Crunchy gearboxes!!

HT

An old chestnut, I know! I have a 53 plate 350 with 10,000 miles on the clock, which I've had for just over a month. With the recent cold weather I've noticed that it's much harder to engage 2nd gear & sometimes requires a double-clutch. It will also sometimes grind slightly. Its also noticable in 3rd, but to a much lesser extent. Once driven 10-20 miles and everythings warmed up it's not nearly as bad and is generally smooth & crunch-free. Does this sound like worn synchro's or is this to be expected at low temperatures, even with such a low milage? I can live with it, but if it's a serious problem then I need to get something done about it sooner rather than later.

The car has never been raced and appears to have been well looked after by the previous owner and is currently covered by a Nissan warranty.

Any help & advice will be very gratefully recieved!

Mine does that too but on 2nd to 3rd. Makes you look like a right idiot though as if you can't change gear :dry:

Also the gears just seem stiffer when cold. Weird though, I've never had it on any other car, just a 06 plate focus that doesnt go into reverse properly!

Pingu2- you probably dont notice it because there are no teeth left on the gear :lol:

I find 1st to 2nd less co-operative in the cold too. No griding or crunching though. Just take it easy for the first few minutes til the oil is warm.

Also a 53 reg with only 10k miles?! Did that lay unused for a few years?! :headhurt:

Mine does that too but on 2nd to 3rd. Makes you look like a right idiot though as if you can't change gear :dry:

Also the gears just seem stiffer when cold. Weird though, I've never had it on any other car, just a 06 plate focus that doesnt go into reverse properly!

Pingu2- you probably dont notice it because there are no teeth left on the gear :lol:

could be right you know :drive1

i took mine back to nissan 3times over it, they changed the oil, then the oil again with synchros then 3rd time lucky put a brand new box, clutch and flywheel in it under warranty. Its still as it was before but atleast i know the drivetrain will be all good for a good few miles :thumbs:

So talking from experience i probably wouldnt worry about it, you will just end up driving a micra or note for a month :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for all the help & suggestions!! Have found the best solution, as advised, is to shift from 1st to 3rd for the first few miles until the gearbox oil has warmed up a bit. Get some funny looks though, when you're taking it very steady & accelerating slower than a micra! Meantime, will keep an eye on it & if it worsens or its still a problem when the weather warms up I'll take it back to the dealers & get it sorted under warranty.

Cheers, H

Mine is an 08 and was a bit stiff from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 5th to 6th at first...when warm good when hot excellent.... however, after 12000miles all seem ok....even on icy mornings 2nd is as easy all others... :)

i always let the engine run for more than a minute before setting off from cold tho... :teeth:

and if you guys here think your second gear is a bit notchy.... try a maserati gearbox... they say 0-60 4.9 secs... from that time 2 secs are only for changing to second gear.... :lol::lol::lol:

and it doesnt get any better when warm... :rant:

and its absolutely normal according to the factory....no way to fix it... :lol:

Nice one!! Was going to ask if anyone HAS got a gearbox that shifts smoothly & cleanly through every gear and in all temperatures! Sounds like its entirely down to the luck of the draw, some good un's & some not-so-good un's. Has anyone had a total gearbox failure by the way, under normal driving conditions??