WINTER PROJECT: HOW TO MAKE A 600 BHP Z RUN COOLER

ZMANALEX

Yet another winter project, but this time it definately will be the last on my Roadster

As most of you will know even though I am running 600 bhp there has always been a temperature issue whilst on track when really pushing on.

I was just going to live with this as it is a common problem, but most do not push on as much as I do so I decided to find a fix.

The easy fix is to turn the boost down to a maximum of 1 bar as this will cure most of the heat soak from the turbos which is the main culprit.

I wanted more boost, more power and more torque but unfortunately I found that I could not live with this because after around 10 laps the Z and I was just getting on song and it was disappointing to have to come in and cool down.

So my last performance upgrade on the Roadster is to make the engine run cooler.

All the usual stuff has been done and most of the upgrades have all helped a little bit, in all I think that I may have carried out more than 25 modifications on the cooling issue.

Extreme power and extreme torque requires extreme measures. No disrespect to Nissan as the VQ 35 was not designed for 600bhp.

Therefore my final upgrades will be to the coolant issues which will make this the most complete 350Z in the U.K

So this is the plan:

I will not be running with water as coolant, I will run with Evans Coolant which has a boiling point of 275 degrees F.

It is not the temperature that causes running hot issues or causes damage, it is that when water boils it produces bubbles which results in hot spots and this is the issue that you will not have with Evans.

I am in the middle of machining out my heads to open up the rear coolant ports which will allow proper venting between the heads and then I am also fitting a Rear Coolant By Pass Kit from my good friend Sharif at Forged.

Click on this link for image:

http://www.forgedinternals.com/store/pr ... 316&page=1

Reduced: 50% of original size [ 1024 x 768 ] - Click to view full image

Once this is all done then I would consider that I will have the most complete and most powerfull endurance Road and Track Roadster Z in the U.K or according my to my mappers "No other Z would get close"

--------------------

Reduced: 87% of original size [ 584 x 67 ] - Click to view full image

I'm sure myself and Jayne will be willing to see how the cooling issues come along next year.

This will be very interesting for anyone else in the world that wants to run a big BHP track Zed.

That's a fair project! I hope you get on well at the mappers too.....

I'm sure myself and Jayne will be willing to see how the cooling issues come along next year.

This will be very interesting for anyone else in the world that wants to run a big BHP track Zed.

Cheers Stew,

Yeah, this will make a huge difference to the amont of time that I can stay out on track.

Remember that the the Vpro dials the ignition back in when it gets a bit warm so the power does drop off.

I am sure that Jayne will be happy with the outcome. :)

Pencil in early March to your diary. :teeth:

It has been a major project getting the temp down.

It's something that we can't comprehend, even the TT cars running on standard internals aren't going to be running that hot.

I fortunate to say I've done some quick laps as a passanger with Alex and the car gets a real punishment. It is a proper racer with Alex at the wheel and everything else is sorted for running loads of laps without coming in.

The car is absolutely function over form and no compromises have been made.

This really is the last piece of the puzzle and I'm excited to see the results.

Cheers Stew,

Yeah, this will make a huge difference to the amont of time that I can stay out on track.

Remember that the the Vpro dials the ignition back in when it gets a bit warm so the power does drop off.

I am sure that Jayne will be happy with the outcome. :)

Pencil in early March to your diary. :teeth:

Penciled! ;)

Interesting stuff Alex.

275F gives you about 135C boiling point, so how much will that give you in real terms on the track?

Chris, not quite sure what the temp read out will be on track with the upgrades and running purely on Evans.

At the moment my Defi read out is around 110C after approx 10 very quick laps around Knockhill.

I have no such issues at the Ring as it is not so demanding on the car.

Once this is all done then I would consider that I will have the most complete and most powerfull endurance Road and Track Roadster Z in the U.K or according my to my mappers "No other Z would get close"

that's a bold statement, I like your style! :)

How about that stroked HKS Zed? Was it Advanced Motorsport and Engineering, the guys who plugged the racelogic traction control? I think that runs more power than you do... also how about the blue zed that I've seen around here too?

BHP sells cars, Torque wins races :)

I did quote "R0AD AND TRACK ROADSTER" ;)

But no matter how fast and powerfull your car is, there is always someone faster :)

How about that stroked HKS Zed? Was it Advanced Motorsport and Engineering, the guys who plugged the racelogic traction control? I think that runs more power than you do... also how about the blue zed that I've seen around here too?

But no matter how fast and powerfull your car is, there is always someone faster :)

I believe the 4.2TT zed has an issue with over heating when driven on the limit for too long. Not sure if anyone else has solved this issue?

I believe the 4.2TT zed has an issue with over heating when driven on the limit for too long. Not sure if anyone else has solved this issue?

As Alex says, the particular demands that Knockhill places on any highly tuned car there will test the cooling more than many other other circuits - Knockhill doen't have the level straights to give some relief to engine cooling. I am sure if Alex conquers the cooling isuse there he will have have full justification for his claim :)