindon/bristol I can come and use mine if you like

for those interested.i was told the 350z often reports fault to rear sensors for the oxygen mixture in the exhaust when in fact it is the front sensors :wacko: So..............by monday i will have had 4 new sensors!! :p

Jacko

i work in bolton and live in whitefield.

car was bought 3 months ago and is a sunburst.53

apart from GT pack only mod is the nissan air freshner at the moment :p

Ah not far from me at all then. I live just off M66 J2, but go past whitefield every day, as commute back and forth down the M60.

Keep your eye out for a azure Gt then, KE54 plate. That be me! :D

Jacko

i work in bolton and live in whitefield.

car was bought 3 months ago and is a sunburst.53

apart from GT pack only mod is the nissan air freshner at the moment :p

Ah not far from me at all then. I live just off M66 J2, but go past whitefield every day, as commute back and forth down the M60.

Keep your eye out for a azure Gt then, KE54 plate. That be me! :D

And me - Azure MJ54 plate, I work in Bolton too!!! :D

go a little further up the M61 to Chorley Nissan (Chorey) they're pretty good.

My MI light came on a month or so back, and I got a clue as to how to read the code myself from here. (strange process involving a stopwatch and a heavy right foot)

Turned out to be a sensor glitch but they swapped straight away. Mine turned out to be 02 sensor, of which there appeared to be at least two of the things :)

• 3 years later...

Help I am a new member. Today I have just bought a 2003 import 350Z 45,000miles. Having driven it home 60 miles all okay till I took it out for a ride and the engine management light has come on solid and I can detect a slight misfire at idle. Drives fine and seems to run okay under load. any ideas? I am hoping its an ignition coil fault..does this sound possible? or a plug? if so where does one buy it from? or does anyone have other thoughts? How do I reset the light? please help I am so dissapointed. Thank you Nick

Thank you Mike for pointing me to the reset information.

Eventually managed to get it reset (its not so easy) Run well today driving around no probelms and the light has stayed out ..so far, however at idle I think I can hear the odd misfire. Once off idle all fine and in fact it runs real nice. I'll use to commute to work in the week and see what happens with the view to change the plugs and maybe see if I can find what else is wrong by using a code reader (from ebay)......... Fingers crossed and I'll post progress.

Eventually managed to get it reset (its not so easy) Run well today driving around no probelms and the light has stayed out ..so far, however at idle I think I can hear the odd misfire. Once off idle all fine and in fact it runs real nice. I'll use to commute to work in the week and see what happens with the view to change the plugs and maybe see if I can find what else is wrong by using a code reader (from ebay)......... Fingers crossed and I'll post progress.

you shouldn't be getting any misfire so perhaps a issue is on the horizon, something like a sensor. Also worth checking if its earthing ok, Some members have put grounding kits on with improved running.

Good to see there are few members in my area. I've got a GM zed and live near whitefield. I'll keep an eye out for you all but i must say i don't see that many about.

I would also suggest you try Nissan Chorley they have been very helpful. I had the MI light come on in mine the other month and an intermittent misfire. They swapped the coil pack from the offending cylinder with another cylinder to try an isolate the problem but it's not occurred since! They did all that for free though which i was impressed by.

good luck fixing the fault hope you get to the bottom of it.

Chris.

Hello Chris

Yes Ive had the car a day and have found it well good apart from this scare, however I am begining to feel I am not alone and am hoping its to do with plugs or coils as at least I feel I can deal with that! Fingers crossed. My other cars are all 85 years old so they are much easier to work with ...magneto ignition, hand start etc....

Take care

Nick

• 1 month later...

Just to update now a month has past and 2000 miles. So with the aircon on the idle is 95% better in fact acceptable, but after a long, say 5 minute idle (Cambridge traffic is real bad!) it starts to drop a bit but no missfire. So, although I changed the plugs and checked out the earthing etc I probably made no difference.. Just turn on the aircon. No reoccurance of the engine management light either. I get the impression this is quite common and wonder what it would take to increase the idle setting so that its say 600 rpm without aircon and 800 with? Oh well just one of those things..but I have to say the Z is running sweet and I am getting 28 mpg overall ( I normally push it the last 2 miles home to help the economy and it mostly down hill!

Nick

are you running with the AC on or off. Engine tickover is not that smooth with the aircon off. Always run mine with the Ac on