ESR Exhaust - pics added

ab350z

Folks, took delivery of new cat back system from ESR today. Got some funny looks at work carrying a coffin sized box round the car park.

Phoned the garage just down the road, Nissan, a local performance mob and even Kwik Fit, none wanted to install it. The performance lot said 2 weeks wait and 3 hours at £52. How tricky is an exhaust to replace if you've got the right tools and a weekend to devote to it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, took delivery of new cat back system from ESR today. Got some funny looks at work carrying a coffin sized box round the car park.

Phoned the garage just down the road, Nissan, a local performance mob and even Kwik Fit, none wanted to install it. The performance lot said 2 weeks wait and 3 hours at £52. How tricky is an exhaust to replace if you've got the right tools and a weekend to devote to it?

No real problems give me a call and I will talk you through it.

Cheers Phil, I'll start it tomorrow.

Trying to find a guide of sorts but no joy yet.

main parts required:-

WD40

Jack

Axle stands

Socket set.

We are in the workshop from 9am tommorow just call and we can guide you through it.

From what I know the only problem that may stump you is if there are properly seized bolts in there. If thats the case then just get someone who knows how to shift them to give you a hand ;) My mates Evo had seized bolts when he came to do a decat so we had to take it to the local exhuast chap who heated them up and off they popped :)

Pretty sure i spotted shiny new bolts in the package from Phil, wont be needing those old ones again in a hurry. Although I'm drawing the line at blowtorching!

Just laid the full thing out on the grass outside my work, its a beauty. Even managed to draw a crowd. Wait till they hear it on!

You've got me thinking now, doing it myself might mean I could do this quicker than I'd thought.

Got the tools mentioned, agree with the wd40 the night before suggestion always a good one that.

If you can take a few pics and post a guide that would be great, might mean I could do this in a month or so when I get that garage done (everything in a complete mess and impossible to find at the moment).

Any chance you could record the sound difference and insert those clips into a guide if you do one ?

Pretty sure i spotted shiny new bolts in the package from Phil, wont be needing those old ones again in a hurry. Although I'm drawing the line at blowtorching!

Just laid the full thing out on the grass outside my work, its a beauty. Even managed to draw a crowd. Wait till they hear it on!

it's getting the old ones off you may need the blowtorch for

Piece of cake Chris. Just take your time. I'm busy tomorrow or I'd have popped round to give you a hand. I do need another demo though.

I'm free most of sunday so if you're doing it then give me a shout if you've got any troubles!

OK folks, ESR exhaust now fitted.

Here's my write up -

1 - Jack up car and secure on axle stands

2 - Take one look at the job, grab the yellow pages and ring round some fitter

3 - Pay a local garage for an hours labour and enjoy, cut free but wallet slightly lighter!!

I bottled it! Got the car up on the jack, had a go at the bolts on the backbox and realised when I was searching for a blowtorch that this was beyond me. Took an hours labour at a local exhaust/tyre place (Law's Tyres for anyone local).

The owner said of the exhaust - What a piece of kit, not sure if I should fit it or play god save the queen on it.

The guys fitting it were well impressed, one slight issue they thought the midpipe should maybe be slightly more angled as it currently rests on the a beam under the car, but there appears to be no stress on either part, no wobble or rattle so looks good.

I've got a few pics during the installation but waiting till the sealant has properly set before I go ragging it but first impressions are great. Its loud if you bury that right foot but at idle and just constant speed you'd hardly know it was there. I've still got the baffles on but they'll be off later on.

Pics - DSC00059.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

Ha ha sure I am judging by what its like already. Took a road home I knew I'd not end up stuck in traffic on, but its a 30mph so just sat at the limit in 5th, radio on, windows up and A/C on, couldn't even here it. Stopped at lights in town and pulled off to about 3k rpm...... ahhhhhh that'll be the new exhaust then!! Had to take the main shopping street home to get to the flat, as you do, and its enough to make old ladies and schoolboys cry!

Would be interested to know if you think it's too loud!? Can you sneak by unnoticed if you want to!?

No. No no no no no. Not in a million years. Even 5th @ 30mph will rumble more enough to make people turn and look.

And that's why I love it. B)

When it was firs tfitted I thought , oh my god, this is a mistake! Its been on for a week now and the sound has changed. Its not as loud, but just as loud....Yeha yeha Iknow that sounds stupid! carnt explain. The best way to look at it is the noise has change to a more deep rumble untill you put your foot down then it sounds like a Austin martin or summat. Well worth the money :yahoo:

Sounds good :teeth: - have always liked the Scorpions because they make a nice loud noise - am tempted by this although concerned it could be too much!! Good to see it's making you guys so happy. Phil's clearly done well with this :)