Two free products from VMware now

stevie_350z

For the computer techies on here... VMware Server has been available for ages to run virtual machines for free... but now we are releasing ESX 3i for free... which is the real bare metal hypervisor... CEO announced it yesterday, and proper announcement including where to get it, will be end of week.

Also, if you want to buy Workstation or Fusion, I can get it for you at a discount rate... if anyone is interested I'll check out the latest rates...

:tumbleweed:

yeah I saw that today. Can you actually get ESX3i? My understanding was it was only going to be available from with hardware i.e. blades etc. Now they are making it free is this going to change? Are they now going to make it freely downloadable?

Not sure why they did not do 3.5 as well as 3i as they are virtually the same. Give the basic system away free and sell the add on vMotion/HA etc.

Would be very interested if we can get 3i onto some of the blades at work. Got 3.5 installed on one but but thats all due to the CPU cost.

Hey Rob, 3i has no service console, which is the only difference between that and 3.5. In 3i it is replaced by a lighweight VM called busybox, and other "world" processes are moved into vmkernel.

You are right that 3i was made to be preinstalled but there is a downloadable version about to be put on vmware.com, watch out for the announcement.

And we do sell all the add ons for vMotion, HA etc. I think Paul, our new CEO, will be shaking things up as you would expect a new CEO to do with a fresh pair of eyes and up for the fight with M$.

If you RSS our vmware.com site you'll get the notification...

Question about the 3i - as it doesn't have the service console - how could i go about copying a VM from another machine? I have found the easiest way to do this is just copy the VM across to the VMFS filesystem, browse to it and then add it.

Also - is it possible to copy OS Install ISOs to storage on the box with 3i?

Also where is the RSS feed - i can't see it anywhere?

Question about the 3i - as it doesn't have the service console - how could i go about copying a VM from another machine? I have found the easiest way to do this is just copy the VM across to the VMFS filesystem, browse to it and then add it.

Also - is it possible to copy OS Install ISOs to storage on the box with 3i?

Also where is the RSS feed - i can't see it anywhere?

Hey Rob,

The cos is replaced by a new console, something locked down called Busybox. You can see VMFS from there. You can enable SSH on it to access remotely as well as from the console, but you should really have ISOs on a shared filesystem not on the server itself - we are trying, or should I say achieved, to make an ESX server truly stateless.

You can use an ESXi box just like an ESX3 box, but no agents/programs in the COS (cos it's gone, fnar fnar).

As for the RSS feed - if you use FF3 checkout the right hand side of your address bar when at http://www.vmware.com - or check out the bottom right corner ... click away and ye shall find!

:)

Guest prescience
:banned:

shouldn't this have been posted on www.nerd.com ;)

It's best just to let these guys have an anorak-fest and enjoy their virtual train sets :thumbs:

Whilst reassuring yourself, that there's relatively little money to be made at this level of detail :p You just need to know someone who can

Your current EULA is not acceptable to us. We have tried a number of times to work with VMWare to come to an agreement but we've not got anywhere.

At the moment we have to go through a middle man which takes the risk on the parts of the EULA we do not agree to. Easy enough when you buy something but its a nightmare getting them to do it for the free products.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Stew! VMware is quite simple...

...imagine a datacenter full of computers, sucking up power, pumping out heat, destroying the planet and only being used for about 6% of their actual power.

That is the industry standard - around the world, the average CPU utilization is 6%, meaning that a lot of power, cooling and cash is wasted.

Imagine if you could reduce that number of computers, therefore reduce the power used, the cooling required, and the cash spent... how could you do it?

You can turn computers off, but for those still required you can VIRTUALIZE them with VMware. And for any new requests for computeres, you can VIRTUALIZE them.

What virtualization does is let multiple virtual machines run on one physical machine - they share the physical machine but they are kept isolated, well they are with VMware but not with our competitors.

The end result is: much less space used in the datacenter, much less power used, smaller carbon footpring, less cooling (=even less power) and cost avoidance (capital expenditure and operational expenditure) = no brainer.

For home / desktop users, things are even more exciting. Do a google for VMware Server, Workstation, ACE, ThinApp and VDI.

If you're still awake, well done

Steve