Motorbike advice...

IanS

So I got my bike licence this summer. Loved the training, though it hasnt totally tempted me away from 4 wheels I would like to get one.

Problem is, dont really know what would suit my needs.

It must be cheap to insure as I have the Zed to run afterall, age 24 so low group very useful. Will be a used buy and the less I have to spend the better!

Wonder what the comparable bike would be to the Zed?

Any thoughts / advice appreciated

Cheers

I

My son got a Honda CBR600 for his first bike. This was after a biker friend of mine advised it was a good bike & would always be able to sell on in the future. He was totally right & my son loved it. Went on to buy a brand new CBR600R, which was even better for handling, and only let it go when he moved to America to work.

Wait till you're 25.

I got quotes on my bike the day before and the on the day I turned 25 and you wouldn't believe the difference! Try it out by changing your DOB on quotes.....

I bought a ZX-6R Ninja (the P7F model) this april for my first bike. It's got a very sporty stance and racey looking. It's certainly quick enough for me....... :teeth:

A lot of people said it was too fast for a first bike, maybe true however it's all in the right wrist. Nobody forces you to open the throttle all the way!

Have a look at what you like style wise and then try different bikes out. See what you like to ride!

Oh yeah, Lomoto will help you out a lot! It's his livelihood and he can advise you!

What you want to use the bike for?

Ian,

Ive rode a few bikes since i passed my test (well, all my mates have bikes - and its theres i have jumped on). anyhoo, from what i have given a go i will review for you. gsxr 750, very nice bike and very quick, but they are heavy, so for a new rider i wouldnt suggest it, unless its a new one, which they shrunk it a little, and its easier to control - but is costly. R6 - for a 600 its got 120bhp, in a straight line, nearly as quick as the gsxr 750 (well only to about a ton), unbelievable performance, and quite good handeling as well. Ninja (like stews), again quick bike, but not as good overall as the R6, in my opinion (sorry Stew!! - gorgeous bike though!!). Fireblade - great little bike, quite quick, but hasn't really got the "penache" (sp?) of the others.

I have a gorgeous grey Daytona 675 (sorry i have a thing for Triumph), cost me just under £6k (57) (you can pick a decent one up for around £4.5 to £5K now). I would say its the best bike i have riden out of the lot, It has really got unbelivable performance and is perfectly balanced, im not saying this because i have one - i have one, because i said this (if you get my drift). Personally for the money i would recommend this bike over all others, and every owner would too. Book time, its 3.36secs to 60, but its obviously down to the rider. Take one for a ride and decide yourself though. One thing i will warn you in advance about.... some of the early models can suffer from brake fade (bad batch of calipers) so if you are looking at getting one... test the brakes... hard!!

Either way, defo agree with lomoto, a 600 is right for a first bike, as Stew said you dont need to open it up until you are ready! and if you buy something below a 400 i'm pretty sure you will be upgrading soon(ish) - wasting money.

Ian,

Ive rode a few bikes since i passed my test (well, all my mates have bikes - and its theres i have jumped on). anyhoo, from what i have given a go i will review for you. gsxr 750, very nice bike and very quick, but they are heavy, so for a new rider i wouldnt suggest it, unless its a new one, which they shrunk it a little, and its easier to control - but is costly. R6 - for a 600 its got 120bhp, in a straight line, nearly as quick as the gsxr 750 (well only to about a ton), unbelievable performance, and quite good handeling as well. Ninja (like stews), again quick bike, but not as good overall as the R6, in my oppinion (sorry Stew!!). Fireblade - great little bike, quite quick, but hasn't really got the "penache" (sp?) of the others.

I have a Daytona 675, cost me just under £6k (57) (you can pick a decent one up for around £4.5 to £5K now). I would say its the best bike i have riden out of the lot, It has really got unbelivable performance and is perfectly balanced, im not saying this because i have one - i have one, because i said this (if you get my drift). Personally for the money i would recommend this bike over all others, and every owner would too. Book time, its 3.36secs to 60, but its obviously down to the rider. Take one for a ride and decide yourself though. One thing though.... some of the early models can suffer from brake fade (bad batch of calipers) so if you are looking at getting one... test the brakes... hard!!

Either way, defo agree with lomoto

No need to be sorry. It's all about personal opinion.

I would agree with Tim though, don't get anything bigger than the 600 class. There are literally 100s to chose from.

A good piece of advice I got from Lomoto was buy jap. For ease of ownership I think it's probably good advice.

A waste of time buying anything with an R in its title as you will pay through the teeth for insurance, I passed my test last year and after looking at a lot of different bikes bought a fazer s2 600 basically a de-tuned r6 with a more upright riding position, I pay just under £250 for my insurance compared to nearly £600 for a r6 and its more than quick enough for a first bike.

Max.

i got an r6 buddy.... rode a cbr600r and the kwak like stews.... best looking imho was the kwak but in my eyes the r6 was perfect for speed...size....and weight.... being only 5'9 the size of the bike really swayed me and the r6 felt the smallest whilst i was on it... most comfortable by a long shot was the cbr though...insurance atm is 550 quid for me but it'll obviously vary for yourself....

i cant recommend the R6 enough...

-ho

Firstly guys, thanks for the great response!

Hear what you are saying about turning 25. Running a few options through Confused and it seems that a few months either side of 25 makes a big difference. Not long until my birthday so keen to know what I want and then get shopping around for it.

Kevo - thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought about weight being a problem...having only ridden Honda 125 and CB500!

My main mode of transport will definitely be the Zed so the bike will be a bit of a toy. As I don't have a lot of experience [and despite loving Triumph Daytona's...esp in matt gray... and Ninjas in bright green!] I don't think it would be too wise for me to take that route just yet. In my mind it would be like passing my driving test at 17 and driving a TVR Tuscan in the wet - likely to end in tears! Happy to graduate to that sort of thing in a couple of years.

Max - that sounds like good logic - seeing that you are from Barrow, I visited mates in Ulverston and Kirby a while back, it must be awesome using the Zed and a bike on those roads!

Lomoto - will drop you a PM to see if you can sort me out!

Ninjas in bright green!]

A few green Ninja owners have seen mine and regretted getting the green. The orange is unbelievable in the flesh! :thumbs:

Anyway, get what you want and what you are comfortable on. As I said, it's all in the wrist. I wanted a faired sporty bad boy so thats what I bought. I ride it like a panzie but I'm learning. At least I know I can ride it for a couple of years without the cost of changing.

Best of luck! :thumbs: