Genuine MPG? please

sammysamsam

I've had my coupe about 8 weeks now (but can't see you loosing more than 1 or 2mpg). Done 2200 miles with a mixture of dual carriage way/motorway (try to cruise but very hard from every set of lights not to gun it! ;) ) and then thrash the tits off it at the weekends......

and I've averaged 25.2mpg over that time....... B)

I tend to average about 20 between fill ups, but do a lot of town driving. I have seen it drop to 3.8 (yes 3.8) sat in traffic not long after startup in winter though. Pretty decent on the motorway.

At the end of the day its a 3.5 so its never gonna be frugal! And also it very much depends on how you drive it, all too tempting to gun it :D

Oh and :welcome: btw!!!

I get 26 to 27 mpg mostly. Never been much below this. Remember that even though it's a 3.5, it is modern engine, so as such is quite economical. Also doesn't have the potential for super low mpg like most turbo engines, aka Evos' and Impreza's, (I've had an Impreza and own a Cossie)... :D

If your worried about MPG you're buying the wrong car.

What will your average yearly milage be ?

15k pa 30mpg = 500 gallon = £ 2250

15k pa 25mpg = 600 gallon = £ 2700

15k pa 20mpg = 750 gallon = £ 3375

15k pa 45mpg diesel rep mobile = 333 gallon = £ 1500 = :bang:

on a drive back from the seaside last year i got 32.6mpg mainly twisty a/b roads, was being careful as i was nearly outta petrol and didn't know where the next station was lol :teeth:

Driving kinda normal not being too careful with the fuel sees me get between 23.5-24.0mpg.

I always let the trip computer go for a few thousand miles so have never checked and specific type of journey but any steady legal motorway speed or A road trips normally see the average creep up.

Just got a 35 mpg running from Leicester to Southampton (including the A43 full of round abouts!). I decided I wasn't in a hurry and there were too many flat cap, Sunday drivers about anyway, so set the cruise control to 73 to see what I got. I was running on 97 RON BP Ultimate (£1.04!?! I needed an urgent fill - a bit dear up north!). I usually use Tesco 99 though and I think I get 2 mpg more out of that. On a side note, I was *still* over taking people at that speed - why do some people insist on doing under 60 on a dual carriage way?! IMO, it's just as dangerous as someone speeding and there is no need... *end rant lol*

On another note, on the way up there I went for the other extreme and went for a speed record. An average speed on 77 mph and lots of clear roads (90 ish mostly; I try not to be too silly) and still got 25 mpg. About 1 hour 50 mins for 140 odd miles btw hehe!

Though that may be interesting to some anyway :thumbs:

Oh and if it helps, you don't HAVE to run it on super unleaded, just that its recommended.

If you run on normal unleaded you loose 15bhp thats all....... so can be a bit cheaper that way if you wanted to?

Yeah its an interesting one that one, the additional cost of Super unleaded versus the additional miles that you get......

I'm not sure you get that many more, but guess depends on type of driving and style etc.....

But a good point none the less that I missed to mention.... :D

Guest prescience

Personally I wouldn't recommend running on less than 98 RON if you hav access to it (and I know some of the Irish guys don't). Sure the ECU will probably compensate but you do run the risk of running lean with some mild detonation which over time, could cause a problem.

If you can get 98 use it - anything else is a false economy and if you are that marginal on cost ...

I agree... I did do some (pretty unscientific) testing with standard 95 vs Tesco 99 when I was doing a fair bit of town driving a while back. I ended up getting 19.5 with 95 RON and about 21 with 99 RON. So, that's about 7-8% better and that probably matches the cost difference (may even save some).

Sure, it may not be the case all the time, but then you're being better to the engine, getting more power when you need it and not spending any more, it's pretty cool. If you believe the marketting hype, you're saving the planet using Tesco 99 too! I think you'd be better off with a Prius for the latter though! ;):yahoo:

I give in, :surrender: i didnt understand a word of that. What does RON and 95 and 98 mean. I guess its all about what petrol to use, sorry but im totally clueless having never had anything more than bangers. This is my dream car but i know nothing about running it, im desparate to learn which is why i joined this site. Any helps appreciated guys.

I give in, :surrender: i didnt understand a word of that. What does RON and 95 and 98 mean. I guess its all about what petrol to use, sorry but im totally clueless having never had anything more than bangers. This is my dream car but i know nothing about running it, im desparate to learn which is why i joined this site. Any helps appreciated guys.

Right I'll try and explain this simply, but I'm sure that if I get this wrong then someone will put me right.....

Basically the RON level, is the octane level of the petrol. A higher octane level petrol has a higher resistence to early combustion of the petrol in the stroke of the engine. Therefore typically it is a more efficiently burning fuel giving more power as long as the engine can take advantage of it.....

therefore in a zed, it can take advantage of a higher octane fuel and produce more power per ignition cycle and is typically more efficient with it....

( i think..... ;) )