induction kits... are they worth it?

MattOak

Mostly sound and slightly improved throttle response - good old ECU cancels everything else out. Obviously if you go for a plenum and induction kit then have the ECU re-mapped there will be good gains to be had

Ok... so induction kits help throw more clean air into the engine (So I believe). But the ECU cancels this because of the censors etc... (So I believe). But whats the 'plenum' for?

Am I correct induction kit around £150, but how much approx for ecu remap and this plenum?

What are all the pros and cons of this type of setup? Cheers guys :teeth:

The filtration of the air through a standard filter and an induction kit will be approximately the same. The theoretical gains with an induction kit are cooler (more dense) air and / or better flow of air into the plenum (air chamber on top of the cylinders). The argument is that the ECU should keep the the fuel : air ratio the same - if there is more air, then there will be more fuel so a bigger explosion, so more power.

The plenum is the air chamber the air flows into before the air goes into the cylinders. The plenum needs to allow good air flow for a reliable performance.

An ECU remap is something that hasn't been done too many times here on a N/A application. There are such small gains to be had it is rarely worth it for the money. For the pggyback / new ECU you're looking at £5-600 IIRC, and another £200 odd for a plenum chamber (Kinetix or similar).

Gains? Thick end of naff all generally.

Sound? Awesome

Looks? You choose

Hope this helps :)

Most for noise and tests have shown the stock one gives better performance numbers.... But I still have a K&N Typhoon cuase its shiny and has some carbon!

Plenum is the bit grey think on the top of the engine (!), plenum spacer is the gasket that lifts this to give better airflow to all 6 cylinders instead of 4....

ECU remap is only worth it when you have done everything... Piggyback ECUs can be got for about £650 - £750 with tuning time and dyno. These can then be remapped when you make other changes.

Click the search button as most of these questions have already been answered!

And this is a K&N Typhoon with out the cover (And some other bits you may have heard of and wonder what they are and where they go)

Untitled-3.jpg

and with the airbox and cover

DSC01184.jpg

Am sure I Ian will be along soon with his setup!!

And this is me and my dog (The dogs the one on top!)

DSC00081.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Thats really helpful, cheers!

Not too sure if I'll bother with the induction kit. Sounds like I'm making noise and spending £££, with theoretical less performance :(

They do look nice in these pics though.

Might just get a poodle and supercharge it to 500barks per hour