no more stone chips ?

GIXXERUK

This is basically the same as paintshield or ventura only coloured instead of clear.

I'd do this in a heart beat if I could get the blackboard colour that Brabus have been using of late.

Ssssshhhh!!! :lol:

+1 no prepping is needed as there is with spraying

Yes but your car has to be immaculate before they fit it. The tiniest spec of grit or a shows up as a massive lump.

I wouldnt advise anyone get this done unless they hate the idea of a respray.

The finish may look OK for a short while but will scratch and scuff easily and stone chips and scratches that you could touch up or buff out with a paint finish will be more like tears and rips and whole panels will need re-doing.

Your car wont be as shiny as a nice paint job either.

It's not meant to look like paint so I wouldn't expect it to be shiny :)

As for tears, I can only see it tearing if it is something that would cause a serious scratch / chip on paint?

The car is kept waxed anyway, so it would be fine beforehand I hope. :)

+1 no prepping is needed as there is with spraying

Yes but your car has to be immaculate before they fit it. The tiniest spec of grit or a shows up as a massive lump.

I wouldnt advise anyone get this done unless they hate the idea of a respray.

The finish may look OK for a short while but will scratch and scuff easily and stone chips and scratches that you could touch up or buff out with a paint finish will be more like tears and rips and whole panels will need re-doing.

Your car wont be as shiny as a nice paint job either.

obviously you have had this done to offer up such conclusive advice :lol:

its pretty obvious the car would need to be spotlessly clean, any lumps show on application and vinyl can be lifted to clean it, i have seen this done

It's not meant to look like paint so I wouldn't expect it to be shiny

As for tears, I can only see it tearing if it is something that would cause a serious scratch / chip on paint?

The car is kept waxed anyway, so it would be fine beforehand I hope.

Tears was a bit extreme of me what I was trying to get at was when a stone hits your front bumper or bonnet it can make the vinyl ride up a little.

I have worked with vinyls/graphics for 15 years and still dont think its a great finish and its not that durable. It marks and indents quite easily.

And even if your car is waxed and clean, dust and crap will get on the adhesive during the application process. Make sure pros can do it in a very clean workshop or the finish will suffer.

It's not meant to look like paint so I wouldn't expect it to be shiny

The car is kept waxed anyway, so it would be fine beforehand I hope.

Tears was a bit extreme of me what I was trying to get at was when a stone hits your front bumper or bonnet it can make the vinyl ride up a little.

I have worked with vinyls/graphics for 15 years and still dont think its a great finish and its not that durable. It marks and indents quite easily.

And even if your car is waxed and clean, dust and crap will get on the adhesive during the application process. Make sure pros can do it in a very clean workshop or the finish will suffer.

Thanks for the advice. Will ask to see any work before going ahead with anything. I guess it depends on how much the car is used and where etc. All to be considered.... :)

Dont get me wrong, a pretty good level of quality can be achieved.

I just wouldnt do it to my car :D

Best to find a car that had a vehicle wrap done to it 6months or a year ago and see how the finish has held up. I'm sure a graphics shop will show you a newly wrapped panel, looking perfect but give that panel a month of driving at high speed, having stones thrown at it and having women open their car doors on it in supermarkets and I'm sure it will look a lot different

My mate got a quote from a company he knows of £900 to do his scooby. You can have any design you want as its just printed on the special 'Memory' Vinyl. Its so called memory vinyl cos if anything goes wrong with it, it can simply be heated and reshaped, unlike normal vinyl. It is supposed to be very cost effective but you would get that lovely deep shine you would with paint.

My mate got a quote from a company he knows of £900 to do his scooby. You can have any design you want as its just printed on the special 'Memory' Vinyl. Its so called memory vinyl cos if anything goes wrong with it, it can simply be heated and reshaped, unlike normal vinyl. It is supposed to be very cost effective but you would get that lovely deep shine you would with paint.

£900? that sounds pretty good.. any idea what a respray would cost?

Would love to have my GM wrapped in white :p

In the name of science. I will get hold of a sample piece, if someone wants to stick it to the front of their car and leave it on for a couple of months.

You can report back the results then.

It probably wont be a large piece as this stuuf costs a fortune per metre.

So any volunteers to have a coloured piece of vinyl stuck to their bonnet for a couple of months?

In the name of science. I will get hold of a sample piece, if someone wants to stick it to the front of their car and leave it on for a couple of months.

You can report back the results then.

It probably wont be a large piece as this stuuf costs a fortune per metre.

So any volunteers to have a coloured piece of vinyl stuck to their bonnet for a couple of months?

Why not get some the same colour as your car and just stick it on where people have the carbon fibre lip, i doubt it'd be noticeable and that's where i'd assume most stone chips occur!