07 vs 57 engine dilema

smartmove

Ok, so I have now sold my Mondeo and am ready to purchase a Z. I have up to 20k to spend and the dilema I am in is that currently there are no 57 or newer plate Z's available for sale privately. Ideally I wanted that one so I'd have the latest engine. However, there are a number of pre-57 plate Z's available for around the 18k mark which have everything I want except the engine. Is there that much of a noticeable difference between the two that you think it would be worth waiting a few weeks (I have my partners car to use in the meantime) for the right one to become available? Thanks all.

I've driven a 296 Roadster (mine) and a 313 Coupe (my brother's) back to back and, on the road, there's pretty much naff all between them. On the track I know the coupe will feel a lot keener, but between the two engines there's really nothing at all.

Personally I feel the 296 offers the best combination right now given that prices are in free-fall as you get the nicer interior with an engine that has plenty of mods available for it (313 stuff is still relatively rare and intakes are obviously double the cost), but then I would say that as that's what I bought! If you can get a 313 for the right price and don't care about the basic intake & exhaust mods then I'd probably go for that if I'm honest, but otherwise there's nothing wrong per se with the 296.

I've driven a 296 Roadster (mine) and a 313 Coupe (my brother's) back to back and, on the road, there's pretty much naff all between them. On the track I know the coupe will feel a lot keener, but between the two engines there's really nothing at all.

Personally I feel the 296 offers the best combination right now given that prices are in free-fall as you get the nicer interior with an engine that has plenty of mods available for it (313 stuff is still relatively rare and intakes are obviously double the cost), but then I would say that as that's what I bought! If you can get a 313 for the right price and don't care about the basic intake & exhaust mods then I'd probably go for that if I'm honest, but otherwise there's nothing wrong per se with the 296.

...unless you get an oil drinker!

You should be aware that some people with 296 bhp engines (the "Rev Up" engine) have had excessive oil consumption problems. There have been a couple of engine's replaced.

Personally when spending this much money i would always wait for the one you really want.

Means there will never be that 'what if' in your head

Thats my thoughts anyway :)

Yeh, I'm definetely inclined to agree with that right now, I'll give it a few weeks and hope the right one comes up. Also only want it in Silver or Grey so I am limiting myself somewhat.

Personally when spending this much money i would always wait for the one you really want.

Means there will never be that 'what if' in your head

Thats my thoughts anyway :)

Yeh, I'm definetely inclined to agree with that right now, I'll give it a few weeks and hope the right one comes up. Also only want it in Silver or Grey so I am limiting myself somewhat.

But now there are a lot more people on the lookout for the right car for you ;)

I was in a similar position a few months ago. Loved the look of the Zed, counted my pennies and decided I would push the boat out for a 296bhp version. Unfortunately while at the dealers I sat in the latest version and looked at the 30k+ price tag :( . Once the seed had been planted I couldn't resist and eventually went for the latest version, albeit a second hand one.

As mentioned, when (if) sale time comes it will be the latest version. Have noticed a few 313 versions going for just under 20k at the Nissan dealers.

Only had a couple of brief test drives but from those I couldn’t really notice any difference in them performance wise. I was also a bit suspicious as to why the 296 version was only around for what seemed a fairly short time ( I always think the worst).

I'm sorry but didn't the MY07 zeds come with the 313 engine, starting with 07 plates and not 57 plates? I know there will be a tiny amount of 296 07 cars but 99% 07 cars will have the 313 engine............

I have seen a few advertised on 07 plates which appear (from the pics) to have the bump on the bonnet but from the looking I've done on the next (autotrader etc..) the majority of 07's I've seen have had the original bonnet.

Had thorough test drives in coupe and roadster versions with both engines....and the 313 is a totally different engine...doesnt need to be revved hard to feel nimble and never seems to run out of puff even at 7000 rpm. 280 and 296 were depressing as i was coming from a very fast car but the 313 was so linear i didnt have to drive a gear up all the time to keep a smile on my face....plus its the latest version on the road so it holds its value better...and few probs with gearbox/clutch have been revised in the 313...

and dont forget that the Z's gears are long...bloody long smtms...which means that ur left hand wont stop changing gears on the 296...

hope i helped.... :thumbs:

Had thorough test drives in coupe and roadster versions with both engines....and the 313 is a totally different engine...doesnt need to be revved hard to feel nimble and never seems to run out of puff even at 7000 rpm. 280 and 296 were depressing as i was coming from a very fast car but the 313 was so linear i didnt have to drive a gear up all the time to keep a smile on my face....plus its the latest version on the road so it holds its value better...and few probs with gearbox/clutch have been revised in the 313...

and dont forget that the Z's gears are long...bloody long smtms...which means that ur left hand wont stop changing gears on the 296...

VBH on 5th Gear road test said pretty much the same thing about the new engine... I think my mind is made up, going to stick it out for a 313.

VBH on 5th Gear road test said pretty much the same thing about the new engine... I think my mind is made up, going to stick it out for a 313.

Never pay attention to what she says....i am so in love with her....loooool

My preference would always be to go for the latest model, even if it costs more.

I would love to spend whatever it takes but getting permission to spend £20k (I may have managed to work on her and get that up to 22k!) was an effort! :)

Lol - I had to take the lady our for a few meals in the build up to me buying one! :lol:

Mines July 07 (313bhp) and I love it - I would go for the best you can afford and get exactly what you want otherwise you will regret it later! B)

It was the combination of the revised interior, lights and new engine that made me decide to go for an 07 also some warranty (for my high miles to work)

Mines July 07 (313bhp) and I love it - I would go for the best you can afford and get exactly what you want otherwise you will regret it later! B)

It was the combination of the revised interior, lights and new engine that made me decide to go for an 07 also some warranty (for my high miles to work)

How many miles have you done in it now? :headhurt: