nikon D40 anyone using ?

GIXXERUK

I've had one for a year now. Its about £70 cheaper than I pad last year.

I like it, I still have not learnt how to get perfect pictures on most of the settings, I seem to delete more than I save but I get the odd few which are brilliant. But this is more down to me being incompetent rather than the camera :blush:

Yup, good little camera.

Dont be dragged into the more megapixel is better debate. 6.1MP is more than enough with good lenses, you'll be taking better pics than guys with 10MP cameras with poor lenses. B) 6MP will allow you to easily print upto A3 sizes I would say with no real loss of quality. Bigger MP cameras are really designed for much much bigger prints.

Dont be dragged into the more megapixel is better debate. 6.1MP is more than enough with good lenses

+1 Strongly agree on that one - when are you ever going to print that picture full size! i.e about the size of your wall!!

Go for it - supposed to be a good camera :)

I've got one, its awsome (i'm not though and thats my problem) google for D40 user guide and there is an american photographer who has done a really good guide to show you how to set it up etc.

On another note, i've only got the 18-55mm lense. What's the best budget bigger lense i should buy?? i mosty use it for car shows and rallys and some times at the ice hockey.

STOO

On another note, i've only got the 18-55mm lense. What's the best budget bigger lense i should buy?? i mosty use it for car shows and rallys and some times at the ice hockey.

The standard kit lenses are generally good but limited sometimes in scope. Get yourself a cheeky little 75-300mm Zoom (If Nikon do that range?) gives you more flexibilty. For Ice hockey you can use that long lense and get the speed /motion effect action quite nicely? I guess its got a sport mode, or just lower shutter setting to get the effect of movement. :thumbs:

Try to stick with the manufacturers lenses they will cost a fortune but are generally better quality than aftermarket? :)