Different z

Jay

under powered to be honest, and a little small? Never driven one but look at the stats:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Sum ... x?model=74

I raced a 2.5 in my old school e36 323 once and he didnt pull on me at all which he should have done in theory.

Looks are good, but is more of a standard car - i rarely look twice at them. You see hundreds of them dont you?

As an alternative (although nowhere near the quality/finish) i'd be more tempted to look at the crossfire - rarer than the 350z, making it more exclusive? People more likely to look twice? I'd have one if it wasnt for the shocking interior.

...but if you were asking about the Z4M Coupe on the other hand... B)

Z4 is a good little car and its chassis is in a different league to the Crossfire - the SLK chassis wasn't much good when the Merc used it! Also IIRC there are two 2.5 Z4's and you would want the higher power version.

Maybe we're not as affluent here on Merseyside but you still don't see many Z4's around. ;)

Z4 is a good little car and its chassis is in a different league to the Crossfire - the SLK chassis wasn't much good when the Merc used it! Also IIRC there are two 2.5 Z4's and you would want the higher power version.

Maybe we're not as affluent here on Merseyside but you still don't see many Z4's around. ;)

Must just be cheshire then B)

LOL am going to take the z4 out for a wee test drive i think! I dnt want to part with the zed its just killin me on the old petrol front! I think the z4 gets about 32 mpgs which is alot better wat am gettin in the zed 19 lol

LOL am going to take the z4 out for a wee test drive i think! I dnt want to part with the zed its just killin me on the old petrol front! I think the z4 gets about 32 mpgs which is alot better wat am gettin in the zed 19 lol

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, but havent got around to it... perhaps i should start a new thread so everyone sees it...!

I always, without fail get between 300 and 315 miles out of a tank of fuel (approx 21mpg), doing a good mixture of town/country/motorway driving. BUT, last month, after also being sick of spending £90+ a week on petrol, i decided to start driving differently!

I now drive a lot more fuel-conciously... i mean, now i hate having to put the brakes on! I stay on the speed limit, but then if going down hill or something, i'll drop into neutral, until my speed starts to dip.

Also, when approaching traffic light or a queue of traffic, i'll slow down much further than before (mabye 50yds?), and then roll upto the back of the queue - keeping my speed at a level which means i wont have to come to a complete stop - as the queue should have started moving by the time i reach it.

And my favourite - i now go around roundabouts much quicker! Instead of approaching fast, braking, and going round at a reasonable speed - i now approach at a medium speed, allowing me to see the traffic in advance, and then get round the roundabout without even putting my brakes on! It sounds daft but its more fun... im cornering harder!!

So, all in all, i now get approx 400miles to a tank (approx 29mpg), my lowest being 399, my best being 413. Thats 25% more, or another way, about £80 a month for me!

It sounds ridiculous, but its not - i was shocked!

I've been meaning to post about this for a while, but havent got around to it... perhaps i should start a new thread so everyone sees it...!

I always, without fail get between 300 and 315 miles out of a tank of fuel (approx 21mpg), doing a good mixture of town/country/motorway driving. BUT, last month, after also being sick of spending £90+ a week on petrol, i decided to start driving differently!

I now drive a lot more fuel-conciously... i mean, now i hate having to put the brakes on! I stay on the speed limit, but then if going down hill or something, i'll drop into neutral, until my speed starts to dip.

Also, when approaching traffic light or a queue of traffic, i'll slow down much further than before (mabye 50yds?), and then roll upto the back of the queue - keeping my speed at a level which means i wont have to come to a complete stop - as the queue should have started moving by the time i reach it.

And my favourite - i now go around roundabouts much quicker! Instead of approaching fast, braking, and going round at a reasonable speed - i now approach at a medium speed, allowing me to see the traffic in advance, and then get round the roundabout without even putting my brakes on! It sounds daft but its more fun... im cornering harder!!

So, all in all, i now get approx 400miles to a tank (approx 29mpg), my lowest being 399, my best being 413. Thats 25% more, or another way, about £80 a month for me!

hmmmm food for thought.

Thought I'd read somewhere that coasting in neutral was not such a good idea as you were still using petrol, where as if you left it in gear, granted it would have to be a high one to coast, the engine shut off the petrol or something like that?.....

Thought I'd read somewhere that coasting in neutral was not such a good idea as you were still using petrol, where as if you left it in gear, granted it would have to be a high one to coast, the engine shut off the petrol or something like that?.....

Even if thats true, i believe it would still be better than leaving it in gear, as the engine braking that occurs would half the distance im able to free-wheel!

I drive like petrol is free and I get 30mpg :teeth:

Many years ago I came over a hill in my 260Z and found someone 'rolling up to the back of a queue', or in this case rolling up to a shut level crossing. Despite them being 300M away from the crossing, they were saving fuel and doing 5mph, just over the brow of the hill. Needless to say it was the end of their car and the end of my beloved 260Z. :dry:

Slow does not always mean safe...

Clarkson said if you depress the clutch and coast then modern cars don't use any fuel. Not sure if he was referring to the Z or just some frugal BMW 1 series where the car runs off the smugness of the toad sucking vegetarian driving it.

Jay, I drive like a knob and get 24mpg. Changing your driving style is prob easier than getting a gay BMW :thumbs:

Z4 Jay? Nooooooo!

I'd be surprised if you like the Z4 after owning the Zed. Had a Z4 3.0i Si Sport (267bhp model) for a few days last year (fortunately it wasnt mine) and just wasnt really that impressed - i think it was the whole Z4 experience that let me down - i cant really describe it - it just didnt feel right, it was quite uninvolving and generally felt like it lacked something though i'm not sure what exactly.

The best thing about it was the engine but it definitely had less character than the V6 in the Zed, the dimensions of the car felt wrong, the steering is a lot lighter and the handling is by not in the same league as the Zeds.

Plus the bonnet is about 50ft long :lol:

One way to improve your MPG would be to swap your auto Zed for a manual Zed - means you'd still be driving the car you want at the end of the day :teeth:

Depressing the clutch? Coasting?????? :surrender:

+1 :surrender:

Not that I coast but why :surrender: . I take it that it don't do the car any favours?

Nah, I just didn't buy a 3.5 litre sports car to coast around in... ;)

id say swapping to a manual would be good as you could do what i do on the bike or the polo and sit in a higher gear than i need, the bike will do 30 happily in first, but i'll sit in 3rd as it saves petrol, and sounds lovely!!

the polo i just change up so it doesnt blow up!

but yeah a manual you could sit in 5th when your auto would put you in 3rd. then you still have a 350z and your pride!