Alloy wheel cleaning advice needed

IanS16

Cheers Muddy,

They are laquered but after speaking to 3FIDDYZ who has the same alloys, the laquer can deteriorate. (especially as the lanes i drive up and down on all day are just grit)

I'll def give them a good clean then i'll try the super resin. If that works i'll try the JetSEAL or Poorboys, depending on which one i find first :lol:

I'll take some before & after photos this weekend for you all :teeth:

Just gona stick my tupeneth in.

Please do not use T-cut or even Poorboys SSR1, a bit too harsh for chromed, chromed/laquered wheels.

As described above try a mild shampoo and use a lambswool mitt.

Try an ez-detail brush to get to the back of the rim. Motorgeek sells these (Best wheel brush in the world)

Also bag yourself an Swissvaz wheel brush - they cost about £6 and are the 2nd best brush in the world. You can use this brush for bodywork too in knooks and crannys.

If you find that the wheels are unlaquered I'd try Meguiars NXT metal polish first and then Autoglym metal polish. These are a little less aggressive than autosol. If these don't acheive the finish you want go onto Autosol. No point going to autosol first, scratching the surface and ruining your wheels.

If they are laquered I'd try polishing with Autoglym Super resin first, then I'd go with some meguirs stage 1 or stage 2 cleaner & polish if the super resin is no good. Don't want anything agressive, unless the wheels are in poor condition, which I would doubt.

For protection any sealant will do, but I can recommend Poorboys wheel sealant or chemical guys whel guard. Both excellent :thumbs:

Hope this helps.

ex- pro detailer :teeth:

So speaks the master! :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

I believe they are annodised as per majority of the RAY's split variety, BELGOM ALU is something I use on in particular for split rims, it's a good safe product with excellent sealent capabilities.

http://thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Belgom.html

Also do search on eBay there should be some sellers on there too selling the above product.

As already mentioned by (Muddy) Swisswax Wheel Brush an excellent brush, also their wheel clean another great product, it has no chemicals and in fact non of the Swisswax products do, very safe.

To endorse (H5's) comment, please, please do not use acidic wheel cleaner on any alloy wheel, regular cleaning with warm soapy water should be plenty, with the odd treatment of some sealent wax, especially this time of the year.

My standard RAYS have covered 19k now in 15 months and they still come up mint as they were day one, mostly thanks to their build quality/finish. My Bronze TE37's on the last car were a different ball game as again they're an annodised finish too and I made the mistake of running them through one winter, the salt managed to etch it's mark on the lips, took a long haul of oil treatment to reduce the damage, never again.

Kind of. Gave the car a proper wash today and took about an hour on one of the front alloys. The speckles were coming off but they are going to have to come off the car and be given a real scrub.

Looks a bit stupid with one cleaner alloy but I ran out of time! I think they should be summer alloys only really but I haven't got the £££ to get another set and we never have a summer anyway! I may pop down to see you soon anyway so you can let me know what you think then :D

Thanks to everyone else for the help too!

Kind of. Gave the car a proper wash today and took about an hour on one of the front alloys. The speckles were coming off but they are going to have to come off the car and be given a real scrub.

Looks a bit stupid with one cleaner alloy but I ran out of time! I think they should be summer alloys only really but I haven't got the £££ to get another set and we never have a summer anyway! I may pop down to see you soon anyway so you can let me know what you think then :D

Nice one mate, I’m sure you’ll get them back into A1 condition again… :):thumbs:

You’re always welcome to come over bud… :thumbs:

My Volk SF Challenge would develop hard to remove 'speckles'. As these speckles got worse and worse with age i realised what was going on. Small stones/grit gets inside the deep dishes and bounces around, putting very small chips and punctures into the lacquer. Salt, dirt, brake dust etc gets into the small punctures and gets under the lacquer (well it's not a lacquer on Volks in a form of ceramic coating) and you end up with a right ol' mess - long story short, i'm trying to strip off the anodising and repolish my lips because they were ruined!

Do yourself a favour and only use your Volks in the summer!

Well that's a b*st*rd!

I think it's too late now anyway. As I said I'll have to give them another go, I don't think they are chipped though thankfully. Any idea on the price of a new set anyone? Haven't really seen many sets around

Well that's a b*st*rd!

I think it's too late now anyway. As I said I'll have to give them another go, I don't think they are chipped though thankfully. Any idea on the price of a new set anyone? Haven't really seen many sets around

Just a refurb will refresh them!

I think Volks are very well known for lasting a year if your lucky! Summer use only you'll be lucky to get two!

Only the ones with polished lips though. Ive had mine on for 2 winters & are still perfect (Apart from the curbing on one wheel :blush: )