Brake fluid change

herbzman

Nissan maintenance schedule does not address brake fluid change but have heard/read that cars with ABS should have a brake fluid change. The moderator on a car repair show I listen to on the weekends recommends the brake fluid be changed every 24 months. Comments? My 350Z is due for 24 month service in Sept and am considering having dealer change the brake fluid. Am I just wasting my money? Is Nissan brake fluid OK or should I go with another brand?

I track my car and change the brake fluid each year and bleed it once every few months.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and over time draw water in and water boils at low temp and cause brake fade.

Nissan OEM bake fluid has a dry boiling point around 180degrees C, I swapped mine out to motul RFB 600 which boils around 320 dC i think. I have yet to boil it on track and the OEM fluid boiled in just a few laps!

I would change it mate. Will give you better brake feel if it has not been changed for a good while.

Nissan maintenance schedule does not address brake fluid change but have heard/read that cars with ABS should have a brake fluid change. The moderator on a car repair show I listen to on the weekends recommends the brake fluid be changed every 24 months. Comments? My 350Z is due for 24 month service in Sept and am considering having dealer change the brake fluid. Am I just wasting my money? Is Nissan brake fluid OK or should I go with another brand?

Had my 2 year service at Holdcrofts and they changed my brake fluid without me requesting it to be done. So would of thought that the Nissan maintenance schedule does recommend it. ;)

The Nissan maintenance schedule shows a brake fluid change every 24 months.

Any decent DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid will do. I`m not sure how DOT translates to American standards but basically they are Glycol based fluids - do NOT use silicone based fluids for general road use (and that is standard rule for most cars).

My US 2005 SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE GUIDE does not call for brake fluid change at 24 months. Does the UK SERVICE AND MANITENANCE GUIDE call for it?

Also the 2005 350Z OWNER'S MANUAL does not give the brake fluid capacity-does anyone know this info? Web sites I have seen offering Motul RBF 600 brake fluid give differing numbers of bottles needed to flush & refill the system-some say 2 bottles are needed while some say 3 bottles are needed. I understand the site may want to sell more fluid than is needed. One of the replies I received on this topic says 2.

The OWNER'S MANUAL does caution against adding synthetic brake fluid. I assume that it's OK to replace the factory fluid with synthetic fluid.

You can use synthetic but if you do you must flush the system out entirely first. This is worthwhile anyway to get all of the crud out of it.

Turns out DOT is an American rating anyway :lol:.

Personally, if it was me, I`d use 5.1 synthetic and 2 litre for a good flush through. You will probably never need the higher boiling point of 5.1 and will probably have plenty of fluid left over, but it doesn't cost significantly more so what the hell... If you feel short of cash you can use a litre of Nissan fluid - oh hang on, I bet that costs the same :)

Has anyone in UK on this site checked their maintenance guide to see if brake fluid change is listed at 24 month interval? As I posted previously it's not mentioned in my US maintenance guide.

From the posts I've read it appears that Motul RBF 600 may not be the best choice unless I'm running my car on the track as it absorbs more water than lower rated fluids-I am correct on this?

It's sold in 1/2 litre bottles in USA. So is Motul 5.1 fluid. Still don't know what the brake system capacity is from this site or other 350Z/Nissan sites. Perhaps 1 lite of fluid is adequate to flush & fill the system?