Seriously squeaky brakes!

RobD7

Over the last few weeks my brakes have been squeaking quite loud (embarrassingly loud! :blush: ). I presumed they were just wearing in but after 700 miles there is still no change. Only get the noise when I'm going slowly, like rolling down my drive.

Is this normal? Or should I be taking it back to the garage under warranty? :wacko:

Any help, greatly appreciated :thumbs:

sounds like they haven't been bedded in correctly and are prob glazed, i would take them out, rough them up with some wet and dry and bed them in correctly, also make sure they have copper grease on the back of them :thumbs:

Ok thanks but that is beyond me! Do you think the dealer would do it for me under warranty? Only I'm convinced I have not done anything wrong!

sounds like they haven't been bedded in correctly and are prob glazed, i would take them out, rough them up with some wet and dry and bed them in correctly, also make sure they have copper grease on the back of them :thumbs:

Ok thanks but that is beyond me! Do you think the dealer would do it for me under warranty? Only I'm convinced I have not done anything wrong!

very doubtful, they just consider pads a "wear and tear" item and wouldn't even entertain a claim of any kind BUT it does no harm to ask mate :thumbs:

I've always done 50-30 x5 with light pressure, 70-40 x5 med pressure, and 100-50 hard pressure x5 (obviously on a private road) with the gaps in between to allow the brakes to cool. This ensures that the pad gets even treated with heat over the whole surface (1st bit does the front, 2nd bit does the middle, last bit does the back).

At least, that's the theory behind it that I've been told and it's worked for me in the past.

Most cars have anti squeal shimsbehind the pads to stop this, maybe one of yours is fractured or missing from assembly. Quite a common one in the trade, go back to the dealer, they will sort it for ya. Badly run in brakes are usually just not as effective a properly run in ones...

Just me 2p's worth

:teeth:

Yeah I did wonder that but I've I've been running the car in properly so not nailing it hence no heavy braking! Harsh if that is the reason. How would I know?

Mine squeal a little bit after i've had a quick run, but i have been doing some progressively harder braking, normally they're silent.

On the subject of running in, i've been just about managing to keep it to 4K revs, but no full throttle in any gear? naaaahhhh.... :blush:

Yeah I did wonder that but I've I've been running the car in properly so not nailing it hence no heavy braking! Harsh if that is the reason. How would I know?

you wouldn't know unless you looked at the pads, has it always done it ?

if read threads on here most squeeling relates to after market pads not being bedded in properly and is remedied by re-bedding in most times

expect the one where the guy put the pad in back to front :headhurt:

easiest first option is to give the brake callipers etc a good jet wash, no need to remove the wheels,.

The standard pads generate a lot of dust which builds up very quickly especially if you are being gentle on the brakes during your running in period.

Following this carry out a bedding in proceedure, 5 runs 70mph to 30mph with firm even braking. The standard pads don't need a high speed (100mph to 10mph) run.