The price of paint....

marzman

Hey all...

I went to my local bodyshop in macc today (Whittles - id recommend them to anyone) where i get all my work done, and they said the price of paint has doubled in the last few months...

Something about an EU directive to phase out oil-based paints, as they're polluting, and replace them with water-based paints. So they're taxing oil-based paints heavily because of this? The problem with this though is that existing cars still need to be painted with oil-based paints to match though!

Anyway, to get my AUT eyelids and my intake duct sprayed, its costing me £100 :scare:

...pick them up on friday though so gonna have a nice little saturday fitting them ;)

The nissan paint is waterbased AFAIK so it should not affect you.

+1 Just a load of bull. :dry:

+2 - when I got some work done by Chips Away they told me it'd be more expensive than normal as they have to use both types rather than just oil based all over. Oil based for the chips/touch up and water based for the full spray of the scuff I was having done. Nissan paint is definately water based. Would love to have oil based on there, it would last a bit longer!!

just a question to those people in the know , what do you guys reckon a full respray in oil based would cost? because this water based paint on mine is a joke, got the car in jan in really good condition and now the front bumper and bonnet are really starting to take a pummeling.. loads of small stone chips... imho it really lets this car down , can see a lot of zeds rotting away if not cared for, over the years... this is a step back in time over what was already available...

Are you talking about painting the whole car - same colour or different?

If you talking about a complete strip and repaint job your probably looking at around £2.5K.

It could cost 1.5K if you find the right person and you pay by cash (bodyshops love cash /direct payment as insurance jobs normally take 2/3/4 months to get the money)

Depending on how bad it is you might want to look at the paint films that are out there.

Just had my front bumper painted, only cost £120 cash. looks perfect, he even stuck the badge back on and washed my car :p

Thats crazy money! Are you sure they did a propper job? Did they totally smooth it down before painting to get all the existing stone chips out? That is very cheap. :surrender:

the paint for our TVR Tuscan cost £495 ltr.

I'm guessing that will be the Chameleon paint then.

Thats crazy money! Are you sure they did a propper job? Did they totally smooth it down before painting to get all the existing stone chips out? That is very cheap. :surrender:

Quite possible. If the bumper was in good condition it can be fairly easy to do.

That said if that price includes removal and refitting thats good going.

Just had my front bumper painted, only cost £120 cash. looks perfect, he even stuck the badge back on and washed my car :p

i got my front bumper repainted for £80 recently :thumbs:

i picked up paint today, 1.5ltr of basecoat was £40, you wouldnt need anywere near that, probably 250ml, i wouldnt believe what they're saying.