Newbie Advice Needed

duncanlodge

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm after some advice and a bit of a newbie to the 350Z scene. After 3 years of scrimping and saving I am now in a position to buy a NISSAN 350Z and arrange modification with a APS Twin Turbo FI, Nismo body kit, 20 inch wheels (if possible) and lowered /up-rated springs, upgraded breaks.

Now, I have planned £20K for the total cost of the above, but after reading a few posts I am starting to panic if this can actually be achieved. I can stretch to £25K if needed for the project but I would be loathed to go much further.

Firstly the car - The best looking 350Z Nismo (for me), plus the 20inch wheels and all the extras seems to be at JAP Performance UK and they appear to retail for around £16,000.

That leaves me with £9,000 in order to arrange the TT. Who could do the work in the South-East? Preferably in Surrey. Would this be enough money to arrange a TT setup, installation blah blah.

If you need any further information please let me know. I am ready to move on this within two months so need to get my ar*e in gear!

All the best and look forward to hearing from you. Any help or hints would be gratefully received.

Dunks.

By looking through earlier posts that abbeymotorsport.co.uk would be best as they are based in Surrey.

Also - the TT does not necessary need to be APS - I just need a reliable system, that will not blow the engine for around £9K - 10K.

All the best,

and please any advice would be so helpful! It’s a quagmire of kits out there! :-)

Dunks.

Hi bud and welcome to the forum. I would have thought that your budget was fine. Was quoted around 7k for a tt conversion recently. No probs with 20 inch wheels. sounds like KW Var3 coi;overs should do the job.

As for who to use I am not sure down there but a chat with ESR or ENVY would be a good starting point.

Thanks martinmac! That’s a relief! :-) Would you mind if I asked who quoted you the £7K conversion and where? I don't mind travelling if the cost can be cut down.

All the best,

Dunks.

or you could consider our own car and add the Power Enterprise kit for £6K everything else is ready done on the car the only thing we never got round to was adding the TT kit.

350zyurgan039.jpg

350zyurgan043.jpg

350zyurgan042.jpg

350zyurgan049.jpg

350zyurgan053.jpg

spec here http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15912

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm after some advice and a bit of a newbie to the 350Z scene. After 3 years of scrimping and saving I am now in a position to buy a NISSAN 350Z and arrange modification with a APS Twin Turbo FI, Nismo body kit, 20 inch wheels (if possible) and lowered /up-rated springs, upgraded breaks.

Now, I have planned £20K for the total cost of the above, but after reading a few posts I am starting to panic if this can actually be achieved. I can stretch to £25K if needed for the project but I would be loathed to go much further.

Firstly the car - The best looking 350Z Nismo (for me), plus the 20inch wheels and all the extras seems to be at JAP Performance UK and they appear to retail for around £16,000.

That leaves me with £9,000 in order to arrange the TT. Who could do the work in the South-East? Preferably in Surrey. Would this be enough money to arrange a TT setup, installation blah blah.

If you need any further information please let me know. I am ready to move on this within two months so need to get my ar*e in gear!

All the best and look forward to hearing from you. Any help or hints would be gratefully received.

Dunks.

Don't buy from them. Their cars are low spec imports with what look like cheap rims and kit. You could get a similar car without the kit and rims and add them yourself for about £3k less than their cars.

Oh and :welcome:

Hey Everyone! Thanks so much for the information. BigPhil! The car looks amazing, the only problem is that the money will not be available for a couple of months, but I will certainly give you a shout once it comes in, and if its not sold I’m very keen.

Thanks for the information sarnie! On the kit and alloys! I will definitely keep that in mind! :-) If I could get a 350Z stock for around £10,000 how much should I budget for a decent set of 20-inch wheels, lowering, nismo kit plus spray and fitting? £3500 ish? (PS - I realise this is kinda how long is a piece of string, I'm not looking at top spec just something standard).

Thanks again everyone you have been stars!

Dunks.

Hey Everyone! Thanks so much for the information. BigPhil! The car looks amazing, the only problem is that the money will not be available for a couple of months, but I will certainly give you a shout once it comes in, and if its not sold I’m very keen.

Thanks for the information sarnie! On the kit and alloys! I will definitely keep that in mind! :-) If I could get a 350Z stock for around £10,000 how much should I budget for a decent set of 20-inch wheels, lowering, nismo kit plus spray and fitting? £3500 ish?

Thanks again everyone you have been stars!

Dunks.

It all depends on what brands you want. You could get it all on the cheap for £3500 or less I reckon.

If you want Volks with MPS tyres, KW coilovers and genuine Nismo kit you'll be looking at about double that figure maybe?

I reckon you could get a stock car and add the bits you want for under £20k. :thumbs:

What numbers are you looking at getting out of an APS kit?

20 inch rims? Your going to be stuck for rubber... 19's are good enough and plenty of decent rubber to chose from. 18's are better if you want to track a turbo beast as more track rubber available. Saying used to be 19's for show. 18's for GO....

If your looking at 400+bhp then its not just about the turbos, its about everything else, drive train etc.. Decent 20" rims that will take the torque your going to be looking at 2k inc rubber... Kit £850 min and thats for a copy or used, Spray about £900...

If your looking at more than 400 bhp, you need to make sure about brakes, fly and clutch etc etc etc.... The list goes on!

Loads of decent UK and import cars for sale at the mo (inc Phils great example) and there will be in the next few months. £25k is deffo do-able but you need to make sure you have a decent car to start with..

What numbers are you looking at getting out of an APS kit?

20 inch rims? Your going to be stuck for rubber... 19's are good enough and plenty of decent rubber to chose from. 18's are better if you want to track a turbo beast as more track rubber available. Saying used to be 19's for show. 18's for GO....

If your looking at 400+bhp then its not just about the turbos, its about everything else, drive train etc.. Decent 20" rims that will take the torque your going to be looking at 2k inc rubber... Kit £850 min and thats for a copy or used, Spray about £900...

If your looking at more than 400 bhp, you need to make sure about brakes, fly and clutch etc etc etc.... The list goes on!

Loads of decent UK and import cars for sale at the mo (inc Phils great example) and there will be in the next few months. £25k is deffo do-able but you need to make sure you have a decent car to start with..

He should be safe with stock set ups if he goes with the PE kit and limits it to 370 bhp. Agree that anymore will warrant an upgrade of said items plus internals... :thumbs:

Sarnie! Your a star! :-) 20K with the TT? Who would you recommend doing the work?. I'm starting to get all the information together and then I'm gonna roll with the quotes. Again, I don't mind travelling if costs can reduce a little.

Check out Kev @ Envys PE kitted car if you want a fine example of what can be done... And then check out everything else thats been done to make sure you can keep it going...

The 350z is a great car as it is but it does leave you wanting a little more power. Buy one, drive it, get the feeling, work out what more you want and then start to plan Stage 3 ~(There is a stage 2 that most people do first!) IMO!

If your in the south, it would be a good idea to get someone in the area to do the work cause you will be back to get things sorted and its best under its own steam not on the back of a low loader....

Abbey are good, but very busy running a racing team, they may not get back to you for a few weeks or be able to fit you in. They are also great at N/A upgrades...

Where you based in the South?

Hey 3FIDDY. I was only looking at the 400 BHP limit, nothing more. I just kinda like the whole big wheel thing, but I totally agree with you about 19" working better performancewize.

:-)

Seem to remember having a car with 15" rims on and wanting to got to MASSIVE 16" rims! How time have changed and I am only 36!

I have about 289 out of mine at the moment, even though I love it I do want more... Human nature says if you get 400 you will prob want more too in time!

If you speak to the guys on this forum and the other one that have owned and built, then 400bhp isnt easy and not easy to keep without some ongoing attention. Have a search for turbo and there are loads of posts and discussion, hope you get what you want in the end :)

Hey 3FIDDY! Thanks so much for your comments. I'm based in Kingston Upon Thames, so anything around Surrey, S London would be perfect for me. I am quite keen to get the work done quickly, so maybe Abbey ain't the best choice. I will give them a call in a few weeks and see if we can work something out. I totally agree with you on the buy the car first thing! Sorry - I tend to get a little ahead of myself, but I have finally got my partner to agree to the turbo upgrade, it took weeks of begging! Hehe. I'm not after crazy performance, I just fancy the idea of a 350z with a turbo and i'll take it gently to make sure I get the best prices.

Once again! Everyone on this site has been fantastic with information! It has been a great help!

Hey 3FIDDY! Thanks so much for your comments. I'm based in Kingston Upon Thames, so anything around Surrey, S London would be perfect for me. I am quite keen to get the work done quickly, so maybe Abbey ain't the best choice. I will give them a call in a few weeks and see if we can work something out. I totally agree with you on the buy the car first thing! Sorry - I tend to get a little ahead of myself, but I have finally got my partner to agree to the turbo upgrade, it took weeks of begging! Hehe. I'm not after crazy performance, I just fancy the idea of a 350z with a turbo and i'll take it gently to make sure I get the best prices.

Once again! Everyone on this site has been fantastic with information! It has been a great help!

Hi

I had the APS kit done at the UK distributor in May this year. I seem to remember 387 bhp, thats without Internals etc etc, but the graphs /piccies of the conversion are posted in the Forced induction forum. I did promise not to mention what I paid, but exchange rate movements probably havn't helped. Talk to David Stone of DS Autos in Aylesbury. If you want to have a look at a converted car, drop me a mail, I'm in Woking, just down the road from you. the APS kit includes a new ECU which the Power Enterprise kit doesnt (or didn't - when I chose) - and thats a pricey bit of kit!!

After a little bit of research I'd personally strike "cheaply" off that list ;)

I increased the power on my s13 "cheaply" it cost £20 for a bleed valve.

Multiply that by 10 for the average price difference between a z33 and s13 and there's very little DIY power to be added to the VQ for £200 !

That leaves expensively right and expensively wrong. And the less you pay to do it wrong the higher the chance that things will soon go very expensively wrong ! :headhurt:

It's better to be satisfied with less power but a higher level of confidence than a nervous higher hp - the time it takes for (I suspect *all*) power to feel slow is fleetingly short. The fear of putting your foot down and dreading every rattle or pop is forever - or for as long as you own the car ... or until you do decide to decorate the road with oil and metal fragments! :)

I'm not trying to say "Buy the most expensive kit" but more money for a conversion your tuner is familiar with is better than a cheaper one they don't like.

This link is old but can help clarify ...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/159863

I think the motto goes - "skilfully, cheaply, quickly; pick any two"