My big fat install!

RussMan

Hi All,

Looking to share my major upgrade to the 350z audio installation.

Firstly i have a 2007 Irish 350z with Factory BOSE installed.

I have started the physical build of the housing for the 7 x Sub's and completely stripped out the rear plastics + misc items to get measured up for the enclosure. i come from an IT background and know very little about audio installs but plan on picking it up as i go.

I have loads of questions and hope that someone will be able to help.

1) Required - 7 x 8" subs - (Any brand recommendations / product?)

2) Appropriate Amplifier to power 7 subs (Will this power the speakers based on questions 3 and 4)

3) Advise on whether to replace / upgrade or remove speakers behind seats?

4) Advise on whether to replace / upgrade or remove door speakers.

5) Headunit advise - looking for DVD touchscreen with pre-amps (possibly sat nav) mp3 / IPOD interface etc. I've just got a new parrot car kit with IPOD connevtivity that doesn't interface with the BOSE so hoping to reuse with new headunit. (its the parrot nki9100)

I would also really lick to retain the steering wheel controls if possible.

6) Battery upgrade - should this be required and what should i buy?

7) Sound deadning - Dynamat comes to mind but can i buy this in bulk in the UK or perhaps someone might know somewhere in the Ireland?

8) Wiring and cooling for the amp - i plan on mounting a number of fans to cool the amp but not sure what way would be best for air circulation, i'll post a diagram of this along with the box unit i'm getting built.

I plan on basing my design and end result on this masterpiece.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/audio-builds-496/261867-nitrouzs-project-alyssa-audio-portion-complete-crappy-pics-inside.html

I will keep this thread updated regularly and would appreciate any help you can provide and comments on my upcoming work.

I hope to have to build completed by the end of January at the latest.

Happy new year

Russ

7 subs based on the design on the link i posted.

My friend is a boat builder and excellent craftsman so he's replicating a similar box and i just need to upskill on the hardware side of things as the unit will be ready friday week.. Any suggestions?:headhurt:

Thanks gixxeruk.... budget is fairly open ended will just have to see how it goes.

I'm thinking i might even go with 10" subs and have 4 of them - just thinking of getting deeper bass but apparently 7 of the 6.5's works well in the finished application.

Just a quick question - why 7x 8 inch subs. I know they should give a 'cleaner' punch but as stated in the thread you posted, they sound like a pair of 10 or 12 inch subs.

Only reason I ask is that you should be able to get a deeper bass (i think) from larger woofers and I would also assume that the whole project would cost less and be less time consuming.

One thing I will admit though is the 7x8 inch does have an awesome BLING factor :teeth:

I would look at products and base a design around that. Also choose equipment that suits your musical taste.

I think Rob (H5 on here) has created an amazing install using minimal components but they are all VERY well chosen. It's award winning too!

Ians16 - Its a bit for the bling factor as well i must agree.:teeth:

My musical taste is all over the place thus the idea of 2 large subs didn't appeal to me as much as the multiple 6.5" or 8" options. I'm awaiting quotes from Elemental Desgins which may ultimately change my decision. I want the unit to light up in a similar way and be something to look at as well as hear whilst maintaining an element of stealth :)

1) Required - 7 x 8" subs - (Any brand recommendations / product?)

2) Appropriate Amplifier to power 7 subs (Will this power the speakers based on questions 3 and 4)

3) Advise on whether to replace / upgrade or remove speakers behind seats?

4) Advise on whether to replace / upgrade or remove door speakers.

5) Headunit advise - looking for DVD touchscreen with pre-amps (possibly sat nav) mp3 / IPOD interface etc. I've just got a new parrot car kit with IPOD connevtivity that doesn't interface with the BOSE so hoping to reuse with new headunit. (its the parrot nki9100)

I Yowould also really lick to retain the steering wheel controls if possible.

6) Battery upgrade - should this be required and what should i buy?

7) Sound deadning - Dynamat comes to mind but can i buy this in bulk in the UK or perhaps someone might know somewhere in the Ireland?

8) Wiring and cooling for the amp - i plan on mounting a number of fans to cool the amp but not sure what way would be best for air circulation, i'll post a diagram of this along with the box unit i'm getting built.

I plan on basing my design and end result on this masterpiece.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/audio-builds-496/261867-nitrouzs-project-alyssa-audio-portion-complete-crappy-pics-inside.html

I will keep this thread updated regularly and would appreciate any help you can provide and comments on my upcoming work.

I hope to have to build completed by the end of January at the latest.

Happy new year

Russ

1/2) I would not do 7 subs - The budget on the linked install is VERY big - Whats yours? IMO I would go for a single high quality amp & sub.

3) With decent front stage and subs in the back IMO don't waste your money upgrading the rear speakers just disconnect them

4) Door speaker upgrades are a MUST if you are putting in amps/subs if you want a balanced system. Likes of JL 3-ways, Focals etc.

5) Head Unit - I would go for one of the newer Alpine models i.e. W502 or maybe the Kenwoods too. (Avoid Panasonic as they are closing up in the european car audio industry)

6) Handy to do as the stock one is not great.

7) Dynamat does not have great margins so even buying in bulk does not save you that much. Do a search for sound deadening and get reading. Lots of options.

8) Get over to www.talkaudio.co.uk - very knowledgable about whats on offer.

As you say you don't know much about installs - no of subs != better. You will often find the best systems out there are the simple but high quality ones. Might be worth getting to a meet to see what sort of sounds you can get.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

I'll get looking into what you have mentioned.

As i like the idea of a number of subs and the overal look and feel of the project which was completed my 'simplicity' i'll be trying to stick as close to this design as possible.

I have in my head to spend 3k euro but budget is flexible and the install work / carpentry and most supplies for construction is free.

Appreciate the comments,

Russ

I haven't done ice for a while but you can spend a lot on cabling etc too.

Running that number of subs you'll need a few amps. Also, not sure on prices of subs these days but I don't think you'll get quality at that price...

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

I'll get looking into what you have mentioned.

As i like the idea of a number of subs and the overal look and feel of the project which was completed my 'simplicity' i'll be trying to stick as close to this design as possible.

I have in my head to spend 3k euro but budget is flexible and the install work / carpentry and most supplies for construction is free.

Appreciate the comments,

Russ

Sounds like you would come up quite short on that install. The amount of work that work put into that install (there are pics on that forum) You would be looking much closer to 5-7K at least for an install of that quality.

Hi there. Apart from the pictures you've seen on my350z, is there a real desire for 7 x 8" subs? If it's been done and budget is open ended, I would say do something completely new....

If you're going with that many subs, all it is likely to do is play one small range of frequencies very loudly. And 8" subs (with maybe the exception of the JL W7) don't shift enough air to give you the lower reaches of bass at the required volume / accuracy.

I would invest the money in doing something trick up front, and get it sounding good. Then once you have chosen that, the making it bling is a lot easier. Considering you sit at the front, why put 80% of your budget in the furthest part of the car from you?? :)

My install is a stealth one this time round, and I think it sounds good. It's picked up a trophy in year one and a few members on here seem to like the sound too (which is nice!) and only uses one 10" sub and a pair of front speakers. And it can smash your head to bits if it needs to! :D

Seriously look at the budget and remember the car needs a lot more than equipment. You will need soundproofing and decent cabling. This WILL make a HUGE difference. You can spend £50 on a pair of speakers and install them well and they will embarrass a pair of £200 speakers badly installed.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers for all the comments, i'll take them all on board as i am ultimately looking for something that sounds great as well. I've decided on the headunit which is a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT. Plenty of features to keep me interested up front and good price. If anyone knows anything bad about these let me know before the 4th January please.

Waiting now on the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT. Should be with me within the next couple of days.

In the mean time just wondering doesn anyone know the state of affairs behind the Factory bose as my bose is slightly different to the one in my last Z, slight facelift but not sure on anything technical thats changed.

Question 1) Is their an ISO connection behind the BOSE?

Question 2) Is my only option to buy a PAC if i want to use the new headunit while deciding on my new sub /amp package?

Thanks

Russ

Hi,

Just a quick update.

Received the head unit yesterday so began removal of BOSE system.

Ended up being quite tricky as i found the plug connectors were a bit of a b*tch to get off.

I'll attach a few photo's.

As suspected no ISO connectors on the audio loom, just three BOSE generic plug connectors.

As i am waiting for the sound deadening material to arrive and would like some tunes for the next week or two i want to buy an adapter to get me up and running.

Can somebody advise me where i can purchase this with the hope of getting it asap?

Apologise about the crap photo's but they are from my phone and i've had to resize them so i could attach to this post

Thanks

Russ