Help after installing K&N typhoon - low idle

NWZ

Hi All,

Installed my K&N cai tonight, it was a bit of a pain to fit but worth it I reckon.

Started car after install - all fine, no engine light on - Took the car out for a spin great, sounds fantastic. Went back home.

About 15 mins later had to go back out, started car then it stalled. Started again and the idling was about 800rpm. The idling previously was around 1-1200rpm. I also noticed the average fuel mpg as 15mpg, now I know I gave it some beans but that doesn't seem right.

I checked all pipes and hoses and they are fine and nothing has moved.

Should I do an ECU reset - anybody experienced this problem?

I spoke to 3FiddyZ who recommended an ecu reset but just wanted to see if anybody can comment - thanks...Mark.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative lead was disconnected for 5 hours today, yes I was slow but took my time ! Surely that would have reset the ecu, or maybe I am panicking as the ecu is still learning?

Anyway, ecu reset it'll have to be - not going back out mrs will kill me....

The other thing you could do instead of a ECU reset is leave the battery disconnected tonight and start her in the morning? Remember your alarm wont set and you will have to lock with the key~!!

Works like an ECU reset!

Sorry but it doesn't, you need to carry out the ECU reset proceedure.

I had this problem after I fitted my plenum spacer.

I had a mifire too.

After I had the throttle body cleaned out, all was well though and running better than ever. (Untill I smashed her into a tree)

Yes my TB was full of crap so gave its a good clean with some wynns awell havent driven with anger yet but will let know know. The other think I noticed is that the pipe of the plenum chamber is incredably rough, anyone tried smoothing this?

Plus ECU reset is a pain to get the timings right ... think mine took me about 11 attempts so if it doesnt work first time, keep going :teeth:

ecu reset made no change even after some 70 miles in the bala run. Will install the scoop this weekend - thanks all for your help.

Hey mate, as I said at Bala, I get this too with my popcharger. I think either my idle needs adjusting up a bit or as the others have said, needs a scoop. Will be interesting to see how you get on :thumbs: Mine is fine when cold, but the idle is too low when warm.

Done all the resets ecu reset, throttle reset, accelerator reset, idle air volume reset and still no change. So this weekend will be the scoop & intake install to the K&N filter - watch this space. I may take the MAF out and give it a clean as well.

Just spoken to K&N in Warrington (very helpful actually) they said the cold air intake pipe must be installed as this will help draw in cold air when the car is warm. They said that the intake is feeding too much hot air which doesn't have as much oxygen in it and the cold air feed will assist this.

Seems to make sense to me!:)

Isn't the set up you have at the moment the same as a pop chrager though ie.. cone and shield? I've never had this problem with the popcharger.

What does you car idle at when warm Mike? I have a feeling its just a case of the idle being too low. It happens with my pop charger, but sometimes it saves itself, sometimes it stalls. If you tap the throttle a tiny amount when it starts to drop it doesnt stall. Need to check what mine idles at, but would be interesting to see what yours is at.

Mine has done it since I have had the pop charger. Since installing it its had a service which included plugs.

Are you running plenum spacers?

Revs seem to be the same as mine. I just stalls sometimes after the car starts and blips the throttle itself, the revs drop too far, say to around 500 revs then it either saves itself or dies. No other issues with it :wacko:

A/C on.

Did the ECU reset. Seemed to work for one start and then it just stalls on subsequent starts. Tried to do the throttle pos reset and idle air reset and they seemed to do their thing, but still when you start it, the idle blips, and when it drops, it drops too far. If you catch it on the way down and tap the throttle it stops dropping and contiues to run as normal.

Its weird. I think it might be an air leak somewhere, or god forbit a knackered MAF. I think if it was the MAF though, it would do it all the time and not just when it was warm. Might put my stock airbox on at the weekend and see if it still does it

:wacko: