Need to find a good oil burner...

gangzoom

My other half's on the hunt for a new car, budget is around £15K.. unfortunately she wants a diesel...however the last diesel i drove was a clapped out 306, and it didn't leave me with the greatest impression :wacko:

Any one got any suggestions....has to be newish and practical (to keep her happy), and preferably good to drive (mainly to keep me happy :D)

I like torquey diesels (there, I said it :lol: ), apart from the smell and sound ;)

My 2p's worth:

BMW 120d M-Sport or 3 series, preferably the 330cd which has the M-Sport bits on it.

Any diesel from the VAG group should keep you happy as long as it's one of the bigger output ones (170bhp I think.)

Chipping turbo diesels gives great results too.

My money would be on one of the Beemers :drive1

Leeroy.

• 2 weeks later...

i had the civic 2.2 Type S GT

all the trimmings of an r type, but diesel power, and if you get it remapped it has nearly 190 bhp.

i liked it, but wanted sportier once my milage got slashed. hence the 350z

its abit like marmite some like and some don't, but do see alot around so must be doing something right.

also liked the 120D interior is abit plain but then it has the rear wheel advantage.

i liked the diesel tourque, especially when doing big milage. could put your foot down in 6th at 70 to overtake and it would just go, no need to down change.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 2004 530d se (euro4 engine smoke free exhaust etc etc) .. it was a great car... 15k can pick you up one of those.. choose the engine wisely, the non euro4's smoke like a malboro test beagle....

I also tested 2 mercs.. the E220cdi and the e320cdi merc.. they were good and well made .. Merc's have taken a beating on quality but they are still pretty good..

and final Aga recommendation is a mondeo tdci 2.2 platinum.. i hired one of these and it was pretty good.. really it was

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

My sensible car is a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI think its approx 140Bhp. Never ever thought i'd say it, but it is an excellent car, good handling for a diesel, very comfortable on long drives, pulls quite well, titanium pack so stereo etc is reasonably good. My wife gets 54mpg on average, if I cane it, I get 45mpg ish. Maybe a bit boring to look at, but I would recommend it.