Plenums or full manifolds

kingbiscuit

Everyone on here seems to be upgrading their intake manifolds with plenum upgrades. Either spacers, Upper or ocassionally lower plenums.

But has anyone modded their Zed with any on the full manifold components such as the SSV Extreme Flow Kinetix Manifold or the Cosworth Full Intake Manifold I think both replace the upper AND the lower plenums and will generally give better gains

I'm considering either a full plenum replacement (upper and lower) or going for one of the full manifolds.

Anyone know which is gonna be best?

Search on either of the 2 main 350z uk forums will throw up loads of info. One of the uk tuning co's did work with the cosworth with ECU tuning and no real results.

Best bit is searching my350z.com as there is loads of results on there...

Best bet for the money is a spacer and if your up for it a Piggyback ECU... They have been known to give good results...

Full plenum replacement is pointless unless you are going FI, wether you tune for it or not. Going FI, I think the results are still dubious.

Save ya money and splash it on something that will make a difference like brakes or suspension ;)

I was toying with the cosworth purley cos it looked awesome, but seen some pics of it installed and it don't look half as good as the promo pictures suggested imo. Got a plenum spacer and definately felt the difference, esp on motorways in 6th. :thumbs:

Just sent off a quick mail to Kinetix racing.

Maybe we will get some more info regarding the SSV from them.

Hi

I am interested in purchasing an SSV Extreme Flow Kinetix Manifold from you.

I have been searching in forums and some people are saying that this manifold does not give any power gains and that it actually causes some power loss.

Obviously, this has me a little concerned but with your dyno readouts you show some great gains.

Could you please let me know if there were any other mods on the NA car as well as the SSV Extreme as I will be fitting this to a standard 2003 car with JWT popcharger which will be ECU remapped (15hp gain from that)

Can I expect to see comparitively the same results as you or can you offer any sort of guarantee of power gains on a standard NA car

I will be dyno'ing before and after installation.

And here's the reply

we actually have improved the manifold recently, we just havent updated our website. The previous manifold gave good gains, but often needed a good tune (like a piggyback ecu) to see those gains.

The new manifold has a larger plenum chamber and shorter runners for more high end rpm gains.

We would also love to see you before/after with our new SSV.

Did you get the rev limi raised? if so that will help greatly as we saw 20-30 hp gains above 6200 rpm!!! this was on a 350z with only jwt pop charger.

I reckon these things are gonna have to have some gains as false advertising springs to mind

No such thing as false advetising in the land of Mod, they have a print out from a dyno but dynos can be fixed and are reliant of all sorts of things like ambiant temps......

The manifold may give an increase but no gtees!

Strange that these claims are not all over my350z as 20-30hp is a big increase....

Oh and just to add, if you havnt had your car dyno'd yet, you may be suprised by the results... cars have been known to vary between 220bhp and 260bhp on the mk1 Zeds.... also remember its at the wheels so depending on dyno and temp you can get varied bhp's... Summer is not the time to dyno as the bhp's will be lower...

Oh and just to add, if you havnt had your car dyno'd yet, you may be suprised by the results... cars have been known to vary between 220bhp and 260bhp on the mk1 Zeds.... also remember its at the wheels so depending on dyno and temp you can get varied bhp's... Summer is not the time to dyno as the bhp's will be lower...

+1 - I was down at an MLR rolling road on Sunday and 80% of the guys seem dissapointed with the results. They all base their expected output to be OEM figures plus whatever the mod manufacurer quotes, so say 305+10(intake)+10(decat) and then wonder why it comes in at little over 300BHP (with 24% fudge) rather than 325BHP. All you can realisitically do with a dyno is get a baseline and then run it again after each mod in similar conditions and see if its gone up. Never base it on OEM figures, they're a load of bull ;)

don't waste your time with an SSV

A spacer is the most cost effective way to achieve the gains. You also don't need to be concerned with "fancy" gaskets, and the like too - the spacer itself is what makes the gains, tuning helps it even further (and helps to smooth the dyno curve alot)

+1 - I was down at an MLR rolling road on Sunday and 80% of the guys seem dissapointed with the results. They all base their expected output to be OEM figures plus whatever the mod manufacurer quotes, so say 305+10(intake)+10(decat) and then wonder why it comes in at little over 300BHP (with 24% fudge) rather than 325BHP. All you can realisitically do with a dyno is get a baseline and then run it again after each mod in similar conditions and see if its gone up. Never base it on OEM figures, they're a load of bull ;)

Absolutely true. Modding never works like this. While the OEM #'s can be pretty much on point (they usually are, or at least very close), it's never the case that the individual gains net a grand sum. In addition, the net change of a particular mod does not always show up as a change to the peak #'s

A spacer is the most cost effective way to achieve the gains. You also don't need to be concerned with "fancy" gaskets, and the like too - the spacer itself is what makes the gains, tuning helps it even further 9and helps to smooth the dyno curve alot)

Tuning by who though. I cant find anyone in the midlands who tunes Zeds

A spacer is the most cost effective way to achieve the gains. You also don't need to be concerned with "fancy" gaskets, and the like too - the spacer itself is what makes the gains, tuning helps it even further 9and helps to smooth the dyno curve alot)

Tuning by who though. I cant find anyone in the midlands who tunes Zeds

That I can't say unfortunately, but perhaps some of the midlands based members can give you some suggestions on who might offer such a service

• 9 months later...

I have run both the SSV and the Cosworth Plenums.

I had issues with the SSV previously running 500 bhp and had to reinforce and reweld the plenum seams. I now run 600 at the hubs with no SSV reliability issues since.

The later SSV plenums are now manufactured using a different process and are now trouble free.

No gains to be had if you remain n.a.

The Cosworth plenum is much more robust and since Cosworth changed there manufacturing process the quality issues have now been sorted.

I have a brand new Cosworth Plenum with Carbon End Covers which I am about to advertise, but it is available to members at the moment for £699.00.

Alex.

I had issues with the SSV previously running 500 bhp and had to reinforce and reweld the plenum seams. I now run 600 at the hubs with no SSV reliability issues since.

The later SSV plenums are now manufactured using a different process and are now trouble free.

The Cosworth plenum is much more robust and since Cosworth changed there manufacturing process the quality issues have now been sorted.

I have a brand new Cosworth Plenum with Carbon End Covers which I am about to advertise, but it is available to members at the moment for £699.00.

Alex.

Is that the new revised version? :blackeye:

Alex.

Is that the new revised version? :blackeye:

Yes :thumbs: